The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

23/23/0 - Anyone test this on pts yet?

Willzilla

i almost immediately thought of that while entertaining the split use of points with this, but then too hastily dismissed it, thinking that the new flame engine now in the shield tree made more sense. i thought it may trump the value i think of the slow prototype flame thrower style, PRIMARILY because you can have heat problem in ion and burn stances with the pft (doesn't mean it can't be worked it just means it requires very attentive choice/priority and practice with a good proactive sequence to use your procs at the right time and not too late).

flame engine doesnt have the heat problem, and I can see it's designed to let you pop the cooldown at the beginning of a combat, sort of to blitz and establish good threat. i am a bit confused with the skill point description, it's as if it used to be 3 or 4 ranks. the cooldown with both points to proc a flame engine is equal to the cooldown of flame thrower. the cool thing for the full shield spec though is it mitigates heat since it will be free, but partly I feel like they did that as a balance against the removal of the heat dump from the top tree ability that now takes more wind up and will not be there every cooldown perfectly like clockwork like the old version. now you kind of have these 2 procs in addition to your rocket punch reset and heat vent. in fact when flame engine goes off the audio is the same sound we used to hear all the time the yell for the rocket punch reset.

The one thing that could let it work is focused around the free sweeps on jet leap though. I am seeing some huge synergy there, because sweeps build your flame thrower stack, so you could always charge up the 3rd stack in time and spend your focus on managing the heat. certainly warrants some trial use. i will put that on my tanky geared test guy and see what happens

Edited by mrObtuse

ok, so it was fun to play. at times heat got up there but it indeed proved that the free flame sweep allowed charge up to the 3 stack while clearing heat to be at a nice level for the use of the triple stack unload. the most prohibitive thing being the maneuvering to grab a new charge during the longer bosses we faced on hard hammer station.

it's inconclusive yet, although it did feel like a distinctly powerhouse-damage approach to the tank in exchange for the new mitigation style stuff at the top of the adjusted shield tree. definitely like it would be great as an offtank laying all kinds of threat and pain while mopping up multi targets. similar applicability for warzone role i'd imagine

ok, so it was fun to play. at times heat got up there but it indeed proved that the free flame sweep allowed charge up to the 3 stack while clearing heat to be at a nice level for the use of the triple stack unload. the most prohibitive thing being the maneuvering to grab a new charge during the longer bosses we faced on hard hammer station.

it's inconclusive yet, although it did feel like a distinctly powerhouse-damage approach to the tank in exchange for the new mitigation style stuff at the top of the adjusted shield tree. definitely like it would be great as an offtank laying all kinds of threat and pain while mopping up multi targets. similar applicability for warzone role i'd imagine

I would have loved to have tested this myself, but since I updated<lol to windows 8, my fps has been horrible. I figured heat may be an issue, but it's nice to know that it is manageable. Hopefully I will be able to test this build soon. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, this is a pretty fun spec. It's actually quite easy to manage. It may do well in pvp and pve. I read the other iron fist post. Flaming fist.....I like it.
Link to that spec? I play Tank PT on live now and was considering several different specs for 2.0

I've been playing a very similar spec since the start of 2.0 testing, but as 22/24/0 which I have found to be slightly more effective than 23/23/0 in PvP, where you want the ability to reliably snare players.

Version with a power generator for added damage:

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/231/?build=023202320010212000110000000000000223021220100212201100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

Version with a shield generator:

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/231/?build=023202302010210200110000000000000223021220100212201100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

The spec does decent damage (from my parses, around 10-15% more DPS than full Shieldtech) and much better burst, at the cost of the 20% self heal every 90 seconds, the AOE snare on Flame Sweep (but you get a single target snare in return), the 30% speed boost after Jet Charge, and some relatively minor defensive talents like the absorb from heat screen and the extra 4% defense from deflective plating.

In PvP at least it is far more effective than full Shieldtech, and may well become our only viable PvP tank build. Due to its nature of flying in with Jet Charge, and applying tactical burst, I dubbed it "The Mantis":D

Edited by LordExozone