Public Service Message

Staalker

You can read. You had to read to sign up for the game.

I realize not everyone played beta. Many didn't touch the game before they got Early Access.

I realize that not everyone speaks English natively.

I also realize that nearly everyone is too lazy to try anything on their own. Which, by the way, is the majority of the reason to play a new game. To discover things on your own. Don't see the point in knowing everything there is to know about the game before you play it.

With all that being said as a foreword, let me give you a public service message that can help you on your adventures in SWtoR.

90% of everything you need to know about your class, game rules/systems and even the reason things are as they are can be found in the game's codex, or simply by reading the various windows and icons.

A little light reading can teach you so much about things you are coming here and complaining about.

You see, I don't mind people complaining. It's what makes things better overall by having people who give feedback, even when it's negative. However, it's stupid to come here and complain about things that you obviously don't know about.

For example, there is a Looking for Group button. It's in the WHO tab of the SOCIAL menu.

Crew Skills are all explained in the codex, down to the point of which skills work together nicely.

Even what your companions need for stats and what they like and dislike is there.

The Codex is your friend.

If I had a credit for every time I saw questions, or complaints about "missing" features that are all explained in the codex...I'd own the galaxy by now.

I don't mind answering a question. I don't mind helping anyone out when I can. But most of you don't even try to explore a little on your own.

All the dialog in this game is spoken. This is your mission briefing and such being spoken too. As such, the largest chunk of what would be the game's text is spoken to you. Therefore, I find no excuse that you can't read a little of the Codex and try to learn some things on your own.

At the very least, don't whine about something missing from the game just because YOU didn't take the time to learn about it.

I had to actually shake my head today, which spurred my mind to write this. A couple of players were actually mad to the point of filling chat with vulgar language just because they didn't have the lightsaber they wanted.

One was furious because he was told the Counselor got the saberstaff.

When asked if he read the class descriptions, did he go over the info given to him before picking Sage to know that only the Shadow got the saberstaff?

No.

Why should he have to read the description?

That was his answer.

Do us all a favor, people, especially yourself. Read. Read before you type some stupid complaint based on ignorance. The only one you should be mad at is yourself when you don't know that you can repair your gear at a vendor....like four people today argued wasn't true. Tabs? What tabs?

Wish I was making that up.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

My Codex is empty till I find an in-game object or an NPC with a topic that the Codex contains, at which point it becomes available to me .. how do you know what's there until you, know what's there?

Take crafting, you have to trudge around all the crafting trainers to pick up the Codex entry so you can learn about it, NOT a good way to learn IMO.

It's a great in-game help but unless I'm missing something it's useless as a pre-knowledge 'knowledge base'.

Edited by KerinKor

When asked if he read the class descriptions, did he go over the info given to him before picking Sage to know that only the Shadow got the saberstaff?

Is the Double-bladed Lightsaber also known as a saberstaff? The only mention I saw of a saberstaff was in some out-of-game descriptions of the Companions, and I was picturing something like a spear or naginata for some reason.

Also, I think some people just don't know where to find the Codex. I've had to direct a few people there.

The OP is completely correct!! I am getting tired of people asking for things that are already in the game.. People need to not be so darn lazy to look at their preferences options and see what is or isn't there.. Or read the codex or the help system..

People really need to learn to read..

:csw_yoda: award for the OP!! Great post!!

I believe you're trying to make a valid point; unfortunately you come across sounding extremely snotty as you're making that point.

The example of people incredulous about actually reading the codex or anything else aside -- which is incredibly lazy, haven't seen anything like that yet myself -- you could've just said something like, "Please read more carefully before you ask questions or criticize the game, because your carelessness can take someone's time away from their own game as they try to help you."

As angry as you post is, it can sound as if you're trashing people for not knowing the game as well as you or someone who knows his way around an MMO. Also a possibility this game is attracting a whole ton of people new to the MMO community, so there's going to be a lot of questions.

You can read. You had to read to sign up for the game.

I realize not everyone played beta. Many didn't touch the game before they got Early Access.

I realize that not everyone speaks English natively.

I also realize that nearly everyone is too lazy to try anything on their own. Which, by the way, is the majority of the reason to play a new game. To discover things on your own. Don't see the point in knowing everything there is to know about the game before you play it.

With all that being said as a foreword, let me give you a public service message that can help you on your adventures in SWtoR.

90% of everything you need to know about your class, game rules/systems and even the reason things are as they are can be found in the game's codex, or simply by reading the various windows and icons.

A little light reading can teach you so much about things you are coming here and complaining about.

You see, I don't mind people complaining. It's what makes things better overall by having people who give feedback, even when it's negative. However, it's stupid to come here and complain about things that you obviously don't know about.

For example, there is a Looking for Group button. It's in the WHO tab of the SOCIAL menu.

Crew Skills are all explained in the codex, down to the point of which skills work together nicely.

Even what your companions need for stats and what they like and dislike is there.

The Codex is your friend.

If I had a credit for every time I saw questions, or complaints about "missing" features that are all explained in the codex...I'd own the galaxy by now.

I don't mind answering a question. I don't mind helping anyone out when I can. But most of you don't even try to explore a little on your own.

All the dialog in this game is spoken. This is your mission briefing and such being spoken too. As such, the largest chunk of what would be the game's text is spoken to you. Therefore, I find no excuse that you can't read a little of the Codex and try to learn some things on your own.

At the very least, don't whine about something missing from the game just because YOU didn't take the time to learn about it.

I had to actually shake my head today, which spurred my mind to write this. A couple of players were actually mad to the point of filling chat with vulgar language just because they didn't have the lightsaber they wanted.

One was furious because he was told the Counselor got the saberstaff.

No.

Why should he have to read the description?

That was his answer.

Do us all a favor, people, especially yourself. Read. Read before you type some stupid complaint based on ignorance. The only one you should be mad at is yourself when you don't know that you can repair your gear at a vendor....like four people today argued wasn't true. Tabs? What tabs?

Wish I was making that up.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

Read my thread I made a couple of minutes ago, the first replier was a guy who said Sages get double bladed lightsabers.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=539895#post539895

I really don't know where I'm going with this but I just found this coincidence hilarious :D

Edited by JorrdKarrd

Is the Double-bladed Lightsaber also known as a saberstaff? The only mention I saw of a saberstaff was in some out-of-game descriptions of the Companions, and I was picturing something like a spear or naginata for some reason.

Also, I think some people just don't know where to find the Codex. I've had to direct a few people there.

I've had to do the same :) and +1 to OP. Also is that easy mark LFG write message go questing sooner or later you will find someone to do a quest or flashpoint. If only 2/1000 people will do that no wonder there are complains. This and chat and you don't need any other tool to find a group.

Definitely agree. Don't understand why people are asking where things are in general when the map mission tool is so good???

One thing I will say though, I had to google what certain stats (power, alacrity, etc) do despite looking n the codex and mousing over things in my character screen. If it is there, I missed of being staring right at it at some point.