Improve Performance under wine/Linux

TDemon

Hi everybody,

I am fully aware that this game is developed and intended to work only for the Windows operating system. I am also quite aware that the number of players, whose main operating system is not Windows, is propably in the low one-digit percent range.

But I am not asking for a full-blown native client for Linux.

There have been certain events in the gaming community regarding Linux, lately. And suddenly, with the latest, massive improvement of my graphics driver (could this stand in any relation to these events?) I can play SW:TOR under Linux with almost the same graphics settings and performance as under Windows.

This got my hopes up and encouraged me into writing this thread.

It was a long and frustrating way to even get the game to launch and log in, but I (and propably hundreds more) managed to do so. I can play the game with nearly the same experience as on its prime platform. It runs stable, and since lately, smoothly too.

Nevertheless there are a few glitches that really are annoying. I'm not going further into detail, but for example there is this issue with the launcher that prevents the whole game to run in fullscreen mode or even change the resolution.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not asking for a native client. But I wouldnt complain about some small support or fixes for the worst problems.

A nice overview how to start SW:TOR under and a nice overview of the nastiest problems can be found on the game page of the wine project: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27088

thanks, and regards

I also second this, been playing on wine for almost a year now.

The most annoying thing for me however are not the map crashes (easily avoided in end game) or the launcher but the random stuttering/freezes i keep having ever since the 1.4 patch :(

I'd like to add my voice, as well! It would be far easier to impress my friends with the game (and talk them into buying it) if I didn't have to run it on my old crappy windows box. I'm not going to pay for another copy of windows just for this game, great as it is!

I don't see why bioware would want us to give MS money, when it could be going toward subscriptions! (Especially when they seem to be lagging!)

• 3 weeks later...
This would be awesome. Because of my computer's primary functions, I am finding it increasingly difficult to find opportunities where I can reboot into windows mode to simply to play a game. The other games I play all work well under linux, which means that SW:TOR is the only reason left for me to switch to Windows. It is not possible for me to do my work from Windows, and the downtime while I'm playing causes a significant disruption. So.. I'm left with two options at this point: Stop playing SW:TOR until it will run under linux, or buy a second computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I would mail my copy of Windows to B.W. to hang from their rear-view mirror, if they developed a linux client. I think a lot of dev's underestimate the number of Linux users out there. It's a major untapped market for any company if they got their foot in the door. Edited by Atlantida

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would have spent the money on swtor cm instead of windows8 + 8.1 and all the software I put on it.

All out of my monthly computer funds, so yes, in fact Microsoft got money that could have been turned into coins.

If you hire a student or such to make this game run on linux + wine... it would probably net you $$$, might get some positive headlines in the news, love from the geeks AND actually be an interesting, properly paid opportunity for that one student to get into the genre.

Just a thought. And no, I'm no student. ;)