[PVP Video] Assassin - A New Deception

Z-ToXiN

Enjoy!

This is my first PVP video of any game ever. This was mainly done just for fun, not claiming to be the best assassin out there. Almost all of my time as an assassin since launch has been darkness tank, for the last few months with full tank gear too (as opposed to hybrid with DPS gear). So after I took a break for a few weeks, when I came back I decided to try something new and play Deception which I had never touched before (I remember to old days before the Deception buff when me and my friends used to laugh at deception sins hehe). I found it to be quite fun and decided to make a video with it which was also fun to do. Also its been very educational, watching vids of some of my 1v1s and other things and seeing what I did right and wrong and learning that way. The video was done over the last few weeks which were my first few weeks as deception. Thanks for watching and hope you enjoyed it!

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Are you using Low Slash after Spike???

Don't do that..

Yes, that is part of a very specific opening strategy for duels or 1v1s. The idea is to spike>low slash>crushing darkness> recklessness> unload your burst.

With Crushing Darkness, you get a "free" 1k-2k damage in that the opponent cant respond to as they are stunned. Not to mention the just under 500-1000 damage from low slash itself. Its not much but it is all damage before the opponent is even able to do anything, and your main damage dealers come right after anyway, so that 2k-3k opening damage (from spike, low slash, crushing darkness) can make a difference in the end. This does however slow the duel down a bit and makes it take longer, but thats what its about - being in control.

Also, if the opponent panics and uses their CC break on low slash (which it appears they did in the first 1v1 in the vid) , then you have an advantage for the rest of the duel.

It does fill resolve, that is the drawback, but there is still enough left to shock or sap later if necessary.

So this is a choice of strategy, and the goal here is to hit them real hard to start before they can do much to you and try and kill your opponent fast, as opposed to a longer drawn out fight.

Yes, that is part of a very specific opening strategy for duels or 1v1s. The idea is to spike>low slash>crushing darkness> recklessness> unload your burst.

With Crushing Darkness, you get a "free" 1k-2k damage in that the opponent cant respond to as they are stunned. Not to mention the just under 500-1000 damage from low slash itself. Its not much but it is all damage before the opponent is even able to do anything, and your main damage dealers come right after anyway, so that 2k-3k opening damage (from spike, low slash, crushing darkness) can make a difference in the end. This does however slow the duel down a bit and makes it take longer, but thats what its about - being in control.

Also, if the opponent panics and uses their CC break on low slash (which it appears they did in the first 1v1 in the vid) , then you have an advantage for the rest of the duel.

It does fill resolve, that is the drawback, but there is still enough left to shock or sap later if necessary.

So this is a choice of strategy, and the goal here is to hit them real hard to start before they can do much to you and try and kill your opponent fast, as opposed to a longer drawn out fight.

I'm having difficulty understanding this strategy.....the answers to just 2 questions could clear it up for me though.

1-Why would I want to open with a rotation that fills resolve before I ever do a stitch of meaningful damage?

2-What is the point of spike in this rotation? (Low slash works fine without applying spike, thus not filling the resolve bar)

Drop spike from that opener and you'd have a better opening.....

Edited by WickedImage

by filling the resolve you miss the opportunity of low slashing Force shroud VS an assassin. Low slash on shroud> than your opener. Not to mention how better it is when you low slash shroud and have your buff for maul. It can easily be 5k damage with only a small amount of resolve so lets take low slash +maul at the proper situation vs your opener

Low slash and maul use less force, deal more damage and fill less resolve.

you opener use too much force,deal less damage and give almost full resolve.

You are loosing the ''extra damage'' you get from you opener somewhere in the figh and loose too much control by filling the resolve.

Also you are using a lot of force in a useless way. I know you have the force regen buff but spike+low slash+ crushing darkness is too much.

And finaly, the spike,low slash,crushing darkness combo give A LOT of time to the defender to ask for help.

Also you are using a lot of force in a useless way. I know you have the force regen buff but spike+low slash+ crushing darkness is too much.

And finaly, the spike,low slash,crushing darkness combo give A LOT of time to the defender to ask for help.

Not only that, it also gives any decent player enough time to think about how exactly he's going to destroy you when low slash breaks.

If I'm stunned 4-6 seconds, you better be sure you'll kill me before I can press my defensive cooldowns or i'll rip through you.

Edited by Stealios

by filling the resolve you miss the opportunity of low slashing Force shroud VS an assassin. Low slash on shroud> than your opener. Not to mention how better it is when you low slash shroud and have your buff for maul. It can easily be 5k damage with only a small amount of resolve so lets take low slash +maul at the proper situation vs your opener

Low slash and maul use less force, deal more damage and fill less resolve.

you opener use too much force,deal less damage and give almost full resolve.

You are loosing the ''extra damage'' you get from you opener somewhere in the figh and loose too much control by filling the resolve.

Eliminating Spike and going straight into Low Slash may just be a better idea. Id have to try that out and see how it works. Im no master of Deception, still got a lot to learn so I'll try doing that.

As for wasting force and filling resolve... These are not really issues for me in practice. I dont have a problem running out of force, if I get low I use the regen CD and its all good. As for resolve.... again this usually isnt a problem, still have enough left to use electrocute. Yes, it does give up using another low slash (as you mentioned during shroud) and gives you less flexibility later on. Though by that point their health is usually fairly low (below 50%) while you are pretty welll off and its just a matter of playing smart and finishing them off. You get around their defensive CDs in other ways, you have your own CD's and can always speed and kit them away.

It is a tradeoff. You throw most everything you have early on. There are counters to this strategy, that is true. It is a non-standard way of doing 1v1s that I have found to be very effective in WZs and I like it. There may certainly be ways to improve it and execute better, but the overall idea works great for me.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Enjoy!

This is my first PVP video of any game ever. This was mainly done just for fun, not claiming to be the best assassin out there. Almost all of my time as an assassin since launch has been darkness tank, for the last few months with full tank gear too (as opposed to hybrid with DPS gear). So after I took a break for a few weeks, when I came back I decided to try something new and play Deception which I had never touched before (I remember to old days before the Deception buff when me and my friends used to laugh at deception sins hehe). I found it to be quite fun and decided to make a video with it which was also fun to do. Also its been very educational, watching vids of some of my 1v1s and other things and seeing what I did right and wrong and learning that way. The video was done over the last few weeks which were my first few weeks as deception. Thanks for watching and hope you enjoyed it!

not available on ipad... terrible

The spike>maul>low slash>crushing darkness rotation is being touted by some of the more "popular" assassin posters as of late *cough*Waka*cough*. I disagree with that rotation and think its a waste of time, resolve, and focus while doing far less damage than you otherwise could with a normal opening rotation just to try and force a CC break. My whole point is that you can force the same strategy from your opponent by doing reck>overcharge>discharge>electrocute>thrash/VSx2>shock>low slash with maul placed where applicable. With this opener, you can still force cloak>spike because the resolve bar will allow you to use spike at 75-80% full but will not allow for other forms of CC after a spike opener because it takes up massive amounts of resolve. The spike>LS>CD opener does have some applicable use in specific situations but shouldn't be used as a normal opener. It's WAY too resolve/force/lack of overall damage dependant as opposed to A normal opener. But what do I know? I've only played the class since beta and am a bad player, as per Waka...

u can start directly with reckless-discharge-shock (in 99% cases the target will not able to do anything within this 2 sec period), then low slash-maul-force shroud-blackout-volt slashx2-shock-force cloak-mind trap/spike-(blackout)-discharge-(blackout)-assassinate etc.. with this rotation u ll bring enemy down much faster that is essential for node capping.

however the best way is to spec to madness use mind trap and cap the node, whenever target will break u ll use second stun (wirp) and cap the node (100% works vs 1 defender).

Edited by yauhen_pt

Had fun watching.

One thing I could point out is watch your rotation against assassins...IMO you'd be better off saving low slash for shroud.

"Also its been very educational, watching vids of some of my 1v1s and other things and seeing what I did right and wrong and learning that way."

A lot of people feel like they know it all, I give you props for this! Hope you enjoyed your time as deception :]

Eliminating Spike and going straight into Low Slash may just be a better idea. Id have to try that out and see how it works. Im no master of Deception, still got a lot to learn so I'll try doing that.

As for wasting force and filling resolve... These are not really issues for me in practice. I dont have a problem running out of force, if I get low I use the regen CD and its all good. As for resolve.... again this usually isnt a problem, still have enough left to use electrocute. Yes, it does give up using another low slash (as you mentioned during shroud) and gives you less flexibility later on. Though by that point their health is usually fairly low (below 50%) while you are pretty welll off and its just a matter of playing smart and finishing them off. You get around their defensive CDs in other ways, you have your own CD's and can always speed and kit them away.

It is a tradeoff. You throw most everything you have early on. There are counters to this strategy, that is true. It is a non-standard way of doing 1v1s that I have found to be very effective in WZs and I like it. There may certainly be ways to improve it and execute better, but the overall idea works great for me.

But the guy will have one CC breaker to break the single stun you have. Kiting a mara or a jugg can be hard. kiting an other assassin too because they will have more CC left, you wont have a resolve bar and they have the exact same kiting tolls to counter a kiting player.

Imo the only good point of opening with low slash only is that its less bad then opening with mind trap. But dont make me wrong, you are smart and playing well but your opener is not even close to be decent tbh.

What about opening with discharge and shock (or discharge and maul if you get the maul buff with ur discharge) and then using low slash to land crushing darkness followed by your hybrid speciality aka death field? This give the same resolve(less than spike and LS) ,deal more damage AND might lure the CC breaker when you cast Crushing darkness and if I'm not mistaken you will be able to low slash again and use electrocute.

Personaly, the only moment where is open with crushing darkness is when I sneak behind a player and can cast it without being noticed and it happen 1 time out of 300 and its usualy vs a tank, a not very good tank

But the guy will have one CC breaker to break the single stun you have. Kiting a mara or a jugg can be hard. kiting an other assassin too because they will have more CC left, you wont have a resolve bar and they have the exact same kiting tolls to counter a kiting player.

Imo the only good point of opening with low slash only is that its less bad then opening with mind trap. But dont make me wrong, you are smart and playing well but your opener is not even close to be decent tbh.

What about opening with discharge and shock (or discharge and maul if you get the maul buff with ur discharge) and then using low slash to land crushing darkness followed by your hybrid speciality aka death field? This give the same resolve(less than spike and LS) ,deal more damage AND might lure the CC breaker when you cast Crushing darkness and if I'm not mistaken you will be able to low slash again and use electrocute.

Personaly, the only moment where is open with crushing darkness is when I sneak behind a player and can cast it without being noticed and it happen 1 time out of 300 and its usualy vs a tank, a not very good tank

Thanks for a constructive response! What Im getting from a lot of responses is that it might not be the best idea to start with spike for Deception, and perhaps to not open with a CC but rather start right away with heavy hitting damage dealers.

The seemingly controversial opener is just one strategy, I dont always use it and am not saying it is THE way to start 1v1s, and it often works out very well for me when I do use it. I think what some people may not quite see is that the opener is part of a strategy that goes for the whole duel, not just an opening strategy. I still think the LS>CD opener works well and some of the criticism doesn't really bear out in practice, although it does have its flaws. But Im no Deception pro, it is my off spec so Im not super experienced with it. Im open to improving it or finding better ways to start 1v1s; I will definitely try some of what has been suggested here and see how that goes. Deception is still sort of a work in progress for me, that kind of opener is one thing I learned early in my time with Deception and can usually execute well now and now I can learn other strategies and find better ways maybe.

BTW - I totally know what you mean with your sig Philelectric, I specialize in healer tanking in regs.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Thanks for a constructive response! What Im getting from a lot of responses is that it might not be the best idea to start with spike for Deception, and perhaps to not open with a CC but rather start right away with heavy hitting damage dealers.

The seemingly controversial opener is just one strategy, I dont always use it and am not saying it is THE way to start 1v1s, and it often works out very well for me when I do use it. I think what some people may not quite see is that the opener is part of a strategy that goes for the whole duel, not just an opening strategy. I still think the LS>CD opener works well and some of the criticism doesn't really bear out in practice, although it does have its flaws. But Im no Deception pro, it is my off spec so Im not super experienced with it. Im open to improving it or finding better ways to start 1v1s; I will definitely try some of what has been suggested here and see how that goes. Deception is still sort of a work in progress for me, that kind of opener is one thing I learned early in my time with Deception and can usually execute well now and now I can learn other strategies and find better ways maybe.

BTW - I totally know what you mean with your sig Philelectric, I specialize in healer tanking in regs.

I play Madness now, but I played Deception, for a long time. So I suggest you go Spike>Voltaic Slash (if you're full Deception) x2>Shock>Maul with proc. You should build Voltaic Slash stacks and consuming them throughout the fight. When you're at 5 stacks of Static Charge you pop Recklessness, Voltaic Slash x2, Discharge, Shock. If the 3rd stack of Recklessness isn't consumed by a chain shock (asuming you'd be 2/31/8) build the 2 stacks again and consume them together with Recklessnes by using Shock. Hope this helps.