Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

That's a good point. I've seen the serious hard core players go after casual players and free-to-players with a lot of shaming when they ask for help.

And we don't really know who the trolls are. I doubt they're all free to players, though, because I think free to play has some limit on some response time in the general chat, and the trolls can keep it rolling for a while.

Well if you run into them in game, you could try trading with them to see.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else wonder how gender change is going to be affected?

Like, say you are far into the Romance Arc on a male... then you gender change to a female.... will it break your romance as it switches all dialogue over to female versions as you continue your companion conversations or keep going because you STARTED as male? Then if it does break, if you for some reason gender changed BACK would it reinstate the romance?

I know nobody probably has an answer, and It'd be an expensive and time consuming test.... but still, kinda thought it was interesting to think about... especially since I hope Bioware thought of it, or else... say hello to broken characters if you gender change in the middle of a romance arc.

Like, say you are far into the Romance Arc on a male... then you gender change to a female.... will it break your romance as it switches all dialogue over to female versions as you continue your companion conversations or keep going because you STARTED as male? Then if it does break, if you for some reason gender changed BACK would it reinstate the romance?

I know nobody probably has an answer, and It'd be an expensive and time consuming test.... but still, kinda thought it was interesting to think about... especially since I hope Bioware thought of it, or else... say hello to broken characters if you gender change in the middle of a romance arc.

That is a REALLY good question. And I have no idea about the answer. I suspect you'll just lose relationship progression. Which sucks more than a little but I can't see how they'd do it otherwise. If they brought in herosexuality, of course, it'd solve that issue but that's not going to happen, I'd say.

Could be a way for people to get their SGRs!

Depends on where the gender check happens. If it only happens during the first romance convo and a romance flag is permanently set afterwards, then gender-changing after that fact shouldn't affect it (your now female character will possibly sound like a guy though). This is kind of how 'gender swapping' in Mass Effect 2 worked or in an older game like Baldur's Gate 2.

The other possibility is that a gender check happens with every [Flirt] prompt. I think Neverwinter Nights 2 worked like this, so it was a bit of a pain to mod in a same-sex romance. In this case, there would be no way to 'trick' the system to get a companion SGRA.

I do have extensive experience with such things :p

Edited by stuffystuffs

I will have to read the entire thread soon, but this is the kind of topic a person wants to state an opinion on right away. The way I see it (would hope to see it) , romance ties in well with light/dark side role playing and story lines. There are countless possibilities here if it can be looked at with an open mind. As a 'devoted' sith player, none of my characters would have any difficulty entering into any kind of romantic relationship if it served the self-interest of that character. I can even envision a plot where a force-sensitive character of any class would incorporate the 'coming out' of a companion that character is trying to also guide away from the side of the force to which the character is diametrically opposed. For ds'ers that would be increasing power by embracing passion...I need not recite the sith code, but you see where that is going. Likewise for ls'ers it would be finding peace by accepting elements of ones identity whos suppression mechanic creates negative energy within that companion. The game does not have to revolve around sexual orientation, but that plot branch should not be outright rejected- it just offers too much good plot to simply discard. Not to be fair or equal or anything other than, "hey this is good fiction, lets do it".

On a somewhat related note to Xeperi, is it bad of me to wish that LS Jaesa is made a female-only romance in the future? As if to say she's inherently a lesbian, but the Warrior's process of breaking her and turning her to the Dark Side so utterly corrupts and confuses her mind and personality that she likes men (:p) and latches onto the male Warrior obsessively.

Or maybe I just want LS Jaesa to be a lesbian to get away from the idea that sexuality (or, rather for this game, homosexuality) is something inherently Dark Side.

Or maybe I just want LS Jaesa to be a lesbian to get away from the idea that sexuality (or, rather for this game, homosexuality) is something inherently Dark Side.

Nah, when I think about it, even though the only gay man in the universe is with the Empire, he feels pretty light-sided to me, actually. He's a sith, sure, but he's very polite and sweet and even ready to

sacrifice his life so the Empire could benefit.

I'm not surprised there are so many people saying that they want Cytharat as a companion but I haven't heard about anyone who would like to get Lemda as a companion. It feels actually like Cytharat was made to be as easy to like as possible, so maybe people who don't like homosexuals could overcome his sexuality and think "okay, he's gay, but he's also patriotic, intelligent, obedient and in every way a good servant of the Empire". And that sounds like a good thing to me. Maybe (this is very wishful thinking) it could even help them to realize that it's not such a big deal after all who you happen to "like like" and start behaving a little differently.

Lord Cytharat is more than likely a Light or Neutral sided Sith - not something that usually happens in the Empire - but Sith are still seen as the "evil bad guys" and the Empire is still the "big bad evil thing".

Lord Cytharat is more than likely a Light or Neutral sided Sith - not something that usually happens in the Empire - but Sith are still seen as the "evil bad guys" and the Empire is still the "big bad evil thing".

That's the stereotype, sure, but tbh, which one would have you preferred - a more or less dark-sided gay character in republic side or a more or less light-sided character in the Empire's side? Have to say that my vote goes for Cytharat.

Anyway, I still vote for lesbian females (the fact that all those females are bi, not a single one only interested in women, is annoying) and full gay people for both factions. Not just for the reason that bioware would think that "gay people are evil" and adding stuff to both sides would prove this wrong.

I want bisexual and homosexual NPCs and companions for the reason that bisexual and homosexual (shock, horror) exist and play this game.

First impressions on the "the only gay guy in the game is in the Empire" are not good, but I'm glad they made him an interesting character, rather than just a cardboard box that dispenses kisses.

Knowing this particular branch of Bioware, though, you can expect all female NPCs and companions to be bisexual (when not straight) in the future. They couldn't make a single female companion who isn't a romance option and male characters get significantly more [Flirt] and romance options in game, so frankly, I'm expecting the following:

Male 75:25 Straight:Gay

Female 50:50 Straight:Gay (where all the female NPCs and companions are bisexual and fall under the Male 75 Straight)

On a somewhat related note to Xeperi, is it bad of me to wish that LS Jaesa is made a female-only romance in the future? As if to say she's inherently a lesbian, but the Warrior's process of breaking her and turning her to the Dark Side so utterly corrupts and confuses her mind and personality that she likes men (:p) and latches onto the male Warrior obsessively.

I'm totally going to link back to this post in a couple of weeks.

:D

I suggested it before. Thought it was perfect idea.

I'm sorry; I'm very late to this discussion and kept getting directed to threads which had been closed due to post count. I did not even remotely have the time to peruse the gargantuan number of posts on this topic. Can someone please give me a quick update on the status of this feature?

I haven't seen it in-game so I'm assuming that "by the end of 2012" didn't happen. What's the status?

Thanks.

I'm sorry; I'm very late to this discussion and kept getting directed to threads which had been closed due to post count. I did not even remotely have the time to peruse the gargantuan number of posts on this topic. Can someone please give me a quick update on the status of this feature?

I haven't seen it in-game so I'm assuming that "by the end of 2012" didn't happen. What's the status?

Thanks.

Depends. SGR with companions? No. SGR with NPCS? Yes, but level 50+.

Depends. SGR with companions? No. SGR with NPCS? Yes, but level 50+.

So the issue is essentially dead then; it's never going to happen? I mean, if they didn't put it in with new content it's hard for me to imagine them going back and inserting it in to 50 levels of old content covering numerous characters, companions, and story arcs. Is there something I've missed?

So the issue is essentially dead then; it's never going to happen? I mean, if they didn't put it in with new content it's hard for me to imagine them going back and inserting it in to 50 levels of old content covering numerous characters, companions, and story arcs. Is there something I've missed?

I think the idea of (and it's just personal opinion) SGR with your current companions or SGR flirts with past NPCs is not going to happen.

SGR with a future companion that is sold on the market either as SGR or Herosexual, very possible. There's a demand for SGR companion and they could very likely see other players purchasing a new companion, because it's new!

I really don't see them going back and changing the existing group of companion dialogs.

It's possible that if they expand upon current companion stories with new dialogs, they might also add in a SGRA path for some companions (this would be post 50/55 content for most). I doubt even this will happen though.

We'll probably get more 'mini' romances with NPCs like Lembda and Lord Cytherat. They may also add in new companions that are shared between classes (possibly faction limited though) and these new companions may have a romance arc and may even have an SGRA one.

They said that if/when there're going to be new companions, it will be HK-style (same for all classes etc). Most people assume that if there ever is SGR with a companion, it will be with new HK-style added companions in future.

Edited by Pietrastor

They said that if/when there're going to be new companions, it will be HK-style (same for all classes etc). Most people assume that if there ever is SGR with a companion, it will be with new HK-style added companions in future.

And then of course we'll be in the Pay2Gay scenario, which will only drive more people away from the game. Not that Makeb isn't, of course, but providing companions only through the Cartel Market solidifies that.

And then of course we'll be in the Pay2Gay scenario, which will only drive more people away from the game. Not that Makeb isn't, of course, but providing companions only through the Cartel Market solidifies that.

Nah, at least HK didn't work that way. Something actually similiar to HK (do quest series x and get a free companion) would be great imo.

Though, I'm a little worried about just adding 1 gay companion that "fits all" - what if I happen to think that guy/gal is a complete idiot?