Final Wave Sent!

uniscorn

A better recipe for MMO failure? Implement an irritating and elitist early access program to see how infuriated the player base can get. Then take bets on how many pre-orders get cancelled due to nerd rage.

I personally don't care all that much. If there is a new server the day I get in I'll be fine. However, if there are no new servers and the 19th comes along and I find myself not amongst the highest levels (i'm a pretty hardcore powergamer and have this week off), i'll probably cancel. There won't be any rage, I will just lose interest.

You make some great points and I completly agree with you, they had knowledge of how many people would be playing why not make a good amount of servers and slowly let people in and get EVERYONE in by a single day and not take a friggin' break from waves to get a coffee or something... the game is a very fun game, but the people running it are doing all the wrong things.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol... they haven't even invited 1/8 of the players yet... and servers are all showing full. (This is only the preorder numbers.)

100k of 920k invited at most. Its going to be UGLY on the 20th unless they start crapping servers.

Not its not going to get ugly. The servers are not full. They just have the pop limit set very low.... As they do every mmo launch

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They stopped at what... 3pm local time. They could've sent out at least one more wave tbh.

They could have and should have sent out more. There is nothing that waiting until tomorrow will do better over continuing it this evening, other than considerations for their internal staffing.

I am not happy with the way BW/EA has been handling the EGA either. I understand the technical reason behind staggered access and I think it is a good idea, but they need to seriously ramp up the speed at which they invite people. When most MMOs launch, they just let everyone join at the same time, which leads to problems, but at least most people will still end up being able to play on day 1. One day and 5 waves of invite later, all we get is a few days worth of pre-order that get to play the game. Surely the servers can handle much more than that, so why make us wait so much? Edited by Shendaar

''Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''

Well having spent all day waiting for an email that never arrived I wish I had waited and bought the game upon release day.

I don't mind if I don't get in today or tomorrow but being kept in limbo like this is very disheartening. This isn't exactly how I wish to remember my first experience of SWTOR.

So when BW eventually sends me an email I will have probably ditched the game for something less frustrating. GG on the communication.

/wave :mad:

does anyone know what date of redeem they are on? i redemed on july 28th and didnt get an invite today but was playing lotro and 2 kinmates there who redeemed later than i did already got in... was just courious as to what is happening. I can wait but im more worried that ive messed something up. but ive got my account page saying im cleared for early access etc. I also did the last 2 beta tests so i didnt update my client since i got the email that said we didnt need to that it would auto update. anyone have any ideas or is it just more of a hurry up and wait thing.

Yeah, the lack of waves is annoying. At the very least I would have expected to see a time line like:

day 1: we aim to get all of july in

day 2: we aim to get all of august in

day 3 we aim... you get the idea.

I'd be ok if it seemed like there was a plan, but so far. It literally seems like they're going... oh look those last 2 waves didnt bust the servers, lets add another!

I would be less annoyed if they said, hey, due to the amount of people sent an invite who have not yet logged in, we're now behind. WE'll try and get back on track as soon as possible.

I'd be ok about it. Not knowing, to me, is worse.

The complete lack of regard for the community is a bit of a joke. They barely keep you in the loop, had this been any other product, TV, PC, hell anything, if i don't know when its going to arrive i ring and atleast get the annoying but fair "anytime from 8am to 5pm" but if whoever i spoke to turned round and shrugged, i'd flat out cancel my order. Hell, i'll buy it from somewhere else, and i'll get it when i expect to. Obviously in this case i can't do that, which for bw is a good job. But its not inspiring much loyalty and it won't take many errors for me to lose interested because if they can't handle this, hell, who knows when theyll fix the bugs.

**** stop posting that crap, no one cares what that idiot's opinion is

Yay!

They closed the thread those people were spamming on, so now they are spreading it like a cancer to all threads... would not be surprised to see it in the "Star Wars Discussion" or RP threads... heh

I got up at 6:30 am today for nothing. Bioware needs to get things RIGHT! Here I am all excited to see if I got an email. *checks emails* and get my hopes crushed. I had better get in tomorrow because I even pre-ordered in july.

I am with you buddy. I got up early today too and I was off work today!

Too bad I will just be playing this a bit to kill time until Gw 2 turns around the corner

they hate us so much, they couldn't even let us get to 1000 pages v.v. Do we just have to prove to them, that we have the patience and time, to fill up another thread with just as many posts again. Come on people it was generating 2 pages every few seconds, hop to it.

I expect nothing but the best from everyone, MEANING -

More QQing

Bigger ragers

More outrageous meme's

More insulting and fighting

More rallying of the group hate towards bioware

go go go go go!

p.s

failest launch ever. and again. one more thing for the list

more people claiming its not a launch, despite bioware themselves calling it a launch repeatably, everywhere, including the forums and game launcher.

Im fine with the staggering launch.The only issue i see here is how slow it seems to be going.Keep up what you are doing bioware and keep an eye out to potentially keep making the waves bigger.And perhaps let more waves through if you consider it safe. Edited by SkankyPrince

This isn't exactly how I wish to remember my first experience of SWTOR.
No one wanted to their first experience with SWTOR in a line knowing that people who actually GOT IN. what a rare word someone actually getting in. Anyways, are having a great time. I am missing out on so much right now. Edited by Cordarn