Am i the only one who has no problem paying for the expansion?

Anosa

Sure! This looks like a huge content patch. Almost like a mini-expansion... I haven't played an mmo where this amount of content was given away for free before, so I'm not bothered by that.

Nah, they have my cash.

DCUO gives this kind of content away free (at least to subs). STO has done the same. City of Heros did this as well. I could go on.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCUO gives this kind of content away free (at least to subs). STO has done the same. City of Heros did this as well. I could go on.

DCUO only does this kind of content. Meaning that every patch they charge non subs for. BTW did they raise their level cap? I honestly don't know I haven't played that game since the Sony hack and they shut it down for almost 2 months

CoX... well they didn't do that right away. You had to buy City of Villians first. Of course years later they gave the entire game away for free... minus the subscriptions. Of course CoH isn't around anymore. So for the first level cap increae you had to buy.

STO I know absolutely nothing about this game so i will take your word on it. The only thing i could find is that they upped the level cap to 51. Not sure if you had to pay for it or what.

But please go on. I'm willing to bet more games charge for it then those who haven't. The industry standard seems to be charging for it.

edit: oh I see you were talking about the content in general and not level cap incrases. Hmm well my response still stands.

Edited by sstanks

DCUO only does this kind of content. Meaning that every patch they charge non subs for. BTW did they raise their level cap? I honestly don't know I haven't played that game since the Sony hack and they shut it down for almost 2 months

CoX... well they didn't do that right away. You had to buy City of Villians first. Of course years later they gave the entire game away for free... minus the subscriptions. Of course CoH isn't around anymore. So for the first level cap increae you had to buy.

STO I know absolutely nothing about this game so i will take your word on it. The only thing i could find is that they upped the level cap to 51. Not sure if you had to pay for it or what.

But please go on. I'm willing to bet more games charge for it then those who haven't. The industry standard seems to be charging for it.

edit: oh I see you were talking about the content in general and not level cap incrases. Hmm well my response still stands.

They should charge non-subs for content like that. That's the point. That's how you make money in an f2p model. No one would complain if they were charging non-subs for this but giving it to subs free. It actually gives people an incentive to sub.

As for City of Heroes, the first content release they put out raised the cap from 40 to 50. It was free.

The STO update was free to subs.

You don't charge your subs for simple content releases. You can charge non-subs all you want. That's what you're supposed to do in a Freemium model. You don't charge subs as well.

They should charge non-subs for content like that. That's the point. That's how you make money in an f2p model. No one would complain if they were charging non-subs for this but giving it to subs free. It actually gives people an incentive to sub.

As for City of Heroes, the first content release they put out raised the cap from 40 to 50. It was free.

The STO update was free to subs.

You don't charge your subs for simple content releases. You can charge non-subs all you want. That's what you're supposed to do in a Freemium model. You don't charge subs as well.

but that's just it we don't know if this is a simple content update. Can we at least wait until they actually tell us what is in the update?

But CoH first update was just stuff that was supposed to be in launch that wasn't ready. In beta (which i was in for CoH) the level cap went to 50. it was then changed for launch because the level 50 zones were not ready. So do you count that? Since then they did 2 paid expansions City of Villians and Going Rogue.

again STO i really can't say anything about that game.

However we look at the really succesful Freimum models like LotrO and they do charge for level cap increases. EQ2 also charaged for small updates they called "Adventure Packs" which didn't even have a level cap increase.

but that's just it we don't know if this is a simple content update. Can we at least wait until they actually tell us what is in the update?

But CoH first update was just stuff that was supposed to be in launch that wasn't ready. In beta (which i was in for CoH) the level cap went to 50. it was then changed for launch because the level 50 zones were not ready. So do you count that? Since then they did 2 paid expansions City of Villians and Going Rogue.

again STO i really can't say anything about that game.

However we look at the really succesful Freimum models like LotrO and they do charge for level cap increases. EQ2 also charaged for small updates they called "Adventure Packs" which didn't even have a level cap increase.

Subscribers in EQ2 get the Adventure packs as part of their subscription. The same with DCUO and it's DLC's.

The unfortunate thing is that the people that are preordering this content patch are actually doing more harm than good to this game.

Do you think this money is going to support the game? That it's being put towards developing the game? Have we seen ANY content released in the past six months that had not already been developed by the team before they mostly got laid off?

Fact: Makeb is done and has been for some time. They announced it so that players could see that they were 'working' on content. Now that their current model of gouging F2P members isn't working, they've decided to begin gouging subscribers to see if they can get away with it.

When you preorder this content patch, you're telling EA that it's okay for them to do this. I guarantee you that we've seen the last of free content updates.

But hey, it's all good, right? I mean, it's only the price of a six-pack and some smokes. :rolleyes:

Subscribers in EQ2 get the Adventure packs as part of their subscription. The same with DCUO and it's DLC's.

umm no they didn't. The adventure packs came out around the first or second expansion. You had to pay for those. This was long before F2P.

umm no they didn't. The adventure packs came out around the first or second expansion. You had to pay for those. This was long before F2P.

They did that to get people to get station pass which was $19.99 a month and did give you them for free.

Now the do not charge for them if you have a sub.

I already payed. And if i had to guess what money goes were, then here is my guess.

Sub money goes to keeping the game running, and paying employes.

The Cent market, and Expansions I would guess goes to future game disighins and what ever other profit.

This is all just a guess. It might be the other way around. Not sure. How ever the most cost I would say goes to recording the acters over every thing else only because acters wont do the job unless they get paid what they want saddly.

They did that to get people to get station pass which was $19.99 a month and did give you them for free.

oh so you had to PAY EXTRA to get it for free??? hmmm it wasn't included in the $14.99???

edit wrong thought Station pass was 29.99 a month when it first launched. It is only NOW 19.99 this year

edit 2: wait do you not know what the adventure packs are? They came out in the first 2 years of EQ2 they where dubbed as mini expansion packs ie no different then Makeb and EVERYONE had to pay for them. I think you are thinking of the current content updates.

Edited by sstanks

I like LotrO's model when it comes to expansions. You buy the expansion and you get access to everything in it no matter if you are free 2 play or a subscriber. I had no trouble paying the 40 bucks for Riders of Rohan. Well technically I used turbine points that I have been receiving as a subscriber, but that is my reward for being a faithful subscriber. Even if I didn't use the points, I would have picked it up even knowing that the instances and raids would not be out on release date. I have confidence in Turbine and so far they have delivered without fail. :rak_03:

I am disappointed that we will not be able to use our cartel coins to purchase the expansion. I also get the feeling that the F2P and Preferred who buy this will not get unlimited access to the Ops / Flashpoints / Warzones pertaining to the expansion or will be able to wear the top end gear. I may or may not buy it. It all depends on what I hear when it gets released.

Edited by Aliveandwell

yeah hold on the more i look into it, it seems sony didn't launch Station pass until some time in 2008. The Adventure Packs for EQ 2 came out in 2005. and they charged for them.

yeah hold on the more i look into it, it seems sony didn't launch Station pass until some time in 2008. The Adventure Packs for EQ 2 came out in 2005. and they charged for them.

http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?27438-SWG-added-to-SOE-all-station-pass

SWG was added to station pass in January of 2005

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6951

EQ 2 had 4 additional character slots added for having Station pass in December of 2004.

it existed before 2008

Edited by Dokar

http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?27438-SWG-added-to-SOE-all-station-pass

SWG was added to station pass in January of 2005

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6951

EQ 2 had 4 additional character slots added for having Station pass in December of 2004.

it existed before 2008

there you go but it says nothing about getting the Adventure packs for free. I know I had to pay money for them when I was subscribed.

and here we go

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=7172&p=92339&hilit=adventure+packs#p92339

$4.99 for the first adventure pack which only had 1 dungeon

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7168&p=92222&hilit=adventure+packs#p92222

Edited by sstanks

there you go but it says nothing about getting the Adventure packs for free. I know I had to pay money for them when I was subscribed.

and here we go

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=7172&p=92339&hilit=adventure+packs#p92339

$4.99 for the first adventure pack which only had 1 dungeon

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7168&p=92222&hilit=adventure+packs#p92222

http://internetgames.about.com/b/2005/01/18/sony-announces-adventure-packs-for-eq2.htm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.