Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hardest spec to use in PvP

LastWizard

Hey everybody! Just another player wondering to about the hardest spec in game to run and be successful in PvP is. I honestly think a full madness assassin or lethatlity operative would be difficult to run. Any ideas on what spec is harder to run in PvP?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everybody! Just another player wondering to about the hardest spec in game to run and be successful in PvP is. I honestly think a full madness assassin or lethatlity operative would be difficult to run. Any ideas on what spec is harder to run in PvP?

Define "hardest". Do you mean "Which spec is the most difficult spec to play in terms of complexity of achieving 100% efficiency?" or something like "Which spec is the least likely to top the damage charts in a warzone full of equally skilled and geared players?" or something like "Which spec is the most difficult to actually find a way to contribute to your team in a meaningful way?"

I don't think either of the specs you mentioned qualify for the third scenario, since they both have stealth mechanics that make them useful for most of the warzones. I also don't think Lethality is a particularly complex spec to play, so I think #1 is out for that. Haven't played an Assassin / Shadow past level 20, so I can't comment there.

Putting aside useless specs (like "I'm going to put all my points in PvE skills toward the bottoms of each tree!), I think the full tank specs are the hardest to actually contribute to your team in a meaningful way. There's almost no reason to play as a full tank Guardian, for instance, since a Defense/Vigilance hybrid has more survivability and (of course) more damage.

The tank role is the hardest in PvP. Full tank or hybrid tank guardian/Jug has the highest skill cap I would think. They probably have the most abilities or close to the most and the playstyle requires you to multi-target not only enemy but friendly targets (which can be a nightmare) while still having to worry about resource/positioning/objectives/rotation/etc like the other classes have to.

You can make the claim that vigil guardians have an even higher skill cap, because they can do everything above by switching stances and guard swapping. And from what i understand vigil is a little harder to play than focus.

Shadow/Sin tanks are a close second.

Lightning Sorc for sure. Followed by Commando DPS trees, then Madness DPS tree of Sorc (looks pretty, but its a lot of dot damage)

Pretty much, if you want 'advanced/challenge' mode, you should roll a sorcerer/sage or mercenary/commando.

In terms of playing an AC to its' full potential I'm going to say assassin/shadow. There's a huge gap between a good and a bad, or even average, one.

Then there's the specs/AC'es that are hard to play because their potential is so low. Those have already been mentioned.

Scrapper/Concealment (shameless plug for personal class, I know).

But seriously, this is a hard class to play WELL. I emphasize the last word because it is very easy to run around as a Scrapper and just try to combo out the Recruit-geared Sorcerers, paying special attention to avoiding anyone with 18K+ HP. Once you go up against better players with better gear in better specs, however, the class often just falls apart.

Scrapper is widely considered broken in PvP, with god awful defensive cooldowns, laughable survivability, terrible sustained damage/resource management, no utility compared to Shadows/Sins, and reliance on melee range with bad gap closers. Scrapper burst seems great, but is really no better than Pyrotechs, Marauders, and Deception Sins. The class appears overall quite weak.

At least, it seems weak to most players. To others, it is a challenge. With proper use of virtually every single CD in your arsenal (excluding literally only one, Surrender), Scrappers can be quite powerful. But this requires some pretty excellent PvP abilities. You need to know when and where to heal, what heal to use, how to use your AOEs (even Blaster Volley!), how to manage energy (when to keep it over 60 and when to burst down), when to use your finishing combos (missing a Backblast off CD just to stack it with Sabotage Charge), preparing to Flashbang (opponent can't be DOTted!), kiting with Tendon Blast, how to counter all of the "better" classes out there (Quickshot/Charged Burst during Shroud, saving stuns for low-hp Operative healers, pop stealth during 40% Jug DR, etc.), and a range of other considerations.

Unlike other classes, when you make these decisions on the fly, making the wrong decision is often certain death. We don't have strong cooldowns to make up for bad gameplay.

Edited by ktkenshinx

Scrapper/Concealment (shameless plug for personal class, I know).

But seriously, this is a hard class to play WELL. I emphasize the last word because it is very easy to run around as a Scrapper and just try to combo out the Recruit-geared Sorcerers, paying special attention to avoiding anyone with 18K+ HP. Once you go up against better players with better gear in better specs, however, the class often just falls apart.

Scrapper is widely considered broken in PvP, with god awful defensive cooldowns, laughable survivability, terrible sustained damage/resource management, no utility compared to Shadows/Sins, and reliance on melee range with bad gap closers. Scrapper burst seems great, but is really no better than Pyrotechs, Marauders, and Deception Sins. The class appears overall quite weak.

At least, it seems weak to most players. To others, it is a challenge. With proper use of virtually every single CD in your arsenal (excluding literally only one, Surrender), Scrappers can be quite powerful. But this requires some pretty excellent PvP abilities. You need to know when and where to heal, what heal to use, how to use your AOEs (even Blaster Volley!), how to manage energy (when to keep it over 60 and when to burst down), when to use your finishing combos (missing a Backblast off CD just to stack it with Sabotage Charge), preparing to Flashbang (opponent can't be DOTted!), kiting with Tendon Blast, how to counter all of the "better" classes out there (Quickshot/Charged Burst during Shroud, saving stuns for low-hp Operative healers, pop stealth during 40% Jug DR, etc.), and a range of other considerations.

Unlike other classes, when you make these decisions on the fly, making the wrong decision is often certain death. We don't have strong cooldowns to make up for bad gameplay.

For normal WZs, you guys are fine. People don't taunt or guard so you'll pretty much burst someone down really quick.

TK sages are definitely the worst, followed closely by lethality ops, and then gunnery commandos.

For normal WZs, you guys are fine. People don't taunt or guard so you'll pretty much burst someone down really quick.

For normal WZs with no premades, you mean. At least on my server, once it hits 7:00 PM I don't go up against a single imp team that doesn't have a 4 man premade with tank/healer pairings. And even then, we can do fine; it's just very difficult.

As to ranked play, I would take a Shadow over a Scrapper any day, or at least just tell the Scrapper to reroll a Shadow.

TK sages are definitely the worst, followed closely by lethality ops, and then gunnery commandos.

No argument on TK and gunnery specs. Lethality is tricky because that spec is just so terrible in PvP that it is virtually impossible to do well.

False, only good players can burst totally undergeared people, but it is not as easy as some believe. You are the first person in this thread to say that Scrapp/Lethality is not broken.

In terms of playing an AC to its' full potential I'm going to say assassin/shadow. There's a huge gap between a good and a bad, or even average, one.

Except a well played Shadow/Sin will rape. A well played Merc/Commando still loses to a one armed blind kid with epilepsy playing a Mara/Sent.

Edited by Dabrixmgp

Jugg / Guardian tank-spec is hard work, but rewarding when you get a good (balanced) team with a healer who recognises you're trying to keep them alive. It's especially hard at the moment due to all the smash-monkey trains. In most PUG groups tanking is futile and the overall survivability of the team is improved by re-speccing focus DPS (i.e. if you can't beat them, join them). The only exception to this is in Huttball, which is the one WZ where guardians excel.

Guys, I can tell you that operative concealment is at the moment really hard to play in mini games. Squishy, low dps, no gap closer, energy management problems, unreliable stealth system (people see me from 20-30 meters), the worst thing is that your 2 main attacks are conditional :

- hidden strike can only be used from stealth which is pretty hard to do when you are constantly put out of stealth by direct damages (stealth system broken), I am lucky if I can use that 3-4 times in a bg...

- backstab is only usable in the back of the target.

The only advantage you have is that you're considered such a genuine threat that people continue to play as if you were not present in the battle. May be our second dps spec, lethality is even more broken and unplayable in pvp but I assure you that concealment dps is in a pretty bad shape at the moment.

Edited by SIDIOUSFAN

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.