Just got 50, should I go Lethal or MM?

Letsjet

I just got 50 and got mu Columni armor. Thing is I'm butting mashing MM in how I feel to be effective.

What should my MM rotation be?

Is there a link to a spec that's optimal.

If I go lethality, what should my Lethality rotation be?

Is there a link to a spec that's optional?

I've been experimenting with different builds and I find the lethality/engineering hybrid to put out the most dps. However, in the midst of a raid, the complexity of the spec may cause energy issues. Both Marksman and Lethality are viable specs, with Lethality providing a significant damage increase. However, if you enjoy marksman more, stick with it. It will put out more than enough dps to be a viable spec.

Lethality/Engineering Hybrid: Revolves around using cull on CD. Must maintain poison dots, and perfection will exist when you are able to maintain both the poison effects, interrogation probe, and use of explosive probe on CD. This spec is very energy intensive and only recommended with high-end gear where you have more crits. Other fillers are Orbital, Series of Shots, Takedown Ambush, snipe with laze target, and rifle shot. You will be using rifle shot a considerable amount of times to maintain energy

Lethality: Like the Hybrid, revolves around using cull on CD and maintaining the poison dots. However, you should use the skill weakening blast before every cull for energy regen and higher cull damage. Other fillers are Orbital, Series of Shots, Takedown. Explosive Probe, Ambush, Snipe with laze target, and rifle shot. You will use rifle shot much less, because energy isn't as intensive.

Marksman: Revolves around proc ambushes from snipe and series of shots. Use followthrough after snipe, ambush, or takedown. This is the most simple spec and is recommended for fresh 50's.

The above post is pretty much spot on. The only thing I would have said differently is that although a lot of people will emphasize a Leth/Eng hybrid as being the highest current DPS for most fights, it's really very close to full Lethality. Some people have posted various DPS simulations showing Lethality actually having a higher potential, although that's very situational. For most fights if you can simply be put in a role of pure DPS and not have to worry about extra mechanics and target switching, most people will do more with Leth/Eng, but if you want to have similar DPS output and have a bit extra breathing room for target swapping, learning fights, etc than I'd recommend full Leth to begin with. Either way, the rotation and gearing is relatively similar so it's easy to swap between the two.

MM is usually the easiest to start out with if you're just learning fights and DPS isn't an issue, and it's also the least gear dependent. It's arguably the "best" spec for certain fights with a lot of stop-and-go target swapping, but takes quite a bit more effort to be as effective as Lethality.

As far as specifics:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-953.html

Is still the best pure MM spec guide out there for PvE. Pretty much anything you'd want to know is there somewhere, and a lot of it carries over to the class in general and can be applied to other specs or even classes.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=584434

Is a very excellent guide for Lethality and Lethality/Engineering by a Sniper who definitely knows what he's talking about. I think the majority of the focus in that topic is on the hybrid spec, but all the information pertaining to Lethality spec/rotation is correct as well.

Edited by Synavix

Ive never ran MM or Eng but i am full Lethality and if youve played another dot class you should be fine. If you still have the BM pvp gear then use the 2-set bonus of PvP and PvE to get a longer Orbital Strike and energy regen from Target Acquired. My basic rotation in operations is: CorrosiveDart-CGrenade-WB-Cull-TargetAcquired-Series of Shots-Ambush-Cull....in the middle of this is my energy is dropping a bit for a sec ill use my rifle shot but ive never found myself needing to use my energy probe. Also i sometimes start my rotation with Orbital Strike or use it at the end because either way it helps my dps. Rifleshot is essential to use in btwn your rotation because it wont lower your dps but allow for a slight enegery regen so you dont go from 0 to 60 at once. Outside of this in full Lethality both corrosives dots leave a smaller poison that last just a bit longer so you dont have to keep dropping dots as much as you have to like in Madness spec. Thats why IMO this is the best dot spec in the game.

Now i have played with and against MM snipers and they are very good as well. From what ive seem its the basic difference btwn you wanting Burst or Dot

Go with the spec with offers the most dps for the minimum effort possible - and thats lethality. In all honesty none of the specs have a complicated rotation, but don't forget that in end-game encounters you're going to going to be moving around a lot or have your rotation in general disturbed by something like a boss mechanic or running to the aid of the healer.

Which is also why lethality is golden - its the most mobile of the specs where your first 4-5 abilities don't even require you to be in cover.

Edited by ZakMorgan

Marksman: Revolves around proc ambushes from snipe and series of shots. Use followthrough after snipe, ambush, or takedown. This is the most simple spec and is recommended for fresh 50's.

I'd disagree on this point. While marks can be relatively simple to play decently, it's harder to perfect than lethality by a considerable margin. Lethality is essentially a fixed rotation, corrosive dart, grenade, weakening blast, cull, series of shots, ambush, cull, rinse repeat. Replace the ambush with your orbital strike when it's off cooldown. Add in the occasional rifle shot as energy dictates and hey presto, you're playing at close to as well as you possibly can.

Marksman OTH, has a lot more nuance in the rotation. The choice of fillers is a lot more complex, timing on best use for sniper volley and making sure energy is maintained is a lot more demanding. The only thing that should draw in a newer sniper to MM is that it's not at all gear dependent for it's energy regeneration like lethality can be.

Learn to master different builds. Real guilds will expect you to adapt to situations. Some builds are better on different maps in pvp as well.

The first mistake to playing any class is thinking you will only use one build. That is the mindset of a bad player.

Learn to master different builds. Real guilds will expect you to adapt to situations. Some builds are better on different maps in pvp as well.

The first mistake to playing any class is thinking you will only use one build. That is the mindset of a bad player.

While this is true i think its more accurate to associate this with classes that can change roles. With that being said I is smart to try all the specs of a Sniper and get a feel and then choose which you like best or what you think will benefit most for guild and yourself. I lvld with Lethality and havent switched but i have checked MM tree and it does seem fairly simple to play, at least on sight.

Hi!

• It's probably been many days since you hit 50 but nonetheless here is my take on a simple MM rotation! There are other rotations but I use this as personal preference only (and it is quite easy for me to remember and maintain).

1. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

2. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

3. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

• Doing it this way sometimes you will find that Ambush isn't ready when you finish SoS, so I replace that with Snipe and use Ambush down the line:

1. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots....

3. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots.... (Ambush isn't ready yet)

4. Snipe - FT - Ambush - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

*** It will put the main rotation into disarray so I won't suggest it till you are more comfortable with Marks and can pull it off (keeping FT on cooldown by using Snipe and Take Down and Ambush when they are available). You can use a Rifle Shot after SoS while waiting for Ambush. It is a DPS loss but it will help in familiarizing yourself with the Marks tree.

For starters you can do this instead:

3. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots - (Ambush isn't ready yet) - Rifle Shot

4. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots....

If you need energy replace the second Snipe with a Rifle Shot:

2. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots....

3. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots.... (not enough energy)

4. Ambush - FT - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

• If you want to use Orbital Strike, use it with Sniper Volley (both are on a 1 min cooldown). One simple way of incorporating it into your rotation is:

1. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

3. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots - Sniper Volley - Series of Shots - Orbital Strike...

4. Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

• It is personal preference why I start with Ambush. I like how it fits into my opener rotation which is Orbital Strike:

(Rough Draft):

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots... (need energy?)

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots... (Ambush not ready?)

Orbital Strike - Ambush - FT - Snipe - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots - Rifle Shot

Orbital Strike - Snipe - FT - Ambush - Snipe - (Rifle Shot) - FT - Series of Shots...***

Any feedback is appreciated!

Edited by paowee