Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

ETA on SGRAs?

Dire-Wolf

Out of curiosity what happens if BW says that SGR are scrapped and won't be in the game for the foreseeable future or ever? How will you (those who want it in) react?

I will be very disappointed and sad, but then at least I'll be able to move on and play my characters romanceless. So far I'm not playing them because I'd hate to cap them and THEN get same sex implemented. But if I knew for sure same sex wasn't coming -- well, I'd hate it and be frustrated, but at least I could move on with the game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people asked nicely, yet no information was given, so more drastic measures were taken.

In the end, BioWare shot themselves in the foot.

Indeed, don't make promises you don't intend to keep, they could have saved themselves a whole lot of trouble.

Many people asked nicely, yet no information was given, so more drastic measures were taken.

In the end, BioWare shot themselves in the foot.

Actually, you bite the hand that feeds. I hope you get your wish and this game dies just to provide what you want. Your empty righteousness will be grand. Meanwhile - Blizzard is laughing all the way to the bank.

I will be very disappointed and sad, but then at least I'll be able to move on and play my characters romanceless. So far I'm not playing them because I'd hate to cap them and THEN get same sex implemented. But if I knew for sure same sex wasn't coming -- well, I'd hate it and be frustrated, but at least I could move on with the game.

Quoted for truth!

I don't know, I see a lot of threads with people buying legacy perks.

After the fact. Very VERY few were asking for Legacy before it was implemented. Far less than are asking for SGRA before its implementation. So if Legacy became a success after implementation despite low initial enthusiasm, maybe the same can happen to other things as well.

Last we were told it was "this year", so less then a month left right....

Actually, that was from the Guild Summit and just last week, in a Livestream Q&A, we were told that since so much has changed both within the studio and in the direction of the game, not everything promised at the Guild Summit is to be relied upon as still holding true, and that many things have been put on a back-burner.

Naturally, there was no indication whether SGRs are in this category or not, so we no longer have the "this year" promise. In fact, we have no information ever since launch. We have less information than we did eight months ago, in spite of having specifically asked, more than once, whether these changes had effected the time-table for or scope of this content.

We have in effect never been told anything. That's why we're asking.

Edited by Uluain

I tell you a devoted resource that does not create a return is, in fact, a poor business decision. However, you seem to think that this will create profit for Bioware. If it would - don't you think they would have done it already?

Who are you to say weather anything they release will create a return or not, unless you work for BW/EA then please do tell. They would make a killing on paid server transfers but they haven't released those either.

Who are you to say weather anything they release will create a return or not, unless you work for BW/EA then please do tell. They would make a killing on paid server transfers but they haven't released those either.

It's "whether." And I am not saying anything. You are the one who basically is taking the position that adding this content would be beneficial to all. I am telling you that if it's a wise business decision, they'll put it in. And I am not so sure of the actual desire for paid transfers. This isn't a successful game with a raiding community (see WoW for success).

It's "whether." And I am not saying anything. You are the one who basically is taking the position that adding this content would be beneficial to all. I am telling you that if it's a wise business decision, they'll put it in. And I am not so sure of the actual desire for paid transfers. This isn't a successful game with a raiding community (see WoW for success).

I didn't say it would be beneficial at all, I said it wouldn't bring about the end of SWTOR....there is a difference....you're the one taking everything to extremes, I'm simply arguing that the addition of any one piece of content, SGRA's included, won't destroy SWTOR....

Edited by gjpelrine

They should just remove companion romance from the game completely, IMO. It might put an end to the endless rude and perjorative forum wars that break out every single time someone lights up one of these SGRA demand threads.

/2-cents

The thread started out with a polite request, and polite responses... but of course after a few hours it's devloved into the typical knife fight between factions over silly virtual meta play in game.

Edited by Andryah

They should just remove companion romance from the game completely, IMO. It might put an end to the endless rude and perjorative forum wars that break out every single time someone lights up one of these SGRA demand threads.

/2-cents

Cure the disease by killing the patient?

That would work, but you would have and army of 12 year olds rioting to get their "fade to black" scenes back.

/2-cents

The thread started out with a polite request, and polite responses... but of course after a few hours it's devloved into the typical knife fight between factions over silly virtual meta play in game.

I agree totally. If one of the arguments of the LGBT community that there should be SGRA because straight romance is in, in the name of equality, then in the name of equality we should scrap all romances from the game.

Pretty sure the gay players in WoW are doing just fine without SGRAs, because they seem to enjoy the game despite the lack of SGRAs. Because there is MORE to an MMO than SGRAs, and the absence of it does not somehow mean that unhappiness is wished upon them.

And, this is a pretty good spin. Nice one. Watch as they try to spin my words out of context to make me look bad. I think the term privilege was finally thrown towards me too! Enjoy the show folks!

Yes WoW players are doing fine, but WoW is not an MMO centered around making your own story like SW:TOR, and when it comes to stories, the main characters romance is very important.

Pretty sure the gay players in WoW are doing just fine without SGRAs, because they seem to enjoy the game despite the lack of SGRAs.

Could that possibly be because there aren't any OGRs either?? As in, gays are treated the same as straights. There isn't the perception of "these guys are being catered to but we're at the back of the bus". This is about equal treatment. The gay players in WoW are in the same situation as the straight players. On the other hand, in SWTOR, the gay players are in a noticeably worse situation than the straight players. Not equal treatment. That's the difference.

Because there is MORE to an MMO than SGRAs, and the absence of it does not somehow mean that unhappiness is wished upon them.
If you *know* that something is important to someone, and you explicitly wish that they don't get it, then I think it's pretty unescapable that you're wishing for them to be unhappy.

You want meaning companionship and relationships? Go meet a real person, instead of pinning your hopes on some digital romance that MIGHT one day come in to fruition... if the programmers decide to go that way?
Dude, I don't think my spouse would like it if I did that. It *is* possible to enjoy romance stories even if you have romance in your real life, you know? There's a reason why girls make boys watch chick flicks with them.

Pretty sure the gay players in WoW are doing just fine without SGRAs, because they seem to enjoy the game despite the lack of SGRAs. Because there is MORE to an MMO than SGRAs, and the absence of it does not somehow mean that unhappiness is wished upon them.

And, this is a pretty good spin. Nice one. Watch as they try to spin my words out of context to make me look bad. I think the term privilege was finally thrown towards me too! Enjoy the show folks!

But WoW never promised gay content to their players, so of course its doing just fine. None of the SGRA's people would have an issue with SWTOR if they hadn't promised it in the first place...

Could that possibly be because there aren't any OGRs either?? As in, gays are treated the same as straights. There isn't the perception of "these guys are being catered to but we're at the back of the bus". This is about equal treatment. The gay players in WoW are in the same situation as the straight players. On the other hand, in SWTOR, the gay players are in a noticeably worse situation than the straight players. Not equal treatment. That's the difference.

No, it just means that SGRAs ARE NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! If gay players can play all sorts of games that may or may not have it, then it was never a big deal to begin with.

Did those gay players from WoW flock over to SW:TOR because of the possibility of SGRAs? No, they didn't. They're still there playing WoW. Because there are other things more important than gay romance.

Did they consider WoW unequal because WoW doesn't have plans to have gay characters, but SW:TOR hinted they might have SGRAs? No. They didn't. They're busy playing the game.

You do not speak on behalf of all gay people. Speak for yourself. Gays are not in a worse situation than straight players. It is just something you made up in order to generate some sympathy.

If you *know* that something is important to someone, and you explicitly wish that they don't get it, then I think it's pretty unescapable that you're wishing for them to be unhappy.

I wish SGRAs are not in the game. If you want to put it in, that means you are wishing for me to be unhappy too.

I think I actually lost brain cells typing the previous line. It doesn't not mean anything close to it at all. I really hope that you are just putting words in my mouth, because if you really do think what you just typed, I really don't know how you go through in real life.

On the other hand, in SWTOR, the gay players are in a noticeably worse situation than the straight players.

I think this might be the most ignorant thing I have seen written on these forums... so because you cant make out with Khem Val you somehow are worse off than everyone else who plays this game? Companion relationships as is now affect a whopping 0 percent of gameplay, its a cheesy sidenote that no one but little tweens who dont have real relationships care about.

I think this might be the most ignorant thing I have seen written on these forums... so because you cant make out with Khem Val you somehow are worse off than everyone else who plays this game? Companion relationships as is now affect a whopping 0 percent of gameplay, its a cheesy sidenote that no one but little tweens who dont have real relationships care about.

So because you can't see the merit in something that other people may take enjoyment out of, perhaps the RPG part of the MMORPG, it gives you the right to belittle people....

Companion relationships as is now affect a whopping 0 percent of gameplay
The numeric mechanics, maybe. But gameplay is far more than just the numbers. Choosing your dialogue options, getting immersed in the story, that's playing the game. The companion relationships have a fairly significant effect on how you feel your character is doing, what he or she is thinking. Sure, it may not have an effect on the numeric values of the game, but then again, "no one but little tweens who don't have real relationships care about" the numeric values.

(By the way, that last part is sarcasm, just in case somebody doesn't get it.)

its a cheesy sidenote that no one but little tweens who dont have real relationships care about.

Not one, not two, but THREE factual errors. I'm not little, I'm not tween, and I have a real relationship, yet I care. Try again.

Edited by Samy_Merchi

Companion relationships as is now affect a whopping 0 percent of gameplay, its a cheesy sidenote that no one but little tweens who dont have real relationships care about.

We both know that statement is not true, companion romances are a substantial part of this game, infact it's one of many things unique that seperates SW:TOR from other MMOs, and many people are interested in them.

We both know that statement is not true, companion romances are a substantial part of this game, infact it's one of many things unique that seperates SW:TOR from other MMOs, and many people are interested in them.

Substantial? Come on. No it's not. It's 10 mins of cutscenes that can't be replayed.

What is important to you, is not important to everyone and I don't know anyone that into the romances in game other than forum posters here which is a very small loud group

Edited by Xatasha