Looking for feedback on a CPU build

ChickFurious

Hello! I know this isn't good enough to run flawlessly on high settings on a HD monitor; I'm just hoping I can run smoothly at medium settings at 1280 x 1024 resolution. I've gathered up some parts for a system that is less than $550.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+

Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB

Case: MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V

Operating System: Windows 7

Does anyone see any potential issues for my goal? Thank you for your time and feedback!

AMDs aren't nearly as good as Intels.

price for price phenoms still kick serious tuosh, for what games need to run incredibly well the 955 -1100t blacks are worth there weight in gold. Intels are overpriced and overpowered for what gamers use them for. for the price of a new top of the range intel cpu ( and thats just the cpu) i could go out and build a 1090t black based pc and see next to no difference whilst playing compared to the top end intel cpu with a system built around it that would run close to if not above 2.5k that it would cost to build the system around the intel to not bottleneck it.

And the guys build looks ok for running the game, although personally i would flip for a h100 and vengance ram with a gigabyte 990fx ud7 board.

Edited by Shingara

also, in that resolution, you will be able to run at max settings with shadows turned off.

SWEET!!! Even better than i was hoping :)

And the guys build looks ok for running the game.

Not a guy :) :) :) but thanks for the feedback on the processor...i don't know much and this is my first attempt at building

AMD's are nice they have the added feature of being able to overclock them since they dont lock them and they are cheaper most places then a Intel. But honestly look up the clocked speed and performance for the I7, they will beat out a AMD every time. The I5 still beats the 8 core AMD. in every aspect. The downside of a Intel is unless you buy it unlocked you cant over clock it so go for th 4.0 Ghz and you wont be unhappy.

As long as it runs at least high detail smoothly at your desired resolution then it's all good

will yours run fine? yes.

ignore the brand wars :D

we have almost the same specifications except the motherboard (i used msi) and -4gb of ram. I run max settings at 1440x900 Using a rather mid range processor, loading times might be a bit slow specially on nar shadaa/alderaan/hoth/voss, but it'll run smoothly don't worry.

Also, no need for coolers if you're not overclocking your processor. (i used the same cooler as you have in that spec but i only got that for free so *shrug*)

Edited by GARhenus

I wasnt arguing a brand war, Its what your getting for the money you spend. IF your going to pay upwards to $300 on a CPU, Id go wit a I7 gen 3 with a LGA 1155 Sockets quad core, Its going to run everything better then what MAD has out right now. Your set up woud be fin. But if i spent that kind of money id but what i stated befor. The gen3's are also unlocked so overclocking is as easy as going into bios.

And id suggest a cooler ether way. Overclocking or Not a good rule of thumb is you never want a GPU or a CPU, to go over 65 C. its a great safe zone and your processor will last just that much longer.

Edited by Bounty_

Hello! I know this isn't good enough to run flawlessly on high settings on a HD monitor; I'm just hoping I can run smoothly at medium settings at 1280 x 1024 resolution. I've gathered up some parts for a system that is less than $550.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core

What I actually have in mine, been quite happy so far, not a beastly powerhouse but $$ compared to a comparable Intel is massive

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+

Seems like a solid choice, but at the end of the day a good fan/heatsynch combo is a good fan/heatsynch combo

Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Might not hurt if opportunity presents to splurge on another 4 gig stick to enhance gamespeed by running some portions off a RAMdrive (see SWTOR unleashed thread for details

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Might be able to find a 1 TB for just $10-$20 more if you catch the right holiday deal, otherwise decent choice

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB

If you need to save a buck going a generation earlier here often knock $30 or more off for minimal performance loss, beyond that decent.

Case: MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Not bad, though might be worth shopping around depending on the price point, last holiday season got a case from tigerdirect (coolermaster atx mid tower) with the front/rear case fans, two side mounted fans that pull air directly off the cpu and GfX card, and fittings if I ever wanted to go liquid-cooled for $29.99 on clearance

Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V

Have had good luck with their memory so reckon I'd trust 'em in terms of power supply.

Operating System: Windows 7

Does anyone see any potential issues for my goal? Thank you for your time and feedback!

Seems like a solid setup overall, good bang for the buck of a very solid but not top of the line machine. Really once you start stepping up in performance tiers beyond this the price point starts jumping in a hurry. Just switching Nvidia/Intel of similar performance would probably jump you a good hundred bucks.