The build contemplation. Discussion.

Lieflen

So I've never really understood the whole complaining of the smash class. In 2.0 the build was significantly nerfed for the constant complaints about how the damage was OP and needed to be rid of. I simply like the fact of builds doing their jobs against other builds that can equally put out. Well you got your wishes which I am deeply saddened by. I Have a 50 sentinel, 50 mercenary and a 50 sin, I have played both against and with the smash/sweep build before and I think it is simply a well designed and effective at its purpose skill tree. The build itself didn't need to be nerfed but other trees in all classes needed better synergy just like the smash build. The fact is in 2 stuns a sentinel/Mara is in serious trouble as well as against any CC. I don't want this to be a L2P issue however the simple fact is, the smash build did its job well and effectively and due to the complaining it was nerfed. In my mind you don't fix something that is broken, which it wasn't at all, the other classes and builds needed to be fixed and more powerful so that a healer can be equally good at healing against a dps. Or a combat vs focus build have an equal footing on damage just in different ways. The smash build should have never been really nerfed other than the focus on single target damage and other classes should have just been more balanced and buffed to an equal level.

/discuss

The damage isn't so much the issue as the AOE part is. it simply did too much damage to too many players. It is easy to set up, hard to heal through, and mass groups of smashers just compounded the issue. that's why people screamed nerf, not so much the 6k+ hits (which most classes can also do)

The damage isn't so much the issue as the AOE part is. it simply did too much damage to too many players. It is easy to set up, hard to heal through, and mass groups of smashers just compounded the issue. that's why people screamed nerf, not so much the 6k+ hits (which most classes can also do)

Perhaps raise group heals or give every class an ability that reduces aoe damage received for a limited time. The whole point of focus was to be an AOE build. So therefore it was hitting many like the AOE is meant to. But I do see your point.

Perhaps raise group heals or give every class an ability that reduces aoe damage received for a limited time. The whole point of focus was to be an AOE build. So therefore it was hitting many like the AOE is meant to. But I do see your point.

Not just the AoE part is the problem.

The problem is: the best DMG output was given to classes who can wear medium / heavy armor, also has the biggest HP and has the best defensive cooldowns in game. Basically the best dmg was given to the tanks.

Also, assasins / snipers has lesser single target burst DPS than Smash-builds AoE damage.

No, smash should go away.

Just to clarify. Smash has not been nerfed on 2.0. Let me show you the numbers: -15% to surge from spec, approx -7% from surge from new curve, total of -22% on 1 move, namely smash. However consider that the new expertise gives a 30% difference between damage and defense AND that there is a better curve for bonus dmg so smash only has been buffed by at least 8% on warzones, thats not to mention that you can get shockwave faster and the addition of an extra snare. Also you now get 9% more dmg after a smash and +15% surge to ALL attacks. Tell me now, how is that a nerf ? force choke doesn't build stacks ? lol you wont need it anyway people will be dead before you need a second batch of shockwave. Not to mention that with a more severe crit curve the value of an auto crit has gone significantly up now.

So I've never really understood the whole complaining of the smash class...

How is that possible? After six months of people complaining, griping and arguing, I have to assume you have a problem with reading comprehension (on par with your problem with using the return key...). You don't have to agree with the assessment of people who think Smash is overtuned, but do you seriously not understand the argument?

There are a lot of people I see that run smash seemingly due to being terrible. Carnage, if you ask me; is more devastating to a single target but I see a lot of smash guys out there that if you engage them melee and run around, they just can't target you and use it as a crutch. Probably makes them feel like a hero sometimes even though they are as bad as it gets.

I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. It's just annoying.

In 2.0 the build was significantly nerfed for the constant complaints about how the damage was OP and needed to be rid of.

Look at me. ROFL. ROFL. As a sentinel at least I can tell you there are many more things to be happy than sad about it.

Edited by MusicRider

The whole point of the class is to be an AOE class. The simple fact that they are enhancing single target damage and reducing the sweep AOE damage is going against the classes original purpose. I'm all for keeping classes balanced. But having synergy within the tree to focus on what it is supposed to be focused on is more important. An AOE class focuses on AOE for its damage. Single target focuses on single target. And DoT tree focuses on DoTs not any of the others. Please tell me you see my point.