The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cathar and other species

NSStember

I have been thinking that BioWare should end up just adding it to the Makeb expansion instead myself... With my train of thought being it might get more people to buy the pack if it's part of that update, for those that may have not done so currently because of lack of details on the expansion, etc. That, plus I can see more people considering to roll a Cathar if they don't have to pay extra for it. :)

I have been anxiously awaiting the Cathar to be implemented, actually. I have 2 character types reserved for that species. I love cats and have wanted the Cathar to be playable since the start of the game!

And I hope other basic-speaking races will then be opened up as well. :)

I suspect that most people wanting to play alien species would be very happy to get to play the alien species even if they could not see them wearing helmets (or gloves or boots for some species), there were minor clipping issues or if there were minor story issues such as a strange reply to a member of your own species or a comment about your species.

While I would be happy to have static gear and have to buy new outfits from cartel market I suspect that most people would be upset if there were huge lore issues such as Voss off planet and then having standard dialog on Voss or major clipping issues like horns going through helmets or the like,

Hopefully we will see some more species and soon.

I'm pretty sure they said a long time ago that any player races would have to be able to speak basic. That rules out Trandoshans, Rodians and Wookiees.

2 out of the 3 species spoke Basic in Star Wars Galaxies and I don't remember a massive uproar of protests that they could speak Basic.

Now I am all for Canon but at a certain point it becomes a mute argument when in a game. Bioware have already decided that the Chis were discovered by the galaxy before the events in outbound flight. They have opted to have the Empire's symbol very closesly matching that of the Republic, not to mention a somewhat Imperial Star Destroyer looking vessel long before such would become comon place in the Republic.

They did all this because they knew getting too tied up by canon and design would mean many people who came to TOR from the Movies wouldn't understand how they could call it Star Wars, with nothing they could recognise as being in the game from the films. So they made a design choice that may not always make sence if taken as part of the EU or even the movies but makes sence in a game. And as such to add iconic species into the game is far more important to the overal feel and what it brings than getting overly hung up over if a Species can speak Basic or not. With wookie it might be too lore breaking to have them speaking with an English Accent but just cause Greedo couldn't speak Basic doesn't mean the species is incapbale of speak the language.

I'm pretty sure they said a long time ago that any player races would have to be able to speak basic. That rules out Trandoshans, Rodians and Wookiees.

Trandoshans are able to speak basic as shown in the recent Clone Wars series.

Rodians are able to speak basic also and fluently. Here are some examples I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BweotHZBYlg#t=296s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kEe8x9zK0&feature=player_detailpage#t=232s

Wookiees may not be able to speak basic but that doesn't mean they can't potentially become playable. Subsititute the player dialogue with Shyriiwook and have subtitles played. Very simple.

Edited by Vitas

I wonder if its possible for one of the devs to pop in and have a chat with the player base.

New species has been asked for since Beta so its clearly a hot topic. I was just in the Gree Event killing 100 or so animals for 15 chips and I noticed the scales on the Combat Speciem Sleens (lizards) looked very good. The scale effect looked like scales so it would seem to be a really good idea to use this for a player species. Far better than picking a cat race thats fur looks more like face paint.

people are so picky sometimes(not that im any better)

for me i wish for these 3 to become playable and then i will be satisfied hopefully although highly unlikely knowing my luck.

1. togruta (along with at least half of the fanbase)

2. quarren( there humanoid and speak basic)

3. voss( simply cause they sound fun)

If the issue is clipping and animations, that still leaves a lot of options for distinctly alien species that could be added, rather than another 'human with a paint job'.

Togruta, Chagrian, Kel-Dor, Quarren, Weequay, Nautolan, Rodian, Duros, probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

Beyond that, I would still like some truly alien species, I don't really consider voice acting a concern, given that particularly with legacy unlocks there are race/class combinations that sound weird now, and even certain character customizations can make a particular voice seem wildly out of place. Check out a body type 4 Twi'lek Imperial Agent.

I will continue to hope in my little heart of hearts to be able to play my Ithorian Jedi some day. :D

I actually think that alien species such as Trandoshan and Quarran should be easier to add customization to than humans and near humans. The issue with humans is that we all see them every day, we know what we think looks right and what does not. So the graphics team is very limmited with what they can allow us to change without making the face look just wrong. An alien has no such limitation so we could have a lot more variety with aliens, scales are a good example of something that just seems to look more releasitc than human skin on mobs.

Personally I dont think we will ever get away from the voice acting. Personaly I think having all our characters fully voice acted was a mistake given the cost and the limitation on species it has introduced but I think we will never get to play a non basic speaking species.

Lastly I am hoping that what every they are doing with Cathar is allowing new and more species to be added quicker and easier. Introducing tools to add more species easily rather than spending what seems like an insane amount of time making a near human species.

I wonder if its possible for one of the devs to pop in and have a chat with the player base.

New species has been asked for since Beta so its clearly a hot topic. I was just in the Gree Event killing 100 or so animals for 15 chips and I noticed the scales on the Combat Speciem Sleens (lizards) looked very good. The scale effect looked like scales so it would seem to be a really good idea to use this for a player species. Far better than picking a cat race thats fur looks more like face paint.

When I started up this thread in the Cartel Market Suggestions I was really hoping for some sort of Dev input. There was a time that the Cathar were a hot topic as coming "soon"....but since that time we've heard almost nothing for a very long time and it would be nice if the Devs could let us know if we're waiting for something real or a "hope for", and if it's still coming are we talking this upcoming Spring? The Summer? 2014? :rolleyes:

I doubt we will see any Dev input until Cathar are sold. Unfortunatly for reasons known only to BW they are sitting on the Cathar release I can only assume its for the release of Mekaab. Maybe they did go back and redo all the inappropriate dilaog with Cathar and so got the actors to do it while they did the Mekaab dialog, maybe they just want them out the same day as 2.0 to give it the feel that you also get a new species (you have to pay for) wuth the update. I doubt we will ever find out.