The idea of "servers" is antiquated. Get with the times Bioware

displaynameinuse

This is 2012. Having many different unconnected servers is so 7 years ago.

With phasing and instancing there is no reason not to create 1 incredibly large server that everyone is a part of.

It seems that Bioware has so blatantly ripped off WoW that they never bothered to try and improve the MMO genre. Its sad.

Obviously you have no idea the kind of undertaking this would be, and if that one server went down, could you imagine the forum rage.

MMO's aint like call of duty, a single server would never work for a game of this magnitude.

...and to the above facebook comment, you must be joking or trolling

Edited by Baizak

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With phasing and instancing there is no reason not to create 1 incredibly large server that everyone is a part of.

yes this is the way it should have been done.

I personally dont want everyone to have a string of numbers after their name, for that reason alone i wouldnt play the game if all the servers were unified.

first/last names...how many John's are there in the world...how many do you know personally? would be easy to avoid numbers.

So u think that millions of people jammed on one server would somehow be benificial? Lol please crawl back under the bridge from whence u came troll. And if your serious please just get off the internet now. Im suprised you had enough higher brain functionality to post...

Obviously you have no idea the kind of undertaking this would be, and if that one server went down, could you imagine the forum rage.

MMO's aint like call of duty a single server would never work for a game of this magnitude.

You're both wrong. A full technical explanation would get lost in the morass of so-called armchair experts busily saying 'no that can't possibly work'.

To point one: MMOs already exist with said capability. Research harder.

To point two: The issue isn't a single box. What makes you think any single service on the Internet anywhere is a single box?

Forgive my terseness but frankly every 30 seconds someone is posting the same stuff.

Edited by Grammarye

You're both wrong. A full technical explanation would get lost in the morass of so-called armchair experts busily saying 'no that can't possibly work'.

To point two: The issue isn't a single box. What makes you think any single service on the Internet anywhere is a single box?

Forgive my terseness but frankly every 30 seconds someone is posting the same stuff.

Here Here!!

/Nods Head Rapidly

Edited by valandal

The mmos you are reffering to dont have a subscription base even close to the preorders swtor has recieved. Its a stupid idea and even stupider to argue about it. There is no reason a single server would be benificial.

It seems that Bioware has so blatantly ripped off WoW that they never bothered to try and improve the MMO genre. Its sad.

Last I checked this was still 2011.

Edited by Grumzz

The mmos you are reffering to dont have a subscription base even close to the preorders swtor has recieved. Its a stupid idea and even stupider to argue about it. There is no reason a single server would be benificial.

Sigh. GuildWars has hit 5 million subscriptions, and has easily had one-third of that in operation at peak times. Like I said, research harder.

Before calling someone stupid, please actually know something about the topic area. Can you describe how the two different systems can handle population, queuing, instancing?

Edited by Grammarye

also, the way each server is done is already doing the instancing for you. It would be no different just on a larger scale. but you would have three servers (server is just a name)...it is really thousands of computers all over the place.

PVE

PVP

PVP/RP

that is the names of the server right there. Then you build out your instances as they reach a certain number a new instance is needed that may or not be hosted by the same server machine. You can move to any instance you want till that instance reaches a hard cap.

there could be west coast instances, EU instances, East coast, etc...

there would never be a need for a server merge if the game population drops.

I suspect part of the reason they will not do it is it allows you to calculate the population of the game by how many instances are going vs hard to calculate the population if there are 1000 servers and half are empty.

Did not say it could not work. It would not be feasible or smart. No need to research harder. The assumption that Bioware choose multi servers just because wow did it is lol fail. Bioware knows what they are doing. I am pretty sure if the single server idea would be a better business model they would have used it.

Troll harder

Edited by Baizak

Let's hear the "technical explanation" then.

What about Europe? One server for a region with several different languages? What time zone should that one server be?

Should it be a PvP or PvE server? How about RP?

Edited by jengelb

Let's hear the "technical explanation" then.

What about Europe? One server for a region with several different languages? What time zone should that one server be?

Should it be a PvP or PvE server? How about RP?

^this guy gets it

^this guy gets it

Hmm..let me give this 1/2 second worth of thought.

OMG! I GOT IT!

1 massive server for the US, and 1 massive server for EU and all its different languages.

Or...each instance within the EU server would have its own language.

my brain hurts now.

Edited by displaynameinuse

No, this just works better. If you were actually coding the thing you might have a different opinion.

Antiquated...lol...people are so full of themselves.

But in all honestly, I would prefer that kind of model.

Edited by Drallbait

Um, the only games I know of that use 1 server for everyone are Champions, Star Trek and EVE. But most MMO's do multiple servers still.

As far as phasing, I was surprised that for a story driven game they didn't have that.

Sigh. GuildWars has hit 5 million subscriptions, and has easily had one-third of that in operation at peak times. Like I said, research harder.

Before calling someone stupid, please actually know something about the topic area. Can you describe how the two different systems can handle population, queuing, instancing?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Guild Wars is free online .....

soooooo ummmmmmmmm.. you fail.

I would go out of a limb and suggest that the servers are virtual anyway and that the are effectively instances in their own rights with instances within instances anyway.

That would expalin how they are able o rapidly increase the number of servers when needed. Just setup and configure a new virtual session and give it a name, set the params and away you go.

The entire game is just one massive bladefarm with serious amounts of shared storage I would imagine.

Yes, but no GOOD MMO's.

EVE and GW are garbage, ide quite SWTOR on principle if they started imitating them.

I dont know why you people assume instantly that when i said "one server" i was implying 1 server.

Its just freakin OBVIOUS, beyond any shadow of an empire, that I was implying multiple servers within 1 larger one. Server, in MMO worlds is no longer tech jargon, but represents the idea of connecting to a specific world where people run around.

One problem is that you're bad at getting your point across. Example, your opening statement was just: "1 server doesn't mean 1 server, it means 1 server."

And you DON'T mean "multiple servers within 1 larger one." You mean one realm within multiple servers. The realms are in the servers, not the other way around.

Its so freakin sad that people are unable to infer meaning from obvious statements. It means they can't read between simplistic lines and pretty much shows the degradation of our society

Actually, the de3gradation of our society can more factually be attributed to the decline of standards by people like you, who misstate themselves and then get indignant because other people didn't work to decipher what they meant. You didn't make the effort to express yourself clearly, so now we're supposed to read between the lines? That's pretty lazy, dude.

Hmm..let me give this 1/2 second worth of thought.

OMG! I GOT IT!

1 massive server for the US, and 1 massive server for EU and all its different languages.

Or...each instance within the EU server would have its own language.

my brain hurts now.

I'd love to see your Advanced Network Infrastructure Degree