Am I doing it right?

Zaxem

Hi i'm new to sniper just hit 50 i was wondering if between 1050-1100dps on the ops dummy on my ship is about right for my gear lvl unstimmed and no adrenal for a 5min parse

spec =5/531

my stats are:

RANGED

1377 cunning

828-914 dmg

103.07 acc

31.33% crit

66.41 surge

TECH

697.1 bonous dmg

113.07% acc

30.30% crit

66.41 surge

here is a link to my gear with as mr robot http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/1642ac29-58dc-4976-92e7-06c65944ad98

I know my gear/stats isn't good or augmented like i said just hit 50 on my sniper and i want to make sure i'm doing everything right as for stats i'm aiming for 100% accuracy 35% crit with agent buff 75% surge rest power

the rotation i'm doing on the dummy

keep shatter shot debuff up > corrosive grenade > corrosive dart > Weakening Blast > Cull > Orbital strike/ series of shots/ambush/snipe with laze target whatever is not on cooldown. the priority rotation i use while waiting for cull and weakening blast to come off cooldown and dots to expire is orbital strike > series of shots > ambush > snipe with laze target> explosive probe if everything is on cooldown only really use it a few times ( i let the dots expire 100% I don't re apply when the talent kicks in)

Thank you for any tips or advise like i said i'm new to sniper

Edited by Zaxem

keep shatter shot debuff up > corrosive grenade > corrosive dart > Weakening Blast > Cull > Orbital strike/ series of shots/ambush/snipe with laze target whatever is not on cooldown. the priority rotation i use while waiting for cull and weakening blast to come off cooldown and dots to expire is orbital strike > series of shots > ambush > snipe with laze target> explosive probe if everything is on cooldown only really use it a few times ( i let the dots expire 100% I don't re apply when the talent kicks in)

Thank you for any tips or advise like i said i'm new to sniper

Your basic rotation is

CG-CD-WB-Cull - Filler - Cull

Filler is Orbital strike, Takedown, SoS, Ambush, Exp Probe, Rifle shot (whenever low on energy)

You can use shatter shot if you want. Usually the boss is armor debuffed by someone else in PVE (mercs, juggs, etc.), so it's not usually part of my normal PVE rotation.

You want to keep your dots on full strength all the time for max DPS. If you're really hurting for energy, you can use the lower strength/lingering toxins ones to prevent a drastic drop in DPS, but it is a loss. You will usually have a GCD you can throw a rifle shot in while in the reapplying DOTs phase of your rotation before Cull is up again. Snipe sucks for lethality, just use rifle shot instead. The damage is marginally better than rifle shot and it's energy cost is horrendous (MM gets a lot of talents that boost snipe, Lethality gets none so it is really a poor power for this build).

The other trick is to drop orbital strike, then use relics/adrenals as soon as it's done casting. You'll not waste 3 seconds of the buffs time channeling orbital strike, but you'll still see the benefit. As an opener, I usually CG-CD-Orbital-adrenal/relics/WB-Cull - Filler.

For gear, I'd really get more critical rating. You need >38% critical chance to maintain your energy with lethality (40% is better, but it's easier to get with better gear).

Edited by Infalliable

Your basic rotation is

CG-CD-WB-Cull - Filler - Cull

Filler is Orbital strike, Takedown, SoS, Ambush, Exp Probe, Rifle shot (whenever low on energy)

You can use shatter shot if you want. Usually the boss is armor debuffed by someone else in PVE (mercs, juggs, etc.), so it's not usually part of my normal PVE rotation.

You want to keep your dots on full strength all the time for max DPS. If you're really hurting for energy, you can use the lower strength/lingering toxins ones to prevent a drastic drop in DPS, but it is a loss. You will usually have a GCD you can throw a rifle shot in while in the reapplying DOTs phase of your rotation before Cull is up again. Snipe sucks for lethality, just use rifle shot instead. The damage is marginally better than rifle shot and it's energy cost is horrendous (MM gets a lot of talents that boost snipe, Lethality gets none so it is really a poor power for this build).

The other trick is to drop orbital strike, then use relics/adrenals as soon as it's done casting. You'll not waste 3 seconds of the buffs time channeling orbital strike, but you'll still see the benefit. As an opener, I usually CG-CD-Orbital-adrenal/relics/WB-Cull - Filler.

For gear, I'd really get more critical rating. You need >38% critical chance to maintain your energy with lethality (40% is better, but it's easier to get with better gear).

alright thanks i got it right for the most part then just a few tweaks here and there but i was wondering. i know you said don't use snipe at all but i read some where it's worth using only with the auto crit Cooldown and only if your other fillers are on CD

alright thanks i got it right for the most part then just a few tweaks here and there but i was wondering. i know you said don't use snipe at all but i read some where it's worth using only with the auto crit Cooldown and only if your other fillers are on CD

You shouldn't ever be in that situation though. You will always have SoS/Ambush ready for filler after every other cull.

Why do you put on dots before Weakening blast? I'm just wondering the reason for it, so I can explain to others in my guild.

"Internal effects" that WB affects are multiplied, so it makes the most sense to use it on the most powerful effects, which is the internal damage component of cull. Note that the operative's ability to chain cull if set up right makes saving weakening blasts amazingly destructive.

"Internal effects" that WB affects are multiplied, so it makes the most sense to use it on the most powerful effects, which is the internal damage component of cull. Note that the operative's ability to chain cull if set up right makes saving weakening blasts amazingly destructive.

Hold it. Does weakening blast actually affect cull? Because, from what I saw during my brief time as a lethality sniper, it had no effect whatsoever. The numbers were only reduced from the poison effects themselves, and the sudden drop in three instead of two most likely came from the "ticks twice" skill.

Hold it. Does weakening blast actually affect cull? Because, from what I saw during my brief time as a lethality sniper, it had no effect whatsoever. The numbers were only reduced from the poison effects themselves, and the sudden drop in three instead of two most likely came from the "ticks twice" skill.

Looking at numbers makes it hard to tell, but yes it does, I am a PvP sniper, I run leth alot. I can't say to be certain and have no parses to back it up, but how i see it, is that the yellow damage caused by cull is treated as a "poisen effect" This is the terminology used in the tooltip for many skills including weakening blast.. Things i have noticed, Lethal purpose restores energy on crits, When I cull someone, i notice my energy rise significantly, this synergises with Lethal Dose, raising the crit chance of poisen effects, and razor rounds, increasing crit chance of Cull. you also have Devouring microbes, this also relies on poinsen effects which would inturn effect your yellow damage on cull.

If anyone has hard evidence for or against let me know.

EDIT: BTW there is Definently a significant use up of the 10 weakening blast debuff stack.

Edited by Krayshawn

Cull has 2 separate types of damage. The straight weapon damage, which is white and not effected by WB. The bonus damage for having CD and CG present is also a "poison" and is effected by WB.

Easy way to tell is apply WB, then hit Cull with the CD and CG up. Then watch the WB stacks tick away.

Edited by Infalliable

OP -- The one big piece of advice I would give you is on your talent trees. I run 2/8/31 and am doing pretty much top damage in my 16M raiding guild these days. A couple differences from your spec:

**I think you can ditch marksmanship. You can make up the difference in accuracy with your gear by swapping out just a few mods/enhancements, and I think it's worth it at higher levels of gear. This allows you to take explosive engineering, which will make four of your regularly used abilities (EP, OS, frag grenade and CD) hit harder. Consequently, EP should be higher up your priority list for filler between culls -- like, use it on cooldown during those phases. You should also be using BM or WH shells on two of your main pieces, giving you the two-piece PvP set bonus. This makes OS hit four times, giving you more returns on your 30% AoE increase. I could see maybe taking marksmanship if it's going to lead to something worthwhile on the second tier of that tree, but there is nothing worth taking there to justify spending points in marksmanship that can just be made up with a little gear tweaking.

**It's not a huge deal, but IMO it's not worth getting deadly directive over razor edge. Alacrity is just gonna contribute to energy management problems, and it's not going to make your DoTs tick any faster. Shiv, you might end up actually using.

**I don't know why you'd want your CD to slow its targets rather than reduce the cooldown on escape, cover pulse and shield probe (choosing adhesive corosives over hold your ground). Most if not all boss encounters are going to be immune to CC, and it's not like trash is around long enough for movement speed to be an issue. The three abilities with reduced cooldowns can all come in handy multiple times per fight.

That's it for the skill tree differences. I would push the crit percentage to the 38-40% range. Rotation looks fine, except upgrade EP and eliminate snipe from the list. Work on maximizing OS connections and double dotting, these two things will really set your dps apart that extra bit.

OP -- The one big piece of advice I would give you is on your talent trees. I run 2/8/31 and am doing pretty much top damage in my 16M raiding guild these days. A couple differences from your spec:

**I think you can ditch marksmanship. You can make up the difference in accuracy with your gear by swapping out just a few mods/enhancements, and I think it's worth it at higher levels of gear. This allows you to take explosive engineering, which will make four of your regularly used abilities (EP, OS, frag grenade and CD) hit harder. Consequently, EP should be higher up your priority list for filler between culls -- like, use it on cooldown during those phases. You should also be using BM or WH shells on two of your main pieces, giving you the two-piece PvP set bonus. This makes OS hit four times, giving you more returns on your 30% AoE increase. I could see maybe taking marksmanship if it's going to lead to something worthwhile on the second tier of that tree, but there is nothing worth taking there to justify spending points in marksmanship that can just be made up with a little gear tweaking.

**It's not a huge deal, but IMO it's not worth getting deadly directive over razor edge. Alacrity is just gonna contribute to energy management problems, and it's not going to make your DoTs tick any faster. Shiv, you might end up actually using.

**I don't know why you'd want your CD to slow its targets rather than reduce the cooldown on escape, cover pulse and shield probe (choosing adhesive corosives over hold your ground). Most if not all boss encounters are going to be immune to CC, and it's not like trash is around long enough for movement speed to be an issue. The three abilities with reduced cooldowns can all come in handy multiple times per fight.

That's it for the skill tree differences. I would push the crit percentage to the 38-40% range. Rotation looks fine, except upgrade EP and eliminate snipe from the list. Work on maximizing OS connections and double dotting, these two things will really set your dps apart that extra bit.

thanks the only reason i did take the acurracy talent was so i didn't have gear for that much extra and i can get more power/surge but i see alot of people with the build you run just wasn't sure of why no accuracy talent but i'll go ahead and change the builds

Edited by Zaxem

Another thing to mention about using WB after you throw your dots (besides having the full effect on Cull which is most important) is that since WB uses no energy, it gives you a little extra regeneration time before Cull. So it's a win-win situation.

also to OP - more crit and more surge

Edited by chuixupu