The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with either of those. As far as 'things to say to refuse someone's advances', they're both really pretty tame, in my experience.

Yeah, I'm aware that most of my problem with the dialogue is down to my own individual perception of it. Basically, I just wish there was a romance filter that you could toggle on/off, the way there is with dark/light side options, so that those of us who want to know in advance which conversational choices "further the romance" can toggle it on, and those who want a bit more spontaneity and a more natural and surprising conversational flow can toggle it off.

I never realised that Theran was so pushy : o

Of course, my Consular is DS, and had zero problems flat-out telling him where he can stick it... She'd rather get with Holiday than that obnoxious creep ; )

Edited by masterceil

Having just played through SoR again, I had to think...if people in this thread keep thinking Corso is creepy because flirt options are always up, they must think Tharan is a creep as well with his flirt options popping up, even after choosing Lana.

Which btw, Rep side, Tharan is the better romance storyline, if you're like me and not dead set on SGR or OGR and just "Let's see how this story plays out"

Having just played through SoR again, I had to think...if people in this thread keep thinking Corso is creepy because flirt options are always up, they must think Tharan is a creep as well with his flirt options popping up, even after choosing Lana.

Which btw, Rep side, Tharan is the better romance storyline, if you're like me and not dead set on SGR or OGR and just "Let's see how this story plays out"

My Knight only flirted with Lana, and Theron Shan mostly left her alone after I ignored the first one or two [Flirt] options with him. My consular flirts with both, but she's still finishing up Rishi iirc. I've been working on my Agent too much lately... Once I get her off Taris, I'll be returning to my Consular to see how romancing both Theron and Lana plays out ; )

BTW, BioWare sucks for giving us Theran and Theron to contend with. So many typos, it's sometimes hard to follow who you lot are talking about sometimes. In my above post, I was on about the creepy pacifist with the holo-girlfriend. In this post, I've been on about Revan's descendant : )

Edited by masterceil

My Knight only flirted with Lana, and Theron Shan mostly left her alone after I ignored the first one or two [Flirt] options with him. My consular flirts with both, but she's still finishing up Rishi iirc. I've been working on my Agent too much lately... Once I get her off Taris, I'll be returning to my Consular to see how romancing both Theron and Lana plays out ; )

BTW, BioWare sucks for giving us Thera and Theron to contend with. So many typos, it's sometimes hard to follow who you lot are talking about sometimes. In my above post, I was on about the creepy pacifist with the holo-girlfriend. In this post, I've been on about Revan's descendant : )

Tharan is not creepy :o

Yeah, I'm aware that most of my problem with the dialogue is down to my own individual perception of it. Basically, I just wish there was a romance filter that you could toggle on/off, the way there is with dark/light side options, so that those of us who want to know in advance which conversational choices "further the romance" can toggle it on, and those who want a bit more spontaneity and a more natural and surprising conversational flow can toggle it off.

The argument against that would be "but flirts are already clearly marked!"

Except that they're not.

So basically what they need to do is go back and mark all the flirts that didn't get marked.

I ended up having that confusing conversation with Theran too one at least one of my JCs. In the end I just ignored it and headcanon that it never happened. (My other JCs haven't had enough with him affection to get to that point.)

As for conversations and getting lines you weren't expecting out of your character's mouth (or just not liking the outcome)... If you're quick enough to do it before the conversation ends, the escape key works wonders. Sometimes I spend aaaaages going through a conversation, stopping it when I feel the conversation is not going in the direction I want it to (or my character isn't saying what I thought they'd say).

Once I get her off Taris, I'll be returning to my Consular to see how romancing both Theron and Lana plays out ; )

Bad news on that count. Turns out...

Theran is a lot less forgiving of Dark Side actions than Lana is of Light Side. On my Pure Knight, the relationship with Lana stayed solid throughout - even when I didn't let her experiment on the Sixth Line commander. Theran, on the other hand, really didn't take the death of Kovach very well at all, and seemed quite upset, to say the least, when I let Lana take the Emperor's puppet in for her studies...

So yeah, my Consular won't be romancing both of them : (

Theran is a lot less forgiving of Dark Side actions than Lana is of Light Side. On my Pure Knight, the relationship with Lana stayed solid throughout - even when I didn't let her experiment on the Sixth Line commander. Theran, on the other hand, really didn't take the death of Kovach very well at all, and seemed quite upset, to say the least, when I let Lana take the Emperor's puppet in for her studies...

When my Inquisitor let Theron's friend go back to the Temple, Lana forgave her.

I have yet to have a character darkside enough to ruin what felt like a good truce between the three of them. My Inquisitor did however kill the one spy in Sith Intelligence.

Loving SoR because it feels like you can play some games with your choices :)

Note that it's less DS vs LS for either, so much as it is "The option I want to do" vs "Not doing that."

Theron got rather pissy with my Knight on Lehon when I didn't fry the Rakata tech Cyborgs, and to agree with him is the DS option.

Note that it's less DS vs LS for either, so much as it is "The option I want to do" vs "Not doing that."

Theron got rather pissy with my Knight on Lehon when I didn't fry the Rakata tech Cyborgs, and to agree with him is the DS option.

He doesn't like it when you don't splice the relays on Yavin either.

As for conversations and getting lines you weren't expecting out of your character's mouth (or just not liking the outcome)... If you're quick enough to do it before the conversation ends, the escape key works wonders. Sometimes I spend aaaaages going through a conversation, stopping it when I feel the conversation is not going in the direction I want it to (or my character isn't saying what I thought they'd say).

Yeah I was really not quick enough on the escape key. Basically I just sat there going 'wait, WHAT?!' for a while.

Still get a flirt option with him afterwards even when you've chosen Lana after Ziost.

Not that the comment you quoted made sense for what you said, but....

That's very interesting. On my Consular, who fell in love with Lana, [flirt] options with Theron didn't show up on Ziost. And on Ziost, my Knight had no [flirt] options with Lana appeared after pursuing Theron.

Not that the comment you quoted made sense for what you said, but....

That's very interesting. On my Consular, who fell in love with Lana, [flirt] options with Theron didn't show up on Ziost. And on Ziost, my Knight had no [flirt] options with Lana appeared after pursuing Theron.

I didn't get any Flirt options with Theron until after Ziost was over and you wind up back on Fleet.

I am just going to throw my opinion on here mostly in regards to the female jedi and sith love interests that take place during the game (though I have also played a male inquisitor, and actually like his way of doing things more with the voice acting being in my view more fitting in a great number of ways)

It always seems to me playing a jedi being a female myself I would honestly throw some of these men off of my ship.. and in character I cannot help but think ~Where is the option during one of my female sages very first conversations with Theran to tell him "I am a JEDI, I am not interested in this.. so while I do need you here please stop because you just made me incredibly uncomfortable." when he more or less seems like he is pushing you to go someplace for sex, the only option you have is to say "I won't risk hurting Holiday like that" which just strikes me as strange.

Playing my Jedi as what they are, that being a Jedi who will not form relationships like that especially with someone she has just met literally the only person on the ship that I can imagine myself with is oddly enough Nadia, who cannot be romanced. And the reason for this is exactly because of that fact, she cannot be romanced, you and she form a profound bond where you help her overcome her grief, become more confident in herself, and generally grow as a person over the course of your conversations together, also she very obviously seems to still dearly love you by the end of the chain even if you are a female, the entire fact that you force bond with her and the way she states that "it might be fun.. feeling that again." when you reach 10,000 affection is a lovely moment.

/that/ would be where my sage would stop and think.. "I believe.. I am falling in love with this girl.." because its meaningful.. and does not contain what in my mind is kind of a creepy replacement goldfish(you replace her father of all people) turned creepy teacher/lover vibe that seems present in the male romance with Nadia all the way through from beginning to end..

With the Jedi Knight I sort of have the same issue, my female Jedi isn't going to get in to a relationship with someone, not unless she was planning to leave the order sometime after all the chaos was dealt with which honestly I can entirely see that as being a plan for the future after everything she has been through. Trouble is that again the only one she is particularly close to in spite of caring deeply about all of the people on board her ship is Kira, and Kira is not someone you can have a romance with, and even if she was I cannot say if I would pursue it very strongly because as Jedi its wrong, in both of these cases if they were to add the option to romance Nadia and Kira in the new expansion then that would be entirely different, at this point both of my Jedi characters have been with them so long and have been through so much with them that it would be much easier to imagine getting involved than it is during the original main storyline.

With Ashara, and with Vette, the relationships with male Inquisitors and Male Warriors respectively can be made very sweet, you see the men acting in a much more gentle less snarky/harsh way with them than they do with literally everyone else and both girls are incredibly sweet really.. the same cannot be said for female romance options.. do not get my wrong I like the characters, especially my pirate buddy who even my male Inquisitor values as one of the few people he can trust. But with Quinn.. he is terrified of you, it feels like the only reason he goes along with things for quite awhile is because he doesn't want to /die/ if he refuses your advances.

Where as with Vette her only question in the male relationship path is why you would choose her when you can have anything you want, I would kill to have my female warrior say "You are beautiful, clever, sometimes crazy, and always exciting. Who /wouldn't/ want you." and have her go in to flustered silence over that statement before deciding that maybe she and the warrior could see where things go.

Ashara I am not as sure of, I can say that maybe it would be nice to have the option open for a romance with her as a female but I would have to think about what that might be like, and that is oddly more difficult than imagining my warrior and Vette together.

As for other possible romances I have heard a great deal about Risha and I look forward to playing the smuggler storyline to see how relationships between various characters play out very soon.

With Mako.. I can imagine her and my female bounty hunter being involved just as easily as I had my male romance her, the two have chemistry regardless of gender, it sort of irks me that they changed the "Mako is the only person in the galaxy that matters to me." line you have the option of saying during one of your quests to "I feel like I've known her forever." that seems like something that really didn't need to be done honestly.. who else does my bounty hunter have exactly? for all I know (and actually canon for my male) my bounty hunters family is all dead and they have been social outcasts for quite a long time before arriving on Hutta, it isn't hard to imagine Mako being either genders only real friend.

If there are new companions coming who have same gender romance options that is great, I am just not so sure how it will work out for the jedi characters I play, honestly they may wind up forever alone except in my off screen head-canon I have between Nadia and my sage which takes place after /all/ of her companion quests when she has had time to grieve and stop clinging to my sage for no other reason than because she is all Nadia has left in the galaxy in a lot of ways.

My sith and imperial characters in general would have an easier time, but even then it is still a matter of them being close to the person, because how am I supposed to trust that someone I just met isn't going to turn around and stab me in the back (literally as a sith, or even as a bounty hunter or agent considering their lifestyle!) because to me that matters a great deal, especially with my somewhat emotionally damaged inquisitor after having spent her entire life a slave, it takes /a lot/ for my inquisitors to trust anyone enough to open their heart regardless of if they are male or female because that sort of vulnerability is dangerous in their eyes.

All of that being said BW if you are going to add new romance options please make them meaningful and have it take time to build on the relationship, you are good at that, it means more! I don't want a "wanna jump in bed person I just met?" option coming up on my jedi characters..

*snip*

Well said, and I agree on most counts. I would love it if the expansion added same-sex romances to Nadia and Risha and Elara and the like *after* their current companion story arcs. Gives the relationship and chemistry time to build and develop without immediately jumping into overt flirtation and trying to cram the serious arc of a relationship into the already limited number of conversations.

So, playing through Shadow of Revan for the first time. I'm really enjoying the Lana flirts, but I'm really glad they are updating her model for Fallen Empire. That said, I really hope we get more options in KotFE. I don't want all my toons to do the same romance option.