New Player wanting to heal in pvp

thebeernana

Which class? Im looking for complex gameplay but not impossible. I am an experienced MMO'er but not a truly great player.

PVE should be doable but doesn't have to be super easy either.

thanks in advance for any input.

TBN

sage/sorc

everyone will tell you op/scoundrel but I have both and I enjoy my sorc more. Check out my youtube vids to see some gameplay as a sorc healer. links are in my signature!

sage/sorc

everyone will tell you op/scoundrel but I have both and I enjoy my sorc more. Check out my youtube vids to see some gameplay as a sorc healer. links are in my signature!

Cilas I have watched your gameplay and I would definitely say you are a good sorc healer. That is phenominal. They are hard to find... But with the extensive gameplay I assume you have I don't understand how you are telling this poor guy to level as a sage or a sorc right now. Operatives or scoundrels outclass a sage or sorc in every single way other than bubbles, and bioware has stated they will be nerfing the stun bubble. It is great you love healing on your sorc, and I love healing on mine... But let's throw this guy a bone and let him level a class that is the safest bet for healing... not just taking a gamble on what happens next patch.

Which class? Im looking for complex gameplay but not impossible. I am an experienced MMO'er but not a truly great player.

TBN

Scoundrel is best healer for pvp by far.

But if you're looking for a healer that will be need in both pvp and pve, I'd go with sage.

sage/sorc

Don't listen to Cilas. You would have to be very, very good to have an easier time of playing a sorc and Cilas is waayyyyy too good to know what playing like the 99% of us is like.

TBN

operative/scoundrel.

They have a learning curve to manage energy. They're not too hard to understand, BUT

They are VERY hard to -master-.

The difference between mastering a class and understanding a class is immense.

And trust me, the things you can do once you master operative. yumyumyum

It's all based off of the player. Some people play ops better and others sorcs better. Personally I play sorcs better than my Op and don't know why, I just do. All based off of the style in which you play I guess. I find the different maps compliment different healers too. But I won't get into that.

Don't listen to Cilas. You would have to be very, very good to have an easier time of playing a sorc and Cilas is waayyyyy too good to know what playing like the 99% of us is like.

I prefer playing a sorc healer, and I'm not even the hybrid spec, so I'm not worried about the inevitable nerf that is coming soon. I tried scoundrel for a while, didn't like it at all and didn't do too well and found it less than enjoyable. It's a matter of personal preference. I do just fine as a sorc, and I find it both easier and more enjoyable for me to play. I often out-heal operative healers that are both on my team or the other team. I know several excellent full healer sorcs on my server, and when I don't get top healing, it's usually always another sorc with pretty much the same spec as me that does. Different players will like and play different classes better. Just because popular opinion says that ops are the better healers, it doesn't make it the truth. Both classes can do equally well, it all depends on the player behind the keyboard who's piloting them. My advice to the OP is don't take anyone's word for it. Try out all three healer classes or their Republic mirrors. Find the one you enjoy playing the most, and then play that one. That is the only way you will find out what works best for you, and what you're good at. Find your own niche.

Edited by Solarenergy

I tried scoundrel for a while, didn't like it at all and didn't do too well and found it less than enjoyable..

Sounds like you didn't try it enough. For a Scoundrel-healer to become good, you'll have to be lv31 minimum. Before that you don't have Emergency Medpac and Emergent Emergencies, which leave you with 3 (+1) healing skills that don't work so well. When you get those two extra skill points, the Scoundrel becomes an altogether different beast. Defense Screen (at 32) boosts your survivability some more. By 40 you should have Kolto Cloud and about all the relevant skills in the Sawbones-three and you are "complete".

Edited by Memo-

thanks all!

Odd that trooper doesnt even get a mention.

I appreciate all the feedback

tbn

Merc/Mando healer is far too dependent on casted heals. they have 1 instant single target heal (21s cooldown) and 1 instant aoe heal that really heals for a pathetic amount. a coordinated team will interrupt both your casted heals, and then you are SOL.

the one strength that Merc/Mando healers have is the interrupt immunity from Energy Shield/Reactive Shield. when you can combine that with a full resolve bar you are unkillable for 12s (15s w/ set bonus). but most good teams know that, and will try to avoid white-barring a Merc/Mando healer until they after they use Energy Shield.

I think sorc/sage is easier to get big output if you understand that bubble and innervate are godlike heals. Operative has a higher learning curve in the sense that you have to be much more proactive because you don't have 6k+ in instant heals. (bubble is 4500ish plus at least one 1500+ tick of innervate to start the channel). Op's best emergency heal might actually require you to attack first to build TA.

You can do well with either.

TBN

Operative/Scoundrel is overall the best. Their mobility is lacking, which makes it not as fun and their procs can be very rng. But they bring a good blend of CC and healing output. The interrupt from this class being a short range really makes it unappealing.

Sage/Sorcerer is more fun imo, but if there are more than one in your group, your effectiveness drops dramatically.

Commando/Merc healers are seriosly lacking abilities compared to the other 2, making them less fun.

Sounds like you didn't try it enough. For a Scoundrel-healer to become good, you'll have to be lv31 minimum. Before that you don't have Emergency Medpac and Emergent Emergencies, which leave you with 3 (+1) healing skills that don't work so well. When you get those two extra skill points, the Scoundrel becomes an altogether different beast. Defense Screen (at 32) boosts your survivability some more. By 40 you should have Kolto Cloud and about all the relevant skills in the Sawbones-three and you are "complete".

Actually, i'm very well aware of that. And in fact, I did try it to the point where I feel is enough. My scoundrel is now a shelved level 50. I first respecced one night for fun, back when the respecs were only once a week, I was at level 32. Tried it for a few levels, hit level 34 and respecced back to scrapper. I did respect back when I hit 40, because then I could get the kolto cloud if I did the full sawbones tree. Played it again for quite a while, never got to the point where I liked it. Yeah it's nice to have that spam-able instant heal and all. I did have good survivability, but I just didn't enjoy it. Similar to the way I have a vanguard who every time I get in a warzone, does crazy damage, but I hardly ever play her these days because I don't find it fun for me. There are just certain classes/specs I like to play, and some that I don't enjoy, and the whole point of a game is to have fun, so if I'm not having fun, there's no point in playing that class for me.

Edited by Solarenergy

Cilas I have watched your gameplay and I would definitely say you are a good sorc healer. That is phenominal. They are hard to find... But with the extensive gameplay I assume you have I don't understand how you are telling this poor guy to level as a sage or a sorc right now. Operatives or scoundrels outclass a sage or sorc in every single way other than bubbles, and bioware has stated they will be nerfing the stun bubble. It is great you love healing on your sorc, and I love healing on mine... But let's throw this guy a bone and let him level a class that is the safest bet for healing... not just taking a gamble on what happens next patch.

you're correct.. let me restate my suggestion:

Play what you enjoy. :)

Both sage/sorc and scoundrel/ops have their benefits and weaknesses. Additionally, no one can read the future so who knows what's in store for these two classes as far as buffs and nerfs go. Right now ops/scoundrel is considered king but that may change. Hell, commando healers may have their day on the throne soon, impossible to know right now.