Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

Being choked 3 times in a row is just not fun. Had it happen today. I just sipped my coffee.

As someone who force chokes others, I can attest that it WILL NOT stun you if your resolve bar is white.

What it WILL do is give you the visual effect, make you take damage, and give me my focus points.

Are you sure you are stunned?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This used to work pre 1.2 now as a jugg tank I can't run the ball from the center to the first ramp with out being stun locked. I knew how the resolve bar worked prior to 1.2 and could, like it says "almost run a huttball from one end to the other" now that won't happen. I am wondering if anyone has read anything from the dev's regarding a fix to this. I am really starting to loose interest in pvp.

Does the original post need to be edited / updated since 1.2 changes? That is to say, are there any intentional changes to resolve mechanics? How about new bugs and or bug fixes?

It would be nice if Bioware could appoint some volunteer mods ... then we might have mods separate out the pure complaining into a separate thread so those of us who only want technical information would have less garbage to sift through. On the poker forums I participate in we have a great crew of volunteer mods that do exactly this.

How much of resolve mechanics can be tested by dueling? Presumably what ever can't be tested by dueling (e.g. requires 2 players to have enough stuns and knockbacks to run the experiment) can be tested by open world PvP? I

Which class has the most CCs and/or knockbacks?

Edited by funkiestj

Resolve, Crowd Control (CC) and You

Players first coming to SWTOR often complain that the “resolve” system doesn't work. In my opinion, it represents a unique solution to the problem of chain CC. For those who understand how it works, like my readers at the end of this guide, resolve offers a system in which good players will make good choices and thereby reap the benefits that lesser knowledgeable players will complain don't work.

First, what is crowd control (CC)?

Crowd control, or CC as it's abbreviated, was originally intended in MMO's as an ability used by certain low dps classes to make them worthwhile in a group. The abilities range from a short term stun that allows continued damage of the target, to a long term sleep used out of combat to make a mob no longer take actions until it receives damage. PvPers immediately saw the value in these abilities and adopted them for their own uses often to the scorn of those pvpers that didn't have them.

In SWTOR we have three types of CC:

Snares: an ability that slows the target by a percent up to 100%

Mezz: an ability which causes a target to no longer have the ability to take action for a period of time or until damage is taken (whichever comes first). Sometimes these abilities can only be used against certain types of targets (droid) or when a target is out of combat.

Stun: an ability of a short term duration that prevents a target from taking action regardless of the amount of damage taken

In PvP the three above categories have specific uses to consider. First, one will usually always keep one's target snared so that one can keep on top of them as a melee, or away from them as a ranged. Even in a ranged versus ranged fight, putting a snare on the enemy will help to unbalance his gameplay a bit and reduce the chance he can successfully use LOS (line of sight) to avoid one. Second, Mezz can be useful in a small engagement where AoE will unlikely occur. For example, in Voidstar the disarm bomb ability is much shorter in length than the time a Whirlwind will take a player out of action. Lastly, stuns work best either in a chain with another player to maximize the amount of time an enemy has to endure damage OR when the other player is in a hazardous situation (environmental damage area). Additionally, stuns can be used a cast interrupt against healers OR as an actual stun to kill a player that doesn't know what he's doing or perhaps burned his CC Breaker earlier.

Secondly, what is a CC Breaker?

In SWTOR, every character has a stun ability and a CC breaker. The CC breaker is an ability that BREAKS CC. Different classes have different names for this ability. Not all classes have the same cooldown between uses of this ability. Not much more to say about that other than learn when to use it. Although all characters get a CC breaker, not everyone knows when to use it properly (to be elaborated on).

Thirdly, what is Resolve?

Resolve is SWTOR's method of preventing chain CC. Generally, for those leveling up through the pvp bracket, Resolve seems to do nothing. I myself have played part to numerous occassions in which I've been stunned, broken the stun with my CC breaker, only to get immediately stunned again. While quite frustrating, I eventually came to realize I was not using my CC break at the right moment.

Resolve is a bar that fills up next to one's avatar and the avatar of one's enemy. When the bar fills up, the person gains immunity to further CC. The length of this immunity is almost long enough to run a huttball from the beginning of the ramps to the goal with a bit of luck. The problem is, most players find that the bar doesn't fill up until they're just about dead. Even when the bar does fill up, the immunity doesn't matter until the cc that filled one's bar wears off. This is where an experienced player knows why resolve is kinda cool.

Finally, how do I take advantage of this system?

An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC. Then, while stunned and taking a beating, he doesn't take as much damage as the enemy is hoping to inflict. Thus the CC wears off and the player resumes his PvP having SAVED his CC breaker. Now, when the player gets CC'd again, he immediately uses his CC breaker (because two stuns will fill the bar) and gains immunity to all further CC for a good length of time. Getting this to work in Huttball while carrying the ball works wonders since most players have no idea their CC won't work when the target has a white bar of resolve.

Its very important to remember that CC does not work on a player who has a white bar of resolve. Its also important to realize that using CC on someone will give them immunity to further uses once the bar fills up HOWEVER, resolve does not affect snares. So when the resolve bar fills up, one can still snare the player even to the point of zero movement. Furthermore, snaring a player does not increase his resolve bar. So use snares as often as needed without any worry. For those warriors with the ability to cause a 100% snare, remember that it will ALWAYS cause this effect. There is no immunity against it.

Another simple strategy to use regarding CC is to test a player's knowledge. Instead of opening up with one's awesome 6 second stun, try using a garbage mezz on the player. If one has an addition stun like many melee classes do, try using that first. A less sophisticated player will automatically use their CC breaker, thus allowing one to immediately follow up with the long 6 second stun whenever it tactically suits one. I use this strategy all the time.

In reverse, its important to know what stuns to break and which to eat. Anytime someone stuns one's character in a manner that throws one on the ground, beware using the CC break. A stun that floors a player will only last between 2 and 3 seconds. Stealthers will often mezz a player before starting a fight, just to see if the player will try to break it. If the situation will allow it, save one's CC break. Additionally, don't use a CC break on a snare unless absolutely necessary since snares usually have VERY short cooldowns and can rapidly reapply.

Examples of CC not to break include, snares that result from getting pushed. Snipers and some Sorcerors have a 100% snare they do when they AoE push people away. Unless one is taking damage or really want to kill the pusher, consider eating this one. If one's character gets slept, don't break it. As mentioned twice above, abilities that cause a lose of control belonging to the "Mezz" class of CC breaks if one takes damage. So when tactically unnecessary for one to take action, just ride it out. There is only one objective in game that can be capped in the 8 seconds and that's the disarm bomb in voidstar.

So in retrospect, resolve may seem like a broken system, but actually has some interesting layers of complexity to it. Those players who know these tricks, will see that resolve not only does work, but can be gamed to work for one.

the resolve bar system was buggy before and didnt work very well now after 1.2 this resolve system is even worse.

so i have a gunslinger that has this ability called leg shot that roots a player guess u call it 100% snare, u say theres no immunity against it but i have used it countless times on 2 handed saber sith warriors and 9 times out of 10 it does not stop them and few times it was just him and me on the side lines of a huttball by the trash cans i hit him with my leg shot and ran around the trash can to try to los him but my leg shot did nothing to him didnt even slow him down. hacks? or is there a sith warrior buff that prevents snares?

Some good info for new players posted by the OP so well done, but currently Resolve is bugged. I am just wondering when this will be fixed as sometimes with full resolve I am immune to CC, other times full resolve bar and I am still being chain cc'd. It's ridiculous. I have not seen any post from BW developers saying they are aware of this nor that they are making changes to resolve in future patches.

Please FIX this bug as timing cc breaks, timing abilities on players is hit and miss sometimes as the system is bugged.

They should call the PvP in this game Stun Wars. I have basically had it. I have never played an MMO where you are rooted, stunned, kicked back, pulled multiple times in a row etc. etc. etc. for a majority of PvP. The only time this does not happen is when you’re running back or running to a location where there are no players to attack you. The Resolve bar is completely a Joke. It only kicks in after you been stunned, rooted, kicked back, Pulled and force choked and after you are dead the 100% full resolve bar reminds you when you revive as it runs down to zero how pathetically useless it was during all the CCs that just killed you. I have read all the BS forms like this one about how you need to manage your CC’s so as not to fill up someone’s resolve bar to fast and don’t pop your brake until it is full “What a Joke”. On my Sith warrior tank I can completely Stun rrape someone easily. I hit them with a quick stun then kick them ½ across the map then jump on them beat the **** out of them then force choke them for another 5 sec and after that if they are not dead I just fear them for 8 sec and move on to some other dumb *** and do it all over again. Even when they use their stun brake I can still cc rrape them good. the Resolve bar is an easy fix but I guess Stun Wars is not a priority for the Developers in this game.

Had to bump this, didn't even know I had a resolve bar.. ;P

Now, the tables may turn at last ! (hopefully).

More noobs such as myself need to see this, it will reduce QQ by about, oh.... I'd say 1000%.. :rolleyes:

Sorry but no. Having played PVP now since the game dropped the "Resolve Bar" mechanic is BROKE!

Sure you can read this guide and maybe in some situations you may get a benefit but BEING SNARED IS A FORM OF CROWD CONTROL!

Everything that hinders your movement is some form of control hence the CC name. I simply cannot tell you how many times I have been snared, rooted, slowed and stun locked to death. This is not how George advertised it. Stun lock and death is supposed to be non-existent, yet here I am again doing some funky fish, stuck in the air, glowthing on me while I get the crap kicked outta me. I look at my resolve bar, IT'S FULL! Yet here I am.

The only way this works without some hitch is that when the bar is full you are no longer stunned. PERIOD! When the resolve bar is full your stun is immediately interrupted, you are free to move and defend yourself, not snared/controlled.

Anything else is BS

Sorry but no. Having played PVP now since the game dropped the "Resolve Bar" mechanic is BROKE!

Sure you can read this guide and maybe in some situations you may get a benefit but BEING SNARED IS A FORM OF CROWD CONTROL!

Everything that hinders your movement is some form of control hence the CC name. I simply cannot tell you how many times I have been snared, rooted, slowed and stun locked to death. This is not how George advertised it. Stun lock and death is supposed to be non-existent, yet here I am again doing some funky fish, stuck in the air, glowthing on me while I get the crap kicked outta me. I look at my resolve bar, IT'S FULL! Yet here I am.

The only way this works without some hitch is that when the bar is full you are no longer stunned. PERIOD! When the resolve bar is full your stun is immediately interrupted, you are free to move and defend yourself, not snared/controlled.

Anything else is BS

I've found the only way to get resolve to kick in a lot of the time is to hold the command.. but I shouldn't have to do that I don't think. Does force leap break snares also? If it does, might start saving mine for times of need..

There's only one benefit from having a full resolve bar and CC immunity. It is to pass through the fires and through the ramps on your way to score in Huttball. DO WE AGREE SO FAR?

An expirienced player according to this thread manages to get with cc immunity from the first fire to the last before the scoreline before he can be stunned again.. right? WRONG, he can be rooted and feared despite his cc immunity..:rak_02: How about that!!!

So according to this thread, i need to plan ahead and get stunned and pushed/pulled 3-4 times (idk how many after 1.2) and then i need to play an inquisitor so i can immediately force speed after the first fire cools down,cc break if rooted, jump from the top of the ramp over the last fire ( cause thats how inqs roll) and score.. Sorry but thats not expirience that is just inqs being op attackers in huttball.

Resolve just grants few secs of immunity after several cc and it ended up being a very unreliable mechanism because roots,fears and snares are disregarded. It doesnt bother me that it's there but it's still unreliable. Thats all and deal with it.

Edited by Fotizz

im sorry but all of you who say resolve doesnt work is full of garbage resolve works just fine and i use it to my full advantage all the time if i am slowed or snared i can still fight so im pretty sure that this guide is very accurate the only thing it does not have is accurate description of the different effects stuns/mezzes have on your resolve bar

for me cryo grenade fills 3/4s and neural surge fills half a knockback i believe only fills a 1/4 but something like mind maze fills it instantly. now sometimes it "feels" like it doesnt work but the truth of the matter is that it works fine and my perception is screwed and im usually stunned twice and then rooted or snared so it "feels" like i am still stunned most of the people who say resolve is broken or bugged are usually falling in to this same trap.

the other issue is that AC such as shadows have a cc immunity so with an empty resolve bar they cannot be stunned while frustrating, the animation is easy to notice once you know what it looks like. again this is perception of "resolve doesnt work qqqqq he had no resolve and the stun/pull/knockback didn't work qqqqqq" its frustrating but manageable if you do not get tunnel visioned. Resolve system is the greatest cc system i have ever seen.

Diminishing returns was and always been a garbage solution or "counter" to cc this system puts the player in more control of it and adds a bit more skill to the game...hopefully all of the people here who have complained so hard in this forum that resolve doesnt work have quit the game or learned differently, because resolve works fine.

Resolve work fine when fight in wz Imp vs Imps ,but when i fight vs reps many time resolve dont work because it is buged..fix this or remove resolve from game ...5-6 jedi sage come to wz and stun stun stun..19 k health goes down,no single shot..dead..and this is game vith resolve...funny..but not for me..just stand and die...brawo bioware..

Resolve work fine when fight in wz Imp vs Imps ,but when i fight vs reps many time resolve dont work because it is buged..fix this or remove resolve from game ...5-6 jedi sage come to wz and stun stun stun..19 k health goes down,no single shot..dead..and this is game vith resolve...funny..but not for me..just stand and die...brawo bioware..

Same thing here and i thought it was only me. Of course no resolve could handle the insane amount of CC we have in WZs.

all cc in this game should be a maximum of 2 seconds.. maybe not snares but all mezzs and stuns should only last 2 seconds. this pvp system really needs to get fixed. i've been perma stunned for better part of 11 seconds. dead... the game is no fun when you just stand there being able to do nothing and just take hits. makes you want to walk away from the keyboard.

The chain cc's in pvp in this game are out of control. By the time it would be solid white most toons are dead from being interrupted and cc'd to death. This and the loading screens that load another loading screen that then opens up to a pointless orbital station to another loading screen are my only real complaint about this game. IMO one of the few things wow has right is it's pvp.

They should call the PvP in this game Stun Wars. I have basically had it. I have never played an MMO where you are rooted, stunned, kicked back, pulled multiple times in a row etc. etc. etc. for a majority of PvP. The only time this does not happen is when you’re running back or running to a location where there are no players to attack you. The Resolve bar is completely a Joke. It only kicks in after you been stunned, rooted, kicked back, Pulled and force choked and after you are dead the 100% full resolve bar reminds you when you revive as it runs down to zero how pathetically useless it was during all the CCs that just killed you. I have read all the BS forms like this one about how you need to manage your CC’s so as not to fill up someone’s resolve bar to fast and don’t pop your brake until it is full “What a Joke”. On my Sith warrior tank I can completely Stun rrape someone easily. I hit them with a quick stun then kick them ½ across the map then jump on them beat the **** out of them then force choke them for another 5 sec and after that if they are not dead I just fear them for 8 sec and move on to some other dumb *** and do it all over again. Even when they use their stun brake I can still cc rrape them good. the Resolve bar is an easy fix but I guess Stun Wars is not a priority for the Developers in this game.

Agreed the pvp designers in this game should be replaced with a team that wants players to have fun in pvp. There's really no point in pvp once you hit 50 in this game. And yeah I'm going to watch a resolve bar at the same time I'm watching everyone's health as I'm healing and shielding them....

im not even going to read the op, resolve does not work, never worked, will never work. All we all do is get chain stunned, no one can tell me different. I have mulitple toons who get chain stunned constantly by imps. Fk it. Its a joke. Needs fixed. First mmo in history that allows this.

So true and the cc's and interrupts should be taken out of pvp in this game. Healers and casters need to have a way to escape a melee zerg fest like a warlock but there is no reason every class should have all of these cc's and stuns and snares in pvp.

i am posting again in this thread because it's the first thing that came to my mind after my last wz.

JUST GOT KNOCKED DOWN BY A SCOUNDREL WHILE HAVING A FULL RESOLVE BAR..

This thread ended up being an inside joke