The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Itemizing while leveling?

Xethis

My goal is to have 8 (1each AC) 50's before 2.0, PT is the last character I am going to level and have a couple questions before I start. I recently leveled an OP and a Sorc and it was very easy to gear up in dps gear for questing then just switch specs via field respec to heal for h4's and FP's. I was wondering if the PT can be done the same way. Can I keep gearing up in dps gear for questing as a Pyro, and just switch stances or specs for tanking, or should I be keeping a set of tank gear with me for H4's and FP's?

Also, if I purchase the 30% increase to xp in FP's and class quests can I effectively skip the questing on planets as they are becoming really really really boring, and keep the same leveling pace as if I were questing on planets.

Thanks.

Like the other poster stated you can wear DPS gear to tank and DPS. I don't think tank gear really exists, until 40+ anyways.

I am not sure about the XPing in FPs and how good the xp is. When I was leveling I always noticed FPs were a crapshoot xp wise because FPs suck for XP, unless you do the bonus quests. Then you need to depend on competent DPS or healers to make the run go smoothly, so FPs can be a waste of time. I once tried to complete boarding party with this horrible group and after 1hour 20m I gave up. We died so much the group decided to take a 10m repair break and I called it at that point.

Yeah, there is no tanking gear of note before level 40, and the only thing between 40-50 where a "tank" is even needed is Red Reaper. All the Heroics and Collocoid Wargame can be done without one.

Just load up on power, roll your face on the keyboard, and win.

Other than stealth classes, I don't think any class levels as painlessly as PT.

Like the other poster stated you can wear DPS gear to tank and DPS. I don't think tank gear really exists, until 40+ anyways.

I am not sure about the XPing in FPs and how good the xp is. When I was leveling I always noticed FPs were a crapshoot xp wise because FPs suck for XP, unless you do the bonus quests. Then you need to depend on competent DPS or healers to make the run go smoothly, so FPs can be a waste of time. I once tried to complete boarding party with this horrible group and after 1hour 20m I gave up. We died so much the group decided to take a 10m repair break and I called it at that point.

FP's can be great xp, boarding party is amazing for that (all the bonus quests) . All you need to do is be tank spec and find an "OK" healer and dps is pretty easy to do.

I ran it like 5 times with one group and got a level in like an hour which is faster than questing usually

Yeah, you should be fine, all you can do up until about 35-40 is just choose between main stat and endurance anyway, and endurance just gives a buffer which you don't really need. Make sure to have a shield that you can equip when tanking though.

• 3 weeks later...

at launch i made a vanguard. although i was the first 50 republic side on hyperspace cannon, this was due to being unemployed. a smuggler with a full time job nearly beat me.

this was not because the smuggler (scoundrel) is such a superior leveller, it's because imade the mistake of using a tank spec with tanking gear while levelling. the correct course was dps gear in either a tanking spec (using a healing companion) or a dps spec (using a tanking companion).

if you want to build a 2nd set of gear for tanking post 40 that's one thing, but free tionese at 50 means instant tank set anyway so just build that dps set or you will want to pull your hair out come voss with how long the fights are. your healing companion with any amount of presence will lose what becomes a battle of attrition