In your opinion, what is the accurate representation of the Force?

Sith_Kingpin

What's the true potential of Force users according the SW lore? I ask this because, in the movies and cartoons, the Force is mostly used in basic ways I.E. Force Jump, Force Push, Force Lightning and Mind Tricks seem to be as far as Force sensitives go.

However, in SW novels, comics and video games, the Force is akin to magic and users can conjure some magnificent powers. Palpatine in the novels can summon a wormhole, and we all know what the Sith Emperor Darth Vitiate can do, so what's the benchmark for an accurate portrayal of the Force?

In the new movies, will they keep it simple, or will they test CGI special effects and make the Force like it is in games? People always argue games like the Force Unleashed and KOTOR use the Force for game mechanics, and nobody can manipulate the Force like those characters. So, what's your take on this? As always, all replies are welcome and I'd like to hear your opinions.

The Force seems to be limited by just 2 things...

1. The user themself

2. Lack of imagination

In short The Force can do anything, its only limited by the user. The benchmark thus far, has been set by Luke/Sidious however, but that doesn't mean it all ends there. New powers/variants of powers, can be discovered/thought of all it takes is the right mind for it. As for the new movies? They might keep it simple for the most part, and sprinkle in some huge things to go along with it.

Am not saying that every jedi can do whatever, but it takes time and training to get to the point where said user can do some amazing things.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well when you can manipulate an energy field that binds all living things, you're kinda using the fabric of the universe. So it makes sense that there would be some extreme powers.

Of course, most of the Jedi we see happen to be the stronger ones, so the way Force powers are represented for them would be very different than for the average Knight.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

I definitally prefer it kept to a minimum standard.

I like the basis of the philosophy coming from a buddism and Taoism with the force being like Chi.

I prefer that things like moving a ship out of a swamp can be done but with some effort, even vader had to concentrate to fling objects in mass at luke.

As described by Yoda, the force is all around us, in the trees, in the rocks, as well as within beings. Young Anakin was identified as having a very high "metaclorin" ( sp ) count. Yoda spoke of being "one with the force" and saying "the force is my ally." So I believe the limitations on force powers are "potential" and "skill." Vader & Yoda were the strongest force users in the movies and they were not exhibiting God-like super powers... I would not want to see the force having power beyond what they showed.

Accurate representation of the force first need to be identified. In the Form of the philosophy in that the force is the life force and the source of the universes power. Or the use of the Force in the the metaclorin count. If in the former than the force is just that, the binding energy through the universe. As to the individual use of the force it is limited to their prowess, concentration, and mind. More or less in the balance of the traditional Taoist philosophy. The more open and understanding the mind to the use of the force the greater the user. However if we are going based on the metaclorin count nonsense then the potential of any given force user is preset to that individual and seems to imply a certain amount of potential per person oppose to the former where every individual with the right mindset can reach maximum potential. But lets face the facts in that use of the Force is much like any talent in the real world. Some are prodigious, others need to work hard to attain the skill. Some can reach mastery, while others fall shortly after they begin. But the representation of the force is in my honest opinion like Bruce Lee's talk of water. In Bruce Lee's terms water is a boundless form much like the force. It is just energy constantly moving and changing.

“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

― Bruce Lee