The Worst MMORPG Launch!!!!

Formhandle

A Reminder for those with memory loss. As Roy Jones Jr. says Ya'll Must of Forgot!!

5.) Star Wars Galaxies

What happens when you’re about to launch an MMORPG based on one of the world’s most beloved intellectual properties? Well, you pretty much get the attention of the entire gaming world. And even though MMOs were still working their way toward wide-spread gaming acceptance, Star Wars Galaxies had hundreds of thousands of eager players lining up on launch day to try out SOE and Raph Koster’s idea of a virtual Star Wars galaxy that they could live in. The problem is that the game didn’t actually launch on the day it was supposed to… many issues kept the servers from going live until the day after. I can only assume there were quite a few people who stayed home from work “sick” that were displeased that day.

4.) Aion

Aion had a huge slew of expectations behind it. The next major MMORPG release from NCsoft after Tabula Rasa, heralded as a return to form for the company, released to wide acclaim in the East. Gameplay issues aside (until recently the title was heavily criticized for being too geared towards the Eastern audience), the main problem with the game at launch was that players just couldn’t log into it. Perhaps not expecting so many people anxious to try a game that promised the power of flight to be a main mechanic, the servers experienced massive queues for days on end. It was not pretty to be on their forums, or ours, or read any of the blogs during that release.

3.) Age of Conan

The first of two games on this list made by Funcom, Age of Conan didn’t really suffer from any server issues like Aion or SWG. Rather the game itself was woefully underdeveloped at launch, and came with a huge level of hype in its wake. A combination that never really bodes well. Though the game has bounced back under the direction of Craig Morrison, it’s likely it never will fully bounce back from its obviously early launch and achieve the kind of success it had once been pegged for. Luckily Mr. Morrison is no stranger to turning rough launches around, as #2 will clearly illustrate.

2.) Anarchy Online

Anarchy Online is nowadays known as a cult-classic MMORPG. It has oodles of fans from both the past and present that still love and play the pioneering game today. But who knew that the game would ever get beyond its absolutely horrific early days of release? When it comes to server and client stability issues, few can take the honor of most aggravating away from Anarchy Online. It definitely made up for its early issues with plenty of expansions and fun had by all its players for years, but man were those early days rough.

1.) World of Warcraft

However, as far as player-aggravation goes, Blizzard’s behemoth will probably own the title of most hair-pulling for a while. No one, not even Blizzard, expected WoW to become the juggernaut it has during its monumental six-year run. When it launched the fact that the developer was caught off guard by the response to its first MMO release was painfully obvious. Servers were down for days at a time, players couldn’t loot, server-side lag was abundant and no matter how many new shards the studio launched, they filled to peak population incredibly quickly. The early days of WoW were hampered by its own success. So much so that the developer began handing out free days in accordance with how many days the servers were inaccessible. In the end, let’s just hope that everyone has learned from all five of these games’ mistakes. I shudder to think about what Blizzard’s next MMO launch will be like.

original article http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4862

How is Final Fantasy 14 not on there?

The producer actually apologized to the community for how crappy the game was, made it free to play, and completely scrapped the game and started a whole new developement team. Meanwhile absolutely NO ONE played the game and people lost all of their trust in SE.

For the record, on Age of Conan. Morrison took the game even further down the craphole to the point where it's on bare life support now. He even tried to rewrite history by saying "AoC was never a PvP oriented game"

But yes, you can definitely tell who- amongst the rabid forum ragers has never been through an MMO launch before. With the exception of long queue times on larger servers this has been the smoothest launch I've ever seen.

By the way this is a few years old so FFIV and APB won't be on there.

Edited by Beatmiser

Your list is sub par at best. AO should be first mostly because of the need to basically relaunch the game with all the server problems they had. IN terms of we dropped the ball our game sucked, FF14 also should be there maybe the only game that was DOA and had to be remade. Warhammer wasnt an awful launch but became that way with all bugs that became so obvious as the game grew.

Wow had issues (inculding server queues) but was not as bad as some of the others.

1.) World of Warcraft

However, as far as player-aggravation goes, Blizzard’s behemoth will probably own the title of most hair-pulling for a while. No one, not even Blizzard, expected WoW to become the juggernaut it has during its monumental six-year run. When it launched the fact that the developer was caught off guard by the response to its first MMO release was painfully obvious. Servers were down for days at a time, players couldn’t loot, server-side lag was abundant and no matter how many new shards the studio launched, they filled to peak population incredibly quickly. The early days of WoW were hampered by its own success. So much so that the developer began handing out free days in accordance with how many days the servers were inaccessible. In the end, let’s just hope that everyone has learned from all five of these games’ mistakes. I shudder to think about what Blizzard’s next MMO launch will be like.

original article http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4862

wow launch was beyond terrible

Ppl couldnt play for several days, like 3 or 4

10 minutes - 15 minutes rollback (in that time, where u have to go from a map to another walking, not like now with 310 mounts and portals)

Accounts banned with no reason

No pvp more than the world one

it was fun becouse it was MASSIVE , just that. But wow was terrible

I dont have any problem that ppl makes reference, no leak, sometimes a 20m queue (used to it if u played high pops servers in other mmos). Quest works perfect (lvl 28-29 atm)

Every game launch with bugs - exploits - problem these days

cant do much about that

Wow makes mmo community a bunch of qq babies. Bioware for sure wants 10 m suscribers, but i cant deal with another wow kind com. Hope that ppl quit the game and dont come back. Never

I ve been there for WOW launch - everything worked fine - smoothest launch in a history.

After you posted this had to ask a few friends in team speak who were there at launch and they are saying something completely different... something about horrendous ques, latency, fps issues and random drops to top it all off.

Edited by Aria

I played WoW at launch and it was nowhere near as bad as Anarchy Online.

WoW's issues were simply failure to anticipate the level of demand. AO's issues were much more severe and included major client crash problems.

I actually played a game some years ago, who's name I don't recall, that had such a poor launch that they had to shut the game down and shortly thereafter they ran out of cash pulled the plug completely.

I would put SWG at No. 2 behind AO.

I lost your point in all this crap. My memory goes back to EQ2 and Asheron's Call where patches and new content came EVERY MONTH and there would be an accomanying downtime.

If your point is simply "these other games were bad too" so what?. Companies should be progessive and getting better at offering a product not staying the same or getting worse.

Past failures does not grant license for future failures or make them acceptable.

There's nothing much I can add aside from the fact I played THREE of the listed games at launch.

Although I don't remember AoC having huge problems (I could easily be forgetting though). But I do remember WoW being a mess. Unsurprisingly, I remember nothing about Aion.

Anarchy was the WORST though.

Great OP though. Some of the people on these forums need to calm down and cut bioware from slack. The first week and maybe the second week will be a mess. Anyone whose played an MMO on release should know this is nearly inevitable. And because it's the norm, and because CLEARLY the devs don't want the first days to suck, there's no one to get angry at.

Edited by Wishpig

I ve been there for WOW launch - everything worked fine - smoothest launch in a history.

I don't know which WoW launch you were at. It clearly wasn't the actual one because that one was terrible. Heck...the launch for Burning Crusade was almost just as bad:

1. Server Queues of up to 2 hours.

2. Enormous rubber banding costing players hours of labor.

3. Entire servers offline for days at a time.

4. Servers just straight up crashing.

It was terrible. We got a month of playtime for free because it was so bad.