rise of the cartel coins

sheeldon

Well, considering how most MMO's handle Expansions, you kind of would have to get the new Expansion in order to be able to do most if not all of the stuff that is in the Expansion. So, for those that don't get the Expansion, will more then likely, not be able to get to Level 55.

Sheeldon makes a very good point.

As a subscriber, what was the greatest benefit of the free to play conversion?

I think most of us can agree that it was a huge population infusion. The game is fun and the conversion probably stopped the exodus of subscribers once they had people to interact with again.

The thing with free to play people, though, is that the reason they showed up in the first place is because they didn't have to shell out (much) money. These are not the type of consumers who are going to plunk down $20 for Makeb.

The complaints on the forum are from people who have already demonstrated a willingness to pay a monthly subscription for the game. Most of the free to play people don't even know it's coming and their only voice will be their wallets (they don't have forum access).

This game is going to empty out again just like before free to play when Makeb hits. I don't think there's much of a case to be made otherwise. The servers will become just like they were before free to play.

I think most of us can agree that it was a huge population infusion. The game is fun and the conversion probably stopped the exodus of subscribers once they had people to interact with again.

The thing with free to play people, though, is that the reason they showed up in the first place is because they didn't have to shell out (much) money. These are not the type of consumers who are going to plunk down $20 for Makeb.

The complaints on the forum are from people who have already demonstrated a willingness to pay a monthly subscription for the game. Most of the free to play people don't even know it's coming and their only voice will be their wallets (they don't have forum access).

This game is going to empty out again just like before free to play when Makeb hits. I don't think there's much of a case to be made otherwise. The servers will become just like they were before free to play.

i just hope eaware know that the servers will be once again dead if they dont do this right

Sheeldon has no point. Neither do you.

The f2p crowd will come to play, and play to 50. Then they may try another class story.

You know sub numbers are down. You think they can give away content at this point? How do you expect the devs to be paid? The 15/month the <1 million subs that are paying will cover some basic server maintenance, but it's not going to cover new dev.

Cartel market profits will cover ( maybe ) the gigantic bite Lucas requires for the license ( and that's on ongoing fee, you realize, not a onetime cost ).

You people who keep ****** about the cost of the expansion need to learn some basic math. And economics. And, you know. Just get a freaking clue.

If you don't pay, you won't get further content. Live with it. Or don't. I won't be sad to see you go.

Edited by translucentwolf

let me put it simple, I don't believe that free players will stop playing because they can't do the same stuff that subscribers can. the F2P is a demo version of the game, he will either pay for the subs and keep playing or not at all. what I believe is that new players die with time, the game gets older, it lose publicity and the amount of players drop. the only thing that might keep players coming IS THE EXPANSION !

What this game NEEDS is more content, it's simply more publicity.

What this game NEEDS is more content, it's simply more publicity.

And so far, not good publicity, yet again.

Yep, EA most definitely deserves more of that. It should earn Hickman another promotion and a new game to destroy under their management model. :rolleyes:

Well, considering how most MMO's handle Expansions, you kind of would have to get the new Expansion in order to be able to do most if not all of the stuff that is in the Expansion. So, for those that don't get the Expansion, will more then likely, not be able to get to Level 55.

Do what? I have never seen an major MMO in my life that required the expansion for players to hit new level caps.

Expansions in MMO's almost always are accompanied by a general update patch. The patch updates the game to allow all players to level to the new cap along with any other general changes. And then the expansion includes the actual new content.

Players that do not wish to buy the expansion will without a doubt still have the ability to hit 55 through playing wz's and doing dailies or the Ops/Flashpoints that are scaled up to the new end game level. Though F2P'ers will likely have to at minimum buy some type of cartel item that allows them to hit the new level cap.

You can tell that SWTOR is the first MMO for a ton of players because this stuff is very common. Level 50 was at no point ever, ever meant to be end game.

Edited by Dawginole

Do what? I have never seen an major MMO in my life that required the expansion for players to hit new level caps.

Expansions in MMO's almost always are accompanied by a general update patch. The patch updates the game to allow all players to level to the new cap along with any other general changes. And then the expansion includes the actual new content.

Players that do not wish to buy the expansion will without a doubt still have the ability to hit 55 through playing wz's and doing dailies or the Ops/Flashpoints that are scaled up to the new end game level. Though F2P'ers will likely have to at minimum buy some type of cartel item that allows them to hit the new level cap.

You can tell that SWTOR is the first MMO for a ton of players because this stuff is very common. Level 50 was at no point ever, ever meant to be end game.

Interesting. I have never experienced this from an MMO. One example I can think of was WOW when I played it - you had to have the expansion to increase your level.

Sheeldon has no point. Neither do you.

The f2p crowd will come to play, and play to 50. Then they may try another class story.

You know sub numbers are down. You think they can give away content at this point? How do you expect the devs to be paid? The 15/month the <1 million subs that are paying will cover some basic server maintenance, but it's not going to cover new dev.

You are aware that using current day technology it costs pennies to run the servers right? MMO's can operate with less than 20,000 subscribers and be able to keep the servers running....

Crazy how other games like EQ2, EQ1, LOTRO, DDO, Rift and the multiple other western MMO's all seem to function fine with subs between 100-400k and still put out more free content + full fledged expansion packs than Bioware can...

Im curious to see how they play this out. I cant imagine that the extra 5 levels would be exclusive to subscribers. It just automatically puts F2P players out of the competition. Maybe they will, in a profit making venture, sell an unlock for each level over 50. And if any marketing folks at BW are reading this and use that idea, I want my cut.

Which MMO lets you gain expansion levels without buying the expansion. I have played nearly all major western MMO's in the last 12 years and I cannot recall many, or any, that gave you the lvl up for free? So please, enlighten me.

Which MMO lets you gain expansion levels without buying the expansion. I have played nearly all major western MMO's in the last 12 years and I cannot recall many, or any, that gave you the lvl up for free? So please, enlighten me.

They're not GIVING us a level up. They're using the level up as a paywall to prevent you from accessing content if you don't pay them more money (in addition to your subscription).

Other MMO's feature the content that you're paying for. The level up isn't a good thing for players. It's a way for the developers to force you to pay them, and abandon developing the game at the previous level cap.

They're not GIVING us a level up. They're using the level up as a paywall to prevent you from accessing content if you don't pay them more money (in addition to your subscription).

Other MMO's feature the content that you're paying for. The level up isn't a good thing for players. It's a way for the developers to force you to pay them, and abandon developing the game at the previous level cap.

Congratulations on not understanding the conversation that's going on. I am well aware of what level increases do and don't do - this has no bearing in what we were talking about though.

It's not an "expansion" in the context most people think of expansions in MMORPGs - Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Burning Crusade, Mines of Moria, etc.

It is ONE planet no bigger than Belsavis - it is an adventure pack, and I'm very wary of a 5 level raise with an adventure pack. :eek:

Edited by Goretzu

Have there been any that make you have a 5 level rise with an adventure pack?

One planet no bigger than Belsavis is not Ruins of Kunark/Burning Crusade etc. :confused:

Is this your first MMO?

Even if it was his first MMO how would that in any way impact his analysis? I'm afraid that your one little sentence is in fact a confluence of so many logical fallacies it's making my head spin. Argument from Authority (if he had played every MMO ever some how it would make his analysis more valid) ad hominem (attacking his character) non sequitur (simply playing numerous MMOs does not give one an insight into the financial decisions of a player base nor does it allow one to shift the trends of a game's financial "miss.")

I've been playing "mmos" since they were known as MUDs way back in the halcyon days of the early 80's. I've likely logged more time gaming than you have in your entire k-12 education. So in your estimation that makes me more expert than god himself.

Now, I'll take my authority and second the OP's sentiment. RotHC is a make or break point for this game. The same was said of 1.2, and after it's abysmal failure the game went f2p. Now with one foot in the grave, freemium mode means they're super bloodied, they fail this saving throw, I'm afraid the game goes on life support.

Edited by Durasturan