What do you think is causing this lag?

CharleyDanger

I know very little about the inner workings of a computer and how it relates to on screen performance. Just recently I started to see some serious lag on the Fleet and in WZs. I then did a ton of google searches, read a bunch of forum posts, and tried many different things to fix the lag. After all that I still get a ton of lag when there are more than 8 players standing close to me. I was hoping maybe someone could give some feed back on what they think might be causing the lag. I will list some info below...

I have a quad core processor

Nvidia GTX 550ti graphics card (I think that card has 1GB dedicated)

8GB of Ram

The server latency floats between 40ms and 75ms

The lag only happens when 8 more people are standing near me

The lag still happens with the graphics on the lowest possible settings

This is the first time in 8 month of playing that lag has been an issue

The lag is worse on the Prophecy of the Five server than it is on the Harbinger (and I live on the east coast)

I have tired every troubleshooting idea that Bioware has ever suggested on this forum.

Edited by CharleyDanger

I have no idea, I get lag too, and I have a decent build... I think it has something to do with my dying hard drive .. I get 32 latency when the wifi isnt being hogged by other devices.

Replacing the hard drive , when I get it i'll let you know if the lag situation has changed. Sometimes it's ok and sometimes it is annoying.

Try Ctrl+Shift+F(in SWTOR) and post what the numbers in the bottom left hand corner say.

I was on the White Nova (No other players close to me) and it hovered around 105.0 (100.0) but when I was on the Viaken (In the GTN section) it was 15.5 (15.0)

I was on the White Nova (No other players close to me) and it hovered around 105.0 (100.0) but when I was on the Viaken (In the GTN section) it was 15.5 (15.0)

Well its clear that your lag is fps lag then(aka video lag). Looking at what you've said about your specs I don't see any reason that you should be getting such terrible fps, and lowering graphics setting should help at least somewhat. Its pretty apparent that the problem you've got has nothing to do with server lag, isp, internet connection, etc., so you can rule those kinds of things out in your search.

When it drops down to 15ish what colour are the numbers (red or green)? One is CPU bound, one is GPU bound (and I can never remember which is which).

EDIT:

Greetings All,

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4748197&postcount=8

Edited by GoldenHornet

So I said the hell with it and set everything to max settings.... and the FPS leveled out to 60 FPS in areas with a few a ppl, and 30 FPS in the PvP/GTN sections of the fleet. How in the hell is that possible? The FPS went up in the areas where it used to be terrible, and went down in the areas where it used be great.

So I said the hell with it and set everything to max settings.... and the FPS leveled out to 60 FPS in areas with a few a ppl, and 30 FPS in the PvP/GTN sections of the fleet. How in the hell is that possible? The FPS went up in the areas where it used to be terrible, and went down in the areas where it used be great.

Well it should be going down everywhere. I haven't the foggiest idea why this would occur.

*EDIT

60 is perfectly fine btw, and 30 should at least be playable.

Edited by Vandicus

Well it should be going down everywhere. I haven't the foggiest idea why this would occur.

*EDIT

60 is perfectly fine btw, and 30 should at least be playable.

Yeah, even 30 is fine. Most console shooters run at 30. It still gets down to 10 when there are a ton of ppl around. I just do not understand why this is happening now, and not before.

NVidia recently issued a new driver, so you could try rolling back or install the latest if you haven't done so already. You could also try posting in the CS forum - might be worth doing a game repair from the launcher just in case you get told to repair at least 5x to be sure everything gets fixed.

NVidia recently issued a new driver, so you could try rolling back or install the latest if you haven't done so already. You could also try posting in the CS forum - might be worth doing a game repair from the launcher just in case you get told to repair at least 5x to be sure everything gets fixed.

I downloaded the new driver already. I also read a bunch of threads in the CS forum about low FPS issues. I tried all the fixes that CS recommended. Nothing has worked so far. After reading how many people have had this issue, and reading how nothing has worked for the vast majority of people, I am starting to think that a high end graphics card is needed to play this game on high settings. It is just odd that my GTX 550ti plays most games on high settings just fine, but not this one. Well, at least it has not been enough to play the game on high settings in the past two weeks. In the past I never had an FPS issue with SWTOR.

Edited by CharleyDanger

Is this related to the nameplate scaling issue?

Try disabling all nameplates first to see if it fixes your FPS issues.

Then add them up, but disable "nameplate scaling"

Then enable nameplate scaling, and see if your FPS drops

This last step makes my game stutter a lot (since 1.5?)

Report it.

Still waiting for a fix on this

:rak_02: