Already hearing it

mykaelmjr

Hey all

During beta I decided to roll a dps guardian. I prefer the single saber style and I like the look of heavy armor. I was in a group today and told that I should be a sentinel if I want to dps. It was my understanding that Bio was going to put guardians within 5% of sentinels in terms of dps. I don't really plan to ever tank. I'm now lvl 29, should I listen to the nay sayers or will guardians be able to compete as a dps class?

Hey all

During beta I decided to roll a dps guardian. I prefer the single saber style and I like the look of heavy armor. I was in a group today and told that I should be a sentinel if I want to dps. It was my understanding that Bio was going to put guardians within 5% of sentinels in terms of dps. I don't really plan to ever tank. I'm now lvl 29, should I listen to the nay sayers or will guardians be able to compete as a dps class?

Three points:

1. There are no DPS meters. So technically, anyone who claims significantly better DPS for one AC vs. another are smoking.

2. If I were smoking, I would say my guardian (26 currently) competes just fine in DPS. I am spec'd Vigilance right now for leveling purposes (near end-game, I may either dual-spec into Defense or re-spec into Defense if dual-spec isn't released yet). In Shien form, I frequently either hold or take aggro from other DPS if we don't have a tank working to hold aggro.

3. People are morons. The talent trees are CLEARLY built to allow each class three different play-styles. For Guardian, the playstyles are:

- Tank

- DPS, focused on Saber-based Guardian powers

- DPS, focused on Force-based Guardian powers

This isn't WOW, where class = role, and the talent trees are simply ways to perform your role. The majority of classes have 2 roles available to them.

For Sentinel, the difference is simply - all three play-styles available are DPS.

Find people to group with who actually "get it". Personally - I will play a Marauder eventually so I can experience the other Knight/Warrior AC (Sentinel mirror) and to experience the Sith Warrior storyline. But in terms of play-style, options, aesthetics - I tried both classes to ~20 in beta and there's a reason I have only rolled a single class since early access...my Guardian.

This isn't WOW, where class = role, and the talent trees are simply ways to perform your role. The majority of classes have 2 roles available to them.

I hate WoW, but that being said, your description is completely off.

Warriors- 2 roles since vanilla

Paladins- 3 roles since vanilla

Druids- 3 roles since vanilla

Priests- 2 roles since vanilla

Druids, 4 roles now. Tank, Healer, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS.

aahhahahahahah paladin tanking in vanilla ohohohohohoo druid tanking in vanilla omg i am gizzing ma pants.

aahhahahahahah paladin tanking in vanilla ohohohohohoo druid tanking in vanilla omg i am gizzing ma pants.

The list changed drastically after the first expansion launched. Before that though:

Warrior = 2 roles

Shaman = 1 role

Druid = 1 role (rare exceptions for tanking, but they were exceptions, not the norm)

Mage = 1 role

Priest = 2 roles (manabattery shadowpriest exceptions, but they weren't there for sick dps)

Paladin = 1 role

Warlock = 1 role

Rogue = 1 role

Not to say those with one roll didn't have other talent specs available, they did, they just weren't viable in an ENDGAME PvE environment.

That being said, despite being a Shaman in endgame vanilla PvE, I would occasionally tank and/or dps in smaller content at that level. It just wasn't a viable role for raiding, the true endgame for PvE.

The list changed drastically after the first expansion launched. Before that though:

Warrior = 2 roles

Shaman = 1 role

Druid = 1 role (rare exceptions for tanking, but they were exceptions, not the norm)

Mage = 1 role

Priest = 2 roles (manabattery shadowpriest exceptions, but they weren't there for sick dps)

Paladin = 1 role

Warlock = 1 role

Rogue = 1 role

Not to say those with one roll didn't have other talent specs available, they did, they just weren't viable in an ENDGAME PvE environment.

That being said, despite being a Shaman in endgame vanilla PvE, I would occasionally tank and/or dps in smaller content at that level. It just wasn't a viable role for raiding, the true endgame for PvE.

this. and people lived with it. and lived with 5 min palabuffs in 40 man raids. and water/food summoning. and 20 minutes corpseruns to Nefarion. i'd better stop now.

this game is amazingly polished and well designed at start, i am actually impressed. you also didnt note (tho i am sure you know that) that it was not only 1 role for most classes, it was exact! one spec, with literally every point in its specific place with such a little variation it can be neglected. raiding as a warlock first year of WoW was literally putting CoE spam Shadow Bolt. and in PvP locks were dead meat before the introduction of mr deathcoil in the end of vanilla. and people played locks! and even in pvp! my god. this game is amazingly well balanced. i know time changes standarts but still i like SWtor.

it has issues but lets just hope for a proper balancing approach from the BW team.