The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank spec leveling ......

Kickinurass

I have a level 15ish PT spec'd as a tank right now. Just curious what others have thought when leveling in this spec, the pyrotech looks cool too. id like something that still leaves me mobile when needed if i can stand there and take damage all day with mako as my healer. Any input is always appreciated. Thanx

I've been leveling a Powertech Shieldtech (tank tree) and it's been a cakewalk, really, and I don't consider myself a great/terribly experienced player at all (hell, this will be my first level capped char ever, I'm level 46 now). With Mako as a healer and with good use of commendations to keep you decently geared you are basically unstoppable during your leveling. Very fun though.

Resource (Heat) management can be a bit annoying when the Vent Heat ability is on cooldown, especially at the beginning, but it gets better eventually thanks to the Shield Vents talent and the ability at the top of the tank tree, Heat Blast. Just remember to use your basic ability (rapid shots) regularly so that your heat bar stays at low levels.

As for mobility, most of your abilities can be used while running (you only have like 3 casted abilities, common to both PT and mercs) and you will get the awesome Jet Charge -gap closer- around level 30 (shieldtech only ability). You also have another gap closer, Grapple, although it's not really you who moves when using it. :)

Hope I could help.

Edited by Khyle

Vanguard / Powertech are very mobile in almost any setup, since everything you have that mattters is instant; it's the exact opposite of Commando / Merc in that way.

Like leveling in a heal spec, this works really nice when you level on mostly group content, and can feel a bit sluggish up to around 40 while leveling on solo PvE. The problem is you really don't take that much damage in solo PvE until around 40, which is the point where NPCs do enough damage and come in big enough packs that things start to get annoying if you can't heal. I usually stick with a straight DPS spec to 40, then swap to heal or tank when I can pick up the 31-point talent, and when you're at that point where solo DPS with no healing starts to become a hassle.

The nicest thing about tank spec is that you can get flashpoints instantly any time you feel like queueing, which makes it viable to level on nothing but those, and occasional breaks to do class quests. When you just can't stand running the same 14 planets all over again, it's a nice alternative. It's also a good way to make sure you actually know your toolset by the time you hit 50.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Shield tech works great for tanking. Pyro is also good for leveling, but the aoe across all specs is not really all that different (other than obviously being better in tank gear versus DPS gear), and since ape is important while leveling, tank powertech is quite good for leveling.

I have a level 15ish PT spec'd as a tank right now. Just curious what others have thought when leveling in this spec, the pyrotech looks cool too. id like something that still leaves me mobile when needed if i can stand there and take damage all day with mako as my healer. Any input is always appreciated. Thanx

It will take more time to level up as a shield tech, but you should be fine. In one quest, you will have to use your tank companion, so that may prove more difficult, but if you love tanking and want hours of practice before you reach lvl 50, go with shield tech.

my very first char was pt and i lvled as tank until 35 or so as i remember i was at quesh and was so bored speced to pyro and then my lvling became more fun for me. maybe that was because i was lvling solo. eventho it is possible to lvl effectively as tank i think as pyro wud be funnier. and if u think to play as tank at 50 just spec back to tank at 45-46 and get used to the spec.