The reason you -want- queues

Herdsnerfs

If your server does not have queues on launch day, and hopefully for a week after, you are probably on a doomed served. You have a much higher % of a servers population playing on launch day, and for the first few weeks of a new MMO. If you did NOT have queues, when things calmed down on your server, I think you'd find your population is quite low, and you will have trouble finding people to do anything. Queues mean you have a healthy population. Not too high. Just right. Because it will calm down, the queues will go away, and you'll be happy you can still find groups.

If your server does not have queues on launch day, and hopefully for a week after, you are probably on a doomed served. You have a much higher % of a servers population playing on launch day, and for the first few weeks of a new MMO. If you did NOT have queues, when things calmed down on your server, I think you'd find your population is quite low, and you will have trouble finding people to do anything. Queues mean you have a healthy population. Not too high. Just right. Because it will calm down, the queues will go away, and you'll be happy you can still find groups.

How about having the same amount of people and more server power, so same population, and no queue.

I know its novel, but then I'm just crazy.

How about having the same amount of people and more server power, so same population, and no queue.

100% agree. By seeing the amount of people in each area, the servers must run on a low capacity. Most likely it's to encourage people to roll on lower population servers. when the realms are more balanced, they increase the cap to remove queue times.

I hope...

100% agree. By seeing the amount of people in each area, the servers must run on a low capacity. Most likely it's to encourage people to roll on lower population servers. when the realms are more balanced, they increase the cap to remove queue times.

I hope...

This is a great point. You can not allow as many people on the servers when 90% of the players are jammed up in the four newbie areas and the two level 10-16 planets. Once the population begins to spread out you can increase the server loads.

Bioware is getting a ton of shinola but I think they are doing a nice job of balancing the long-term and short-term health of the game.

Easy to sit here and make things up. But the best servers in the world have limitations.

More bandwidth per server, period, this is correct, it can be done, heck, if Ultima Online can have friggin 12,000+ people on 1 server, that's right 1 server, to be fair that server was probably broken up into 6 servers, 2,000 players per actual server on a shard, UO was 2d, which made it possible, please Bioware, give the option, give the bandwidth, give the possibility for 1,000 players to have access to 1 area, 1 server, 1 space, 1,000 players, think of how awesome it would be, too much? ok well consider 500 people per 1 map area, instead of like 150 or whatever it is right now. Thanks.

I'd bet they're keeping the servers artificially capped right now, so people will spread out a bit more.

There's still a lot of servers with light loads. I know that doesn't help people with lvl 20+ characters, but for new people just getting the game today there's no reason for them not to pick a different server.

The problem is, they should of locked the older servers when they hit full to force people to start on the newer ones.

Bioware is getting a ton of shinola but I think they are doing a nice job of balancing the long-term and short-term health of the game.

Yup, BW has the long-term condition of the game in mind, and obviously 90% of the people on this forum are all about me and now.

They just need to lock full servers so that the players DO expand to other servers. Right now people creating accounts are making them on already populated servers, instead of going onto a light server. Why? Because they don't want to end up on a dead server. So if EA/BW would lock servers at a certain number of people above the cap, then other servers would fill up. Then they could unlock them if the population began to drop.

I'd bet they're keeping the servers artificially capped right now, so people will spread out a bit more.

There's still a lot of servers with light loads. I know that doesn't help people with lvl 20+ characters, but for new people just getting the game today there's no reason for them not to pick a different server.

The problem is, they should of locked the older servers when they hit full to force people to start on the newer ones.

Locking the early access servers would have been an awesome move. I guess, though, that that severely inhibits peoples opportunity to join up with their friends on those servers - but surely some mechanism could have been put in place to get around that. An invite to a server from a player with an established toon - it's simply a field on a row on a database that says "'yes' they can create toons on locked servers because their friend invited them".

Locking the early access servers would have been an awesome move. I guess, though, that that severely inhibits peoples opportunity to join up with their friends on those servers - but surely some mechanism could have been put in place to get around that. An invite to a server from a player with an established toon - it's simply a field on a row on a database that says "'yes' they can create toons on locked servers because their friend invited them".

No you cant create servers full of one type of player. Servers should benefit from a wide range of players not just those that pre ordered.

'One type of player?' Oh, you mean smart?

There are different kinds though. Like, financially smart. You know, those that didnt pre-order because they wanted to see how those that did reviewed it and whatnot. I know that the first month is free, but getting the actual game client is not.

There are different kinds though. Like, financially smart. You know, those that didnt pre-order because they wanted to see how those that did reviewed it and whatnot. I know that the first month is free, but getting the actual game client is not.

I think I was financially smart by preordering early. If I wanted to see what the game was like, I need only have signed up to beta test at some point before November and I would have gotten to play it on that final weekend. Frankly, if you couldn't determine for yourself in that 2-day period if you wanted to play or not, then no, you're not really smart in any sense of the word (anyone was free to cancel their preorders at any time after that).

Edited by AJediKnight

Got to laugh , purely because if server A is overcrowded but server B has a low pop .... probabilities are that people will quit from both for totally different reasons , it is purely bad management and cost cutting as to why they did nothing at the start.

They want to launch the game as cheaply as possible (just like all the other games out there).

So they go with the minimum number of servers... if they capped the servers then new people would have to go to the less populated servers and they would get a nice healthy pop across te board , As it stands low pop servers will possibly die and high pop will see people quitting the game, happens in every launch and it will probably happen here also .

Well done EA you lost yourself a lot of subs by being cheap! (just like all other games, don't know why these managers never learn by other peoples mistakes?)

Thanks for saying this so I don't have to. The STUPIDEST thing Bioware can do now is to launch too many servers. We won't know for a month or so after launch how sustainable the population is, and waiting in a queue now is a LOT better than having one community-killing server merge after another in six months. (Cough Warhammer cough).

I agree with you on this one - add more servers to the clustered populations - bam - problem solved. This is starting to be .. hmm .. an insult to our patience and loyalty towards BioWare.