My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

LordSkyKnight

to the op. A good thread.

I play them all dps,tank and healing. and i love them all. but i have to point out that when i pug. it is not always the dps/healer fauld that a fp goes horrible wrong. Some people just can not tank. I was healing my *** off, bc the tank was **** geared. and i got loads of argo.

so when the tank was just dpsing one elite guess who got the argo of the rest. ME the healer. so what happend i had to heal myself and was typing for help. (i did my argowipes already) tank was just tanking elites. and he died bc of no heals. then he voted to kick me.lucky the dps told him that he was wrong so he just rage quit the group.

The one thing a tank must do is take argo of the healer. the worst geared a tank is, the more healing he needs or the stupid the dps is the more argo i get. Now what my point is that thare not many really good tanks. and that not everyone can do it. i respect the people who can and those guys are worth gold in theire guild!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And 2nd don't do pre-50 flashpoints, unless you are ready for pugs like you experienced. Not saying you wont still run into these types of players at 50, but they are few and far between.

That's quite a stupid argument. Pre-50 FP are far more forgiving than HM in terms of mechanics, gear and group composition, it is possible to run any of them with a correctly geared companion to replace any missing role and - that's including a tank or healer provided the person owning the companion knows what's going on. Virtually any group of 2 people + 2 companions can run anything without a sweat till the last ones, with maybe the exception of Colicoid War Games (due to the turret fight and the puzzle after) and Red Reaper (due to that first pack of mobs that will rape your healer) depending on the classes.

Actually while leveling I always have a far better experience than I do once lvl 50 when I run HM with people who still haven't figured out how to play their class and have no clue about what is going on during the fights.

Edited by demotivator

I am in the game since the beta and rolled a shadow for the pure awesomeness a double bladed lightsaber brings to the yard :D. This is and shall be my firs/last MMO so I got into this game without knowing anything. I leveled KOTOR style, then went into the Eselles at level 10 and died like a noob. After spending there 2 hours solo (yeah i did not read the red text that said it requires a group :p) I randomly asked, in general, why the hell I keep dying. Then I was told I need to be with some peeps. I levelled and was a pure infiltration shadow. Cleared tier one ops as a dps and never tanked.

BioWare decided to release Lost Island and my guild had, not tanks online when the servers came back, but they said, 'oh, we got irisa, his shadow can be a tank, lets go LI'. So i had over 700 columi coms, i went and bought a whole new set, field respec was not available back then, so my first tanking experience.. I wiped 4 hours at the sentinel droid, I wanted to ragequit the game, I got so angry. I had no clue what I was doing and to have LI HM as your first tanking experience really gives you a wake up call. My guildies, stood by me and said we stay there until we cleared it. We did clear LI HM and from that moment I never stopped doing anything else.

I am main tank , bis 63, (32k hp if i wanna) in my casual guild and cleared all the content (30% on kephess in nightmare as well, he dies this week :D) and tanking, for me, along side healing, is the most engaging activity in a raid. i have a 2k+ dps sentinel as well, and a 2.4k HPS healer and I still go back to my shadow tank. Being pro-active, anticipating when your 2k dps-ers will nuke down the boss and giving them the comfort of not losing aggro is very nice. I got people in my raid who are 63 bis and when they pop everything they hit with 2k power as well as over 2k mainstat. Even as a shadow sometimes they turn for 1-2s until you get back on top of the aggro table.

Tanking, sad to say this, is not for everyone. Some of us, to understand our raid composition better, rolled each class and played it to see when the **** can hit the fan. This really helps you as a tank because you can be pro-active and generate threat at all times while having the luxury of keeping your taunts when your damage dealers unleash hell.

When I join group finder and meet trigger happy dps, mainly sentinels, I make sure to establish a rule : 'I am not here to fight for aggro. I am here to run a smooth flashpoint, clear it fast and spend as little on repairs as i can'. I say this after they leap a few times pull the whole room and then they cry for heals. This often happens in Lost Island and I am free to leave if we do not play as a team.

You can't judge tanking from playing in random flashpoints. Random flashpoints are full of morons (sorry but it's true). Even if you get 3 good players, there's always a turd in the punch bowl ;)

ANYWAY, get to 50, get a steady raid team going and tanking is tonnes of fun.

Vanguard Tank main ...

When pugging I whisper the healer right off the bat, "keep me up, don't worry about anyone else, stay close

and nothing will touch you"

As long as they follow those instructions and use a nice evenly paced heal rotation I can keep agro and

stand there and get beat on all day :)

Gimmie one taunt, one aggro bomb, one stun and one interrupt & I'll tank Godzilla with a whiffle bat and a frisbee. :D

This has been the highlight of my day! ^-^

On topic: Thanks for recognizing how hard it can be for the tanks, cause once something goes wrong in a FP or OP the follow line is bound to show up in chat "OMG tank why did you let them kill us? you should have been taking aggro"

Appreciate the love, OP.

I haven't read every single comment, but I agree with people that it takes good quality of every role to make a good group.

Thing is, if you play a tank and pull a bad group? It screws them, because there is nothing worse other role types can do (especially DPS) than piss off a tank enough to put them on /ignore. Tanks are the limiting role in this game for getting Group Finder pops, and you're just shooting yourself in the foot to give you one less Tank in the game wanting to play with you.

As a tank, you will never, ever find a shortage of people to group with.

Makes me way more conscious about it playing my DPS and Healers. I wish everyone realized that and acted accordingly.

Edited by AlixMV

My only Flashpoint grouping with a tank in this game was when I was the tank.

The DPSer didn't adjust his play at all. Therefore it was my fault and ruined his gameplay that he took 2 hits. (Would've taken about a dozen to kill him.)

After that there's no incentive for me to use my tank in any group.

I can only guess treatment like that is why tanks and healers are few and far between in group finder.

It certainly is for my characters.