Before you select The Progenitor as your new home, remember it's a RP-PVE server

shava

I have seen a lot of new people rolling characters on The Progenitor with names and attitudes that have nothing to do with the environment of a roleplaying server.

Please remember that this is a RP-PVE server, and consider another server if this is not your preferred play style.

unfortunately welcome to the ilk that is F2P freeloaders. it wont be long before we see names like xxxxDartVaderRULZZzzzz

Anyways the F2P newbies wont be reading to this forum to begin with :(

As much as I hate OOC names, if xxxxDartVaderRULZZzzzz is helpful and open--minded, they will be a greater asset to the server than someone who talks about other players in the despicable manner you do.

OP, just let the new player know what RP stands for, not everyone is aware when they choose the server. Many people pick randomly based on language or if a server seems busy but not over populated. Ofcourse by the time you meet them they may not want to reroll back to L1 with a more IC name, but there is always the ignore button so you don't see names in chat. It's a given for me that all character names are off on a RP server, so that is another option if the sight of Hans-Solo is immersion-breaking (he does exist, unfortunately).

Honestly it's the behavior as much or more than the names. Like Landroval in LOTRO I come to RP servers as much for the tenor of the culture as to RP myself. I can RP in a guild on any server, but it's the cultural consensus that's most attractive. Enough wtfCHEEEZBRGRlulz types and that goes away.

Honestly it's the behavior as much or more than the names. Like Landroval in LOTRO I come to RP servers as much for the tenor of the culture as to RP myself. I can RP in a guild on any server, but it's the cultural consensus that's most attractive. Enough wtfCHEEEZBRGRlulz types and that goes away.

To be honest, the behavior that annoys me most is from L50 old-timers who insist on chugging their vehicles all the way inside the stores and market kiosks. The removal of nameplates and putting people on ignore can't solve that particular problem.

Not to say that little newbie "wtfCHEEEZBRGRlulz" won't be guilty of this too in time, just pointing out that plenty of non-RP behavior is played out by existing players who really should know better.

To be honest, the behavior that annoys me most is from L50 old-timers who insist on chugging their vehicles all the way inside the stores and market kiosks. The removal of nameplates and putting people on ignore can't solve that particular problem.

Not to say that little newbie "wtfCHEEEZBRGRlulz" won't be guilty of this too in time, just pointing out that plenty of non-RP behavior is played out by existing players who really should know better.

Yeah, especially the huge lowrider type speeders parked INSIDE the PvP mission terminal, turn-in box AND both merchants at the SAME time. Should start reporting them all to the point where speeders are disabled on the fleet altogether. Don't care speeding to the right section, but then at least dismount to give people some room.

And yeah, stupid names have increased a lot, and yes, don't count on them to read the forums. Best try to reach them, then report them.

I once talked to someone with a non-RPish name, he wasn't happy with the name choice himself and after some talk with several people he send in a ticket to request a namechange... I think it worked.

An unrealistic name is mostly chosen by the impatient types... For myself i always try to chose a name that fits the species (for example : one of my 'human' characters is named : Matteüs... BUT sometimes it takes time to find the right name that isn't taken yet...

i have been on progenitor for 3 months and i an only lv 32 since i have to work and i havent had the time to play but i am a sus coz i love Star Wars. I think the bigger problem is experienced players that dont have the patiance for as that are stil in the learning proces. I plan to play this game for a long time and i dont think naming is the problem coz witg growth of the population all the good names will be alredy taken the problem is the rudnes of old players and them treating us like less worthy. Sorry for my bad english.

unfortunately welcome to the ilk that is F2P freeloaders. it wont be long before we see names like xxxxDartVaderRULZZzzzz

Anyways the F2P newbies wont be reading to this forum to begin with :(

Yeah right, thats why my ignore list was almost full before F2P got activated?

That statement is pure cow-dung... Subscribers are just as bad (if not worse) at naming their toons. Ive seen plenty of lvl50 "Sauron", "Vader" and "Starkiller" type of names... often just misspelled enough to cirkumvent the naming filter.

And i promptly report every last one of them.

Before I report people for their name I am always sure to talk to them before hand. So they understand why I report one of them. I got a huge ticket list already, and many have been handled. I've been recieving private messages in which they either thank me or insult me. But some names don't fit the Server. My tickets have always been taken seriously, and I find it a shame lots of people couldn't care more or less about it. I can understand the fact people randomly choose a server to play on, without actualy thinking about what kind of server it is.

For specefic zones, I don't think you should be flaming/complaining about non-RP behavior. For example mostly at the Fleet. People come there to do the business they want to do, wait for the warzone or flashpoint to pop up. If you actualy care to RP on the fleet, I am pretty sure there will be several people joining in, but don't hate the ones that are just doing their usual MMO-business.

In Cantina's or other planets, also mind the people who are passing by as they are on their mission towards glorious power. Leave them be, and don't ruin the game for them by saying they ruined YOUR RP. They don't do it on purpose. I am even sure most of them didn't even notice you were in a RP session. What we did on my previous guild, we made sure we had locations that weren't populated. So you won't get bothered by speeders flying into Cantina's or stores. The game is big enough to find a peaceful place, and even with the game being more populated, even on the Fleet you could have it all to yours. Be lucky enough there are enough players, and just transfer yourself to "[Fleet 2]".

So, keep reporting the inapropiate names, keep on the RP, and may I see you in-game! :rak_03:

Non IC names and speeders where they shouldn't be is a fact of life on any RP server regardless of which game you're playing. Such people can be ignored or reported. Personally I think the one of the real issues here is how easy it is to mistake this server for a normal PVE server; I rolled on this server to see what RP is like here in SWTOR, my highest character on the server is level 25. Through out the entire time I have been levelling not once have I seen anyone RPing, nor have I seen an advertisement for an RP guild in the chat box (I've seen plenty "social-levelling guilds" advertising however). I actually had to double check that it was an RP server I'd chosen, because it seemed no different from the PVE server I first rolled on when I got the game.

Now admittedly I'm not going out of my way to find RP, as for now I quite happy playing through my class story. However seeing as the RP (if there is any) is not out in the open or easy enough to stumble upon, it's very easy to mistake the server as a simple PVE server. New players learn by example, so if all they're seeing is people with OOC names riding speeders into shops or adverts for groups to kill the world boss, then they will think that is what the server is about thus they to will do the same. Ultimately you end up with an RP server with no RPers.

That's my thoughts on the problem here, how this can be fixed? I leave that for the community to decide as a whole (or at least those who read the forums anyway).

This is a problem we'll continue to see, but putting them on ignore helps and reporting is an option.

If you're a dedicated Role-Player you always have your own choice, First Knowledge strictly recruits people with Lore Friendly names, any Role-Player can do the same thing for themselves; only hang out with your kind of people. I believe this is the most humane way of handling things, without causing fights in General chat like on Tython and Ord Mantell.

only hang out with your kind of people. I believe this is the most humane way of handling things, without causing fights in General chat like on Tython and Ord Mantell.

I fully agree on that, but the problem has been that when you are RP'ing on a certain spot, you will have people intervene, as for example; other players running through the whole scenario. It's only annoying. Things about names.. Always a problem, I always try to explain to them why I "report" them, and they shouldn't say it as actual reporting. Just giving them a chance to change their name and adapt to the server. Unless they behave like headless chickens and start flapping and shouting, then it will be a report and ignore and won't spend any further attention.

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps when one selects a server a message should appear with - Are you aware of that this server is a roleplaying server and you must follow some rules of conduct etc etc. Similar for pvp and so on. Just remember to show respect and realize that people do roleplay and have choosen this server for those purposes. I dont care much for the names of characters what is worse is the haxxor nuubzor talk in say.

• 3 months later...
Or the guilds with names like Army of Russia/Poland or where ever etc. Ive been playing on here for a little under a month and I have yet to see or been able to take part in any RP. I am new to RP and was really looking forward to the challenge of character development and being able to submerse myself in the Star Wars universe, sadly it has not happened yet.

I have seen a lot of new people rolling characters on The Progenitor with names and attitudes that have nothing to do with the environment of a roleplaying server.

Please remember that this is a RP-PVE server, and consider another server if this is not your preferred play style.

I have only recently started RPing, but Ive always picked RP-PVE servers on WoW and the like because, at least in WoW, the 12 year olds and the ******* with names like "ZoooomgIpwnXXXX" tend to stay away from RP servers.

I think the SW TOR team needs to enforce the RP friendly enviroment in some ways, starting with timed bans on f2p players who deliberately ruin RP for people and act very disrespectful to RPers.

For example: If 5+ people are RPing in a cantina, MAYBE you shouldnt start running your damn speeder back and forth right through them? Behavior like that is extremely disrespectful and should, in my opinion, be dealt with my the GM's as this is an RP server.

Before I report people for their name I am always sure to talk to them before hand. So they understand why I report one of them. I got a huge ticket list already, and many have been handled. I've been recieving private messages in which they either thank me or insult me.

Yeah one should always contact suspicious names before reporting. I RPed with a guy the other day, and it wasnt until he told me his character was gay I realized his Legacy name was "Laidanus" (If you dont get it, read it again and think male gay character). I brought this up and commented how funny it was after I'd stopped laughing. Turned out it was completely unintentional and the name was just taken from a Roman general.

Edited by Katzens

I'm bit newbie to RP and always try to respect other players. But tell me one thing, cause i don't get it. U call /say chat in cantina or any other place as RP or what? I saw many those chatters many times. For i thought that RP is Story mode and RP groups on FP or OPS.

I'm bit newbie to RP and always try to respect other players. But tell me one thing, cause i don't get it. U call /say chat in cantina or any other place as RP or what? I saw many those chatters many times. For i thought that RP is Story mode and RP groups on FP or OPS.

RP is when you interact with other players In Character (IC) - in other words you say to them what your character would say. This tends to be done in public areas such as cantinas. A sure sign that people are engaged in RP is that instead of speaking on /General, they are using /Say, so their conversations aren't broadcast across the whole planet. In theory, you can join in any RP in progress, but in practice it can be tricky - look for an RP thread for more information.

And for goodness sake, most of the posters on thus thread, stop being such RP snobs! Who cares what a character's name is unless it's offensive? If you don't want to RP with them, ignore them. Speeders on Fleet don't go into RP areas, so what's the problem? Most non-RPers, when asked politely, will stop disrupting an RP in progress. How about instead of judging and ignoring newbies, who may not have understood what and RP server is and might in addition be trying to play the game in a foreign language, you encourage them in a friendly manner to join in, show them what they are missing and generally enhance their gaming experience? Not suggesting you do it all the time, of course, but to read some of your posts you'd think that RP was somehow a sacred trust and that interlopers should be stoned to death. This is a GAME. Get a grip! Swallow your annoyance, hit ignore, and let people get on with having fun their own way.

And for goodness sake, most of the posters on thus thread, stop being such RP snobs! Who cares what a character's name is unless it's offensive? If you don't want to RP with them, ignore them. Speeders on Fleet don't go into RP areas, so what's the problem? Most non-RPers, when asked politely, will stop disrupting an RP in progress. How about instead of judging and ignoring newbies, who may not have understood what and RP server is and might in addition be trying to play the game in a foreign language, you encourage them in a friendly manner to join in, show them what they are missing and generally enhance their gaming experience? Not suggesting you do it all the time, of course, but to read some of your posts you'd think that RP was somehow a sacred trust and that interlopers should be stoned to death. This is a GAME. Get a grip! Swallow your annoyance, hit ignore, and let people get on with having fun their own way.

first reasonable post and person iv seen in the progrenator, i dont rp, i tried it and i didnt like it. i dont go around annoying people who are rping, then again i get whisperd to join an rp an i say im not an Rper, i get flamed.." omg **** this server this is for rp only, ur taking up our server slots" and ofc the insults and offencive stuff that i wont get into. i can play on whatever server i want, i have 8 chars in progrenator, why would i change servers because i dont enjoy rping? im not saying all rpers do that, but there are quite alot who act like immature children when they find a person in a game who doesnt share the same intrest as they do. and im sorry for my english, its not my first language but im sure you can understand what im trying to say here

first reasonable post and person iv seen in the progrenator, i dont rp, i tried it and i didnt like it. i dont go around annoying people who are rping, then again i get whisperd to join an rp an i say im not an Rper, i get flamed.." omg **** this server this is for rp only, ur taking up our server slots" and ofc the insults and offencive stuff that i wont get into. i can play on whatever server i want, i have 8 chars in progrenator, why would i change servers because i dont enjoy rping? im not saying all rpers do that, but there are quite alot who act like immature children when they find a person in a game who doesnt share the same intrest as they do. and im sorry for my english, its not my first language but im sure you can understand what im trying to say here

You just found some bad apples.

I'm not that into RP either, but i respect those who do, and try to follow the RP rules. I joined an RP server because it's more common to find more mature people there, people who also care about the story of the game.

Yup i am no roleplayer but i am always willing to roleplay to help someone enjoy there game, infact one of the best days i have had on the game was when i was leveling a alt with a friend and we grouped with another player who roleplayed so we joined him we had great fun. It did take twice as long to do the quest but it was fun.

Going back to the first post please try to make a good name.:)

Heya!

I'm lennard, pretty new to RPing on swtor! but not new to RP at all.

I've RP'd alot in WoW, GW2 and GTA:SA-MP and now looking forward to embrace my RP skill into a new universe.

I've got bright idea's on my character, and it's past yet I'm looking to meet other roleplayers.

So, PM me anytime if you want to meet up once! but FYI, I rp Republic.