Vigilance Buffs

PowerReaper

I saw the datamined changes that were posted on Darthhater.com.

1. Even though we are getting a talent that boosts our damage by 10%, which seems like a lot and at first glance a much needed change, but when you really think about it, its like Bioware has said "Umm....yeah....you're really under performing compared to other classes, so here's a damage boost so we don't have to get creative." Since our damage needed this boost, shouldn't it have been implemented a long time ago to replace something useless in our tree (looking at you gathering strength)?

2. Reducing the cooldown on force leap, combat focus, and saber throw are a step in the right direction. Wierdly we have to drop combat to get them to reset, idk if this will be good or bad, so I will reserve judgement, but the voice in the back of my head is saying shouldn't this be a cooldown reduction all the time? Wouldn't a reduction in minimum range of force leap served us so much better?

3. We're getting more damage on burns, which is good, and proc on the burns along with master strike to let us dispatch at a target with any health level. Awesome direction if nothing else changed since it would make our burst be applicable over the whole fight----but wait, they took dispatch from blade rush effectively taking away our best burst skill. Furthermore the crit on blade rush is down 40% so your blade storm crits will suffer too.

If you pve in vigilence the horizon is opening for you because you got buffed. If you pvp you've just been nerfed.

BIOWARE: to pvp in vigilence we want our burst and we want to leap more. Is it so hard to give us what we want?

PS> They didn't change the burn time on plasma brand either

Edited by SebastianII

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the datamined changes that were posted on Darthhater.com.

If you pve in vigilence the horizon is opening for you because you got buffed. If you pvp you've just been nerfed.

BIOWARE: to pvp in vigilence we want our burst and we want to leap more. Is it so hard to give us what we want?

PS> They didn't change the burn time on plasma brand either

if you want to pvp play focus - they already fixed that so we got a pvp spec. this change marks vigilance as more clearly PvE which it is anyway.

regarding leap. thats a sentinal skill. we dont want it. i saw a long thread the other day with sentinals wanting a push back. if your a sentinal and want push back level a guardian. If your a guardina and want a zero distance leap levle a sentinal. I play a sentinal and its not to great - leap is in my rotation right before overload saber and the focs gen - cost is the same. so zero leap basically makes leap a focus generator - which is ok but its never free to use for travel in a PvE environment... We dont want burst either that focus - we want damage over time for PvE raiding

If they do whats in those patch notes its basically keeping the vigilance flavour but making the dps more compeditive - maybe they want vigilance to be the top dps over watchman while bringing about the same utility as present - that would be cool. the play style already rocks and its hard enough to play that you got to work at it to put out top dps - and it does not look like that will change - its slighly more like combat sentinal is style - but im ok with that.

Edited by Mattmonkey

Yeah for PvE the changes look very nice.

That said I do find Preperation to be an absolute waste of space. It wouldn't even be useful in dailies and in terms of raiding its completely worthless. If its the new level 50+ talents I think most people are going to completely ignore it and take Swift Slash in the Focus Tree to improve their crit chance on Dispatch, assuming of course its still around in its current form.

if you want to pvp play focus - they already fixed that so we got a pvp spec. this change marks vigilance as more clearly PvE which it is anyway.

regarding leap. thats a sentinal skill. we dont want it. i saw a long thread the other day with sentinals wanting a push back. if your a sentinal and want push back level a guardian. If your a guardina and want a zero distance leap levle a sentinal. I play a sentinal and its not to great - leap is in my rotation right before overload saber and the focs gen - cost is the same. so zero leap basically makes leap a focus generator - which is ok but its never free to use for travel in a PvE environment... We dont want burst either that focus - we want damage over time for PvE raiding

If they do whats in those patch notes its basically keeping the vigilance flavour but making the dps more compeditive - maybe they want vigilance to be the top dps over watchman while bringing about the same utility as present - that would be cool. the play style already rocks and its hard enough to play that you got to work at it to put out top dps - and it does not look like that will change - its slighly more like combat sentinal is style - but im ok with that.

Sir, I shouldn't have to play focus because you want vigilence to be a pve spec only. Hasn't this been the point of this thread since its inception? Many other classes have all 3 trees as pve and pvp viable. Stop being closed minded, hang up the L33t attitude and be part of the solution.

Edited by SebastianII

Despite these "buffs" we are still going to be behind. We still lack the utility that sentinels bring a raid. The new skill is a copy and paste from combat (and if a read it correctly will go off more for them than for vigilence). Focus, despite the initial nerf to smash's damage, everything else is a buff including a new burst skill, more singel target damage, a defensive talent, their force leap will have a new snare, they get another slow, and an immunity to slow. Defense gets a damage buff to their attacks that they always claimed didn't hit hard enough, get to move faster when guarding a player, and get a way better talent to reduce the cooldown on force leap.

A flat "10%" damage buff isn't thinking out of the box. Its a quick fix while our counterparts get better stuff. Furthermore they are nerfing our ability to burn someone down, that means you can't kill a tank before he gets help

and that means a healer will burst heal their way through your damage.

What isn't going to change at all: People telling you if you are a guardian, you should be a tank only class. When you say you want to dps, they will tell you (like a poster above here despite being a vigilence guardian himself) to go play focus. These buffs aren't going to change our swtor experience.