dyies

legolegion

I completely agree with this idea, bioware could make a lot off of selling dyes (or dye making skills/crafting techniques) from people wanting to personalize their armor even more. However i think people would abuse this if the items that you dye arent bound. Buy using a dye on the item then selling it.

The rainbow trooper armor is already in the game.

Don't use the match to chest option and taste the rainbow.

Not what i was refering to.

If there was no restrictions, you'd see people with a single chest piece with as many colours as they can fit into it. Maybe a pink backing with blue arms, yellow hilights, purple neck piece...

The horror. It can't be unimagined. :(

I completely agree with this idea, bioware could make a lot off of selling dyes (or dye making skills/crafting techniques) from people wanting to personalize their armor even more. However i think people would abuse this if the items that you dye arent bound. Buy using a dye on the item then selling it.

Placing mods in armour binds it to you, using dyes could too.

As for all the re skins, they generally have slightly different stats so other wouldn't make them obsolete!

I would like to see dyes added too!

I doubt this will happen. People keep requesting it but I still highly doubt it will EVER get implemented. They introduced the Color Unify system instead because they said they couldn't do Dyes in the first place. And I highly doubt that has changed.

Placing mods in armour binds it to you, using dyes could too.

As for all the re skins, they generally have slightly different stats so other wouldn't make them obsolete!

I would like to see dyes added too!

Then I completely agree to this! I think it would be a great idea.

I'll mention the one concern I had over this idea in this thread as well.

Alot of current gear differentiation is color based (you have the cool blue thing, not the cheap yellow version), and alot of the "aesthetic gameplay" available right now is experimenting with how certain chestpieces change the look of other items through the color unification system. (Why do you want to get that rated gear chestpiece? Because that will allow you to get that headpiece coloring you want, etc, etc - this is what alot of people spend alot of time in game doing).

If they WERE to introduce any kind of color dying system, I would hope that it would be consistent with the existing systems in the game. (IE - I do not think a free-for-all dyeing system is a good idea.) This could be limiting color-dying only to a new type of modable gear, only giving players access to certain colors (perhaps very rare colors exist as some type of rare flashpoint drop), or only allowing "secondary" colors to be tweaked.

Would some sort of dyeing system be good? It could be excellent - but it would need to have tons of limits. Its limits that make a game/toy fun (and keep us doing stuff in the game to achieve our aesthetic goals).

dyes :)

I'd like this too... WITH restrictions. I don't want to see rainbow trooper armour.

I WANT RAINBOW TROOPER ARMOUR NOW!!!!!

Anyways, I think they should be found at a vendor, on the cartel market, on the GTN (well, duh), and crafted using a new crafting skill, Painting/Dyeing.

I doubt this will happen. People keep requesting it but I still highly doubt it will EVER get implemented. They introduced the Color Unify system instead because they said they couldn't do Dyes in the first place. And I highly doubt that has changed.

Pretty sure they can make more money selling the armor and dyes kits instead of selling one piece of recolored armor. It's human nature people will like different colors. I suspect that BW is having a harder time selling certain piece of gear on cartel shop due to the color scheme not being liked while other pieces are sold more frequent.

The game isn't designed to handle textures that would allow for dyes.

Take the Halo series for instance. Master Chief's real armor color is white in the textures. The game engine uses a custom texture or a different channel of the texture to tell the game where to paint while the game itself tells it what colors to paint it. SWTOR doesnt do that. All the texture variations are custom individual textures applied to the model. So that black chestplate has a black texture. It would have to have a white texture and a color by numbers texture to do something like dyes.

Tl; dr Game assets and possible the engine are not designed to handle easily recolorable textures. Why is because someone somewhere didn't think things through.

Edited by Senscith