Why is BW charging subscribers for additional GTN slots?

smexymage

I haven't played much since FTP hit but I was on GTN and noticed a message stating I can purchase additional slots via the CM. I feel this is really unfair. Despite the fact subs get coins, BW shouldn't be controlling this feature via the CM.

Subs should be able to purchase things like this similar to how they purchase additional cargo bays or bag slots.

I can understand why you find it ridiculous that we have to bye no slots for posting things on the GTN through the cartel market but I mean whats the max 50 slots? How many do you need? I mean shoot I think the most I have used at any given time 10 or 15 and Usually I do not even need that many. But then again I don't usually go and blow all my credits on things >.<

I haven't played much since FTP hit but I was on GTN and noticed a message stating I can purchase additional slots via the CM. I feel this is really unfair. Despite the fact subs get coins, BW shouldn't be controlling this feature via the CM.

Subs should be able to purchase things like this similar to how they purchase additional cargo bays or bag slots.

I don't get this complaint. It's not like they changed the number of slots. You still have you original 50 slots. They just gave you an option to get more if you desire. F2p still has only 5. Plus you can buy more slots on the GTN for 50k on my server.

I don't get this complaint. It's not like they changed the number of slots. You still have you original 50 slots. They just gave you an option to get more if you desire. F2p still has only 5. Plus you can buy more slots on the GTN for 50k on my server.

People don't realize that the cap was 50 prior to the expanded option being available.

Oh i agree with that, but its just that the silly restrictions on F2P (even for preferred ones) is too much for me to take... so i took some of my saved up cash and paid for a 7 month subscription...

That's their whole plan. SWTOR has the most obstructive F2P model on the market (excluding LOTRO).

People don't realize that the cap was 50 prior to the expanded option being available.

Oh I know the cap was 50, I have been playing since Beta. I'm not complaining about there being a cap at 50, even though I have hit that cap several times in the past, and I think they should increase it but that's another argument.

The main issue I have is that BW are only offering to expand via the CM which is going to mean someone somewhere who is paying a subscription will fork out real money for CC to buy extra slots which becomes an issue. If they are a paying subscriber then they should be able to gain those extra slots by in-game currency like we can already do with the Inventory and Cargo Holds. It's not so much that you might not need the extra slots, it's more to do with the fact that BW should not even be considering this for subscribers. F2P fair enough but not for people who are already paying the monthly fee. Extra slots are not fluff, they may really be needed by people.

Sorry to use the WoW example but it uses older technology and doesn't seem to have a cap on the Auction House and if it does, it's big enough to fit a ton of stuff in.

Edited by smexymage
corrected typos

Oh I know the cap was 50, I have been playing since Beta. I'm not complaining about there being a cap at 50, even though I have hit that cap several times in the past, and I think they should increase it but that's another argument.

The main issue I have is that BW are only offering to expand via the CM which is going to mean someone somewhere who is paying a subscription will fork out real money for CC to buy extra slots which becomes an issue. If they are a paying subscriber then they should be able to gain those extra slots by in-game currency like we can already do with the Inventory and Cargo Holds. It's not so much that you might not need the extra slots, it's more to do with the fact that BW should not even be considering this for subscribers. F2P fair enough but not for people who are already paying the monthly fee. Extra slots are not fluff, they may really be needed by people.

Sorry to use the WoW example but it uses older technology and doesn't seem to have a cap on the Auction House and if it does, it's big enough to fit a ton of stuff in.

Believe me, I am as big a EA/BW hater as anyone, but I think you're misguided in this instance. The devs deemed that 50 slots was optimally stable for each player during development. They saw that people wanted more, so they offered it as an extra because they knew not everyone would cough up the extra money for it. This way, the people who really want it get it, but not enough people utilize it to create stability issues.

Additionally, what do you think the monthly allotted CCs for subscribers are meant for? Extras like this.

Believe me, I am as big a EA/BW hater as anyone, but I think you're misguided in this instance. The devs deemed that 50 slots was optimally stable for each player during development. They saw that people wanted more, so they offered it as an extra because they knew not everyone would cough up the extra money for it. This way, the people who really want it get it, but not enough people utilize it to create stability issues.

Additionally, what do you think the monthly allotted CCs for subscribers are meant for? Extras like this.

I'm not a BW/EA hater. I just disagree with some things, this being one of them. I still argue that things like extra GTN slots shouldn't be linked to CM. If they wanted to truly give players a way to increase then they could easily have allowed them to purchase with in-game currency, this is just a money grab.

WoW can do it

Edited by smexymage

If i get it right you want to be able to get more GTN-slots EITHER via cartel-coins or credits, like it works for inventory-slots or storage-holds?

Guess what? It already works like that!

Just buy the "more GTN-slots" stuff from the GTN and you won't spent a single cartel-coin. More then enough people sell those things for good prices.

If i get it right you want to be able to get more GTN-slots EITHER via cartel-coins or credits, like it works for inventory-slots or storage-holds?

Guess what? It already works like that!

Just buy the "more GTN-slots" stuff from the GTN and you won't spent a single cartel-coin. More then enough people sell those things for good prices.

I'm pretty sure this was the intended result of allowing Cartel Market perks to be traded (sorry, don't have a source for this).

On Jedi Cov, you could probably buy the +10 Sales Slots unlock in fleet chat for 200k or less. The unlocks don't even have the 36hr bind period, you can just trade for it from any passing guy with 125 CCs to blow.

The item pickup system is cumbersome when you aren't trading unlocks, but it makes your complaint totally irrelevant.

I'm not a BW/EA hater. I just disagree with some things, this being one of them. I still argue that things like extra GTN slots shouldn't be linked to CM. If they wanted to truly give players a way to increase then they could easily have allowed them to purchase with in-game currency, this is just a money grab.

WoW can do it

They available for in game currency. It's called the GTN. On shadowlands they are going for less then 100k. If your on that server I'll buy you if that makes you feel better. Infact everything Ive wanted off the cm was on the GTN for a reasonable price.

Oh wow, with the risk of being banned or worse, im going to say this anyway. (especially since i couldnt actually reply to their private message).

I actually got an infraction warning because i linked to a video of "For the love of money" as a reply to this question.

Are they (EA/Bioware) seriously trying to say that money ISNT the reason they chose to charge subscribers for additional GTN slots?

Ive never had any complaints about the moderation on these forums but this is silly... I gave a light-hearted response that was in no stretch of the imagination wrong...

There is only one reason to charge subscribers real money for additional GTN slots, and that reason is to make money... but apparantly its worthy of a warning to actually say it.

EDIT: the actual "reason" give was that i wasnt contributing to the discussion... but i would say that answering that it was money (albeit with a humorous twist) is contributing to the discussion.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I can understand why you find it ridiculous that we have to bye no slots for posting things on the GTN through the cartel market but I mean whats the max 50 slots? How many do you need? I mean shoot I think the most I have used at any given time 10 or 15 and Usually I do not even need that many. But then again I don't usually go and blow all my credits on things >.<

The 50 slots is per character, with 12 characters available you have 600 GTN slots available to you without any additional purchase.

The GTN slot upgrade from the cartel market truly isn't a necessity, it's a mere luxury feature. Unless you actually fill up over 600 slots on the GTN, which I doubt anybody in their sane mind reaches on a consistent basis :p.

Oh wow, with the risk of being banned or worse, im going to say this anyway. (especially since i couldnt actually reply to their private message).

I'll first say, you're absolutely right, they do it for money.

Second, I'll defend the mods a bit. Your link-only post was worthless. I totally skipped over it, because I would skip over any post in any thread which was only an off-site link. It's way more likely to be spam or a rickroll than something useful. Caption your video links and you probably won't get another warning.

The 50 slots is per character, with 12 characters available you have 600 GTN slots available to you without any additional purchase.

The GTN slot upgrade from the cartel market truly isn't a necessity, it's a mere luxury feature. Unless you actually fill up over 600 slots on the GTN, which I doubt anybody in their sane mind reaches on a consistent basis :p.

Well this only really helps if I have 12 character slots filled and I certainly am not going to do that just for the sake of the GTN, also consider all the time I would have to spend, mailing stuff between alts - not a good way to manage things.

Besides, I never hit that issue in WoW. I can't understand how they can justify it when other games offer more without having to pay extra.

Edited by smexymage
typo

Why the heck would you, as a subscriber, require over 60 gtn slots....?

You are missing the point but just for arguments sake, I have hit the 50 cap limit several times in the past. BW should not be funneling core game feature like GTN through the Cartel Market.