The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

15 dollars for one set of armor?

Mcwall

The recently released sets, Valiant Jedi and Sith Raider look pretty decent( though the raider set has no cape like Malgus) but despite this, nearly 1500 Cartel Coins is ridiculous for these sets. That is around 12-15 dollars for a set of in game armor. What do you guys think of this price point?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to buy anything in the Cartel Market. I have not found anything that I feel like getting yet. The only thing I saw that I was thinking about using my Cartel Coins for was the Crystals but even they do not seem to appealing to me. Maybe I am just not vain enough to get any vanity items no matter how good they may seem. :D

Really though, the reason they put vanity items in there is to milk money from people. For us subscribers we really do not need it. It is already cheaper for us to play the game to its full potential than it is for the F2P players. But they know this so they try to appeal to us with these vanity items. That is why they set the prices they way they do.

Like Andyhipkiss said,

For vanity items any price is a fair price, only a section of the user base will buy them and that section would pay any price anyway.

If you don't want to spend real money just wait until they appear on the GTN.

For me to go for any vanity items, the items would have to be really cool and good and at a decent price. So far I have yet to see anything worth getting. Maybe one day they will offer something that appeals to me. :rolleyes:

I think all Armour should be unlocked for your account rather than just the one character. A bit like STO do with there ships in there store. Then at least the price tag does not feel to bad as you can use it for alts etc. I have bought most of the shops in STO for this reason but will not buy armour for just one character. As it is adaptive you can use on any class so worth investing in if was account wide unlock.

People have spent US$25 on vanity mounts and pets in WoW for the longest time.

However, for the first time ever, I am actually *tempted* to buy the cosmetic armor. But only tempted.

This isn't WoW. :csw_yoda:

SWTORs Cashshop is expensive (even ignoring the $18.00 Santa Mount), WARs cashshop was much cheaper under Bioware EA, so I don't understand why they are going so high with SWTOR.

Remember these items have effectively $0.00 production cost, so almost everything is pure profit.

It's no more different than paying $25 for a mount in wow. I don't like it, but that is about what items will cost in the cash shop of most mmorpgs.

5$ for a vanity armor in STO, and it's account based. I can't remember for LOTRO, but I quite remember being around 5-10$. Account bound.

But yeah, it's about the same.

We asked for this armor for more than a year. And when it's finally added to the game, you haev to pay 15$. Nothing else to say.

Edited by erei

5$ for a vanity armor in STO, and it's account based. I can't remember for LOTRO, but I quite remember being around 5-10$. Account bound.

But yeah, it's about the same.

We asked for this armor for more than a year. And when it's finally added to the game, you haev to pay 15$. Nothing else to say.

This is where SWTOR is exceedingly expensive.

Not only are the item expensive in the first place (even if they were account-wide), but they are almost all per character.

It is a bonkers pricing stratergy and sustainability-wise I can't even seeing the most Moby-Dick of "whales" contiuning to fork out month after month.

The recently released sets, Valiant Jedi and Sith Raider look pretty decent( though the raider set has no cape like Malgus) but despite this, nearly 1500 Cartel Coins is ridiculous for these sets. That is around 12-15 dollars for a set of in game armor. What do you guys think of this price point?

Still cheaper than the 25$ sparkly pony or a ~60$ monocle. Maybe try the 50$ wooden horse turbine recently tried to pull off.

These sort of prices are set based on what people are willing to pay, it's all just going by experimentation. And well yeh, when looking at the first weeks of f2p, there have been quite some expensive sets purchased. Myself, I used my cartel coins to get a pathfinder set for example. This stimulates EA/BioWare to keep putting up more of those items for those prices, as apparently there is incentive for players to purchase it.

Once nobody buys it, new sets will come at lower prices soon enough. It all just depends on what the community does. Oh, and complaining about it on forums of course is going to do nothing if en mass people still buy it anyway ;). It's their profit which matters here.

The problem isn't that it's expensive, the problem is that people are buying the stuff for these prices.

Since there obviously is demand, EA/BW are free to set the price to whatever they want, adjusting it upwards rather than down.

Just look at the new jedi and sith sets, both are a bit more pricey than the other armor sets that were already there.

Between those prices and the fact the best looking items are in the grab bags I'm glad that I'm able to purchase

the items on the GTN for credits.

Of course, in the end that's pretty much just a veiled way to sell credits for cash in the cartel shop.

(Man, I hate these grab bags. Every f2p mmo is doing those in some form or another. godsdamnit!)

(Man, I hate these grab bags. Every f2p mmo is doing those in some form or another. godsdamnit!)

It is what allows major publishers to keep producing new, risky titles with high budgets. So, as a gamer, I personally do not hate it. The problem is however that there are far too many people who regard these purchases as mandatory or alike, whilst in reality it's an optional investment into the publisher.

Those boxes for a chance at armor ect is expensive also.

They might have to up the age restriction with all the real money gambling going on with it tho.

Yeah that's is a whole other can of worms though.

Basically the gambling boxes allow them to "sell" a mount (for example) at a $300 average price without anyone realising it.

But either way the direct prices on the Cashshop are too high.

They are vanity items! Vanity items are expensive. Gold watch? expensive! Diamong earrings? expensive! They are intended for the people that can afford it. If you need to consider the price when purchasing them then maybe you shouldn't be buying them to start with.

They are vanity items! Vanity items are expensive. Gold watch? expensive! Diamong earrings? expensive! They are intended for the people that can afford it. If you need to consider the price when purchasing them then maybe you shouldn't be buying them to start with.

Gold watches and diamond earrings are expensive because of production costs and the rarity of their raw materials (relatively).

There are NO production costs in virtual items (effectively) and NO raw materials (rare or common), the cost of producting such items is effectively $0.00 and as such it is 100% mark-up and 100% profit.

It's like comparing apples and thin air. :)

Edited by Goretzu

I definitely agree on that the armor sets are ridiculously expensive, which is why I haven't purchased any.

On the other hand, I've spent the last week or so selling crafting materials (and augmentation kits) so I can pick up Cartel items from the GTN. So far I have a complete Life Day gear set, two sets of Elegant Loungewear, basically the entire new tier of spaceship parts, and various other goodies.

I'm happy with this. :)

Gold watches and diamond earrings are expensive because of production costs and the rarity of their raw materials (relatively).

There are NO production costs in virtual items (effectively) and NO raw materials (rare or common), the cost of producting such items is effectively $0.00 and as such it is 100% mark-up and 100% profit.

It's like comparing apples and thin air. :)

That's not exactly correct. These sets have a cost. It's the design/art team's time in creating and ensuring that the armor works with all the character skeletons. After that work is done, each marginal unit has a near zero cost in production. Substantially less than a penny, but it's not zero. And all revenue goes back into the general fund used to pay overhead and production costs for the game.

You'll appreciate this analogy. These goods are very much like drugs. The majority of the cost comes upfront in design and marketing. The actual materials/production/distribution might only cost a penny or less. But once they have their patent, the drug companies think nothing of charging $10-15 a pill.

So when folks were taunting how this game costs $200+ to create. Well.... The EA boss's Maserati isn't going to buy itself. :jawa_biggrin:

Edited by Master-Nala

I wouldn't mind it so much if the stuff actually looked nice or if we could change the colors of it. They seem to be obsessed with adding spikes and extraneous ugly stuff to the armor and then closing their eyes and randomly picking colors for it.

It think it's a sad state of affairs when some random NPC has a nicer looking uniform than we can ever get. Hey, Mr./Ms. NPC, I just saved your planet from utter destruction... could you spare a uniform as payment?