Leveling Companion

DocHolidaye

I used Vette until I unlocked Jaessa. I like Jaessa more since she was melee as well and mobs congregated to us both and that required less moving around to get them all.

I used Quinn on my first 50 mara and it was fine, but a lot slower leveling. Plus once you get used to your defensive CDs and such Mara can do perfectly fine without healing companion even in big boss fights.

6-7months ago I had timed it doing my daily quest in the northern part of Belsavis 5 days each companion to average. I found I did all my dailies in about 5-10 min less with Jaessa as opposed to Quinn and during the fights with elites even with Quinn I still stopped to heal myself after the fight, although not as much.

Its really preference, but i liked the challenge and efficiency of using Jaessa.

Both times I leveled a Marauder (two seperate servers) I've ultimately used Quinn the most. Part of it is his personality which will stoke anyone's ego if you treat him good, but ultimately he really is that useful. Vette is my number 2 when I want to clear a lot of trash quickly. Again it is about personality in choosing her over Jaesa for DPS. Jaesa annoys me to distraction with her comments during fights.

Word of warning with Quinn though. You will read a lot of posts about his "poor" healing. It isn't poor but does appear to be subject to how far he is from you and how many mobs are hitting him during a fight. I learned this early on with the first Mara. All his skills are supposedly max 30m. Your force charge is max 30m. He stays exactly where you initiate Force Charge and often it looks to me he is firing his blaster from farther way than 30m.... and not healilng. So I delay Force Charge to bring Quinn in closer with me or I draw my target back towards him which does seem to make a difference. Quinn will also default to keeping himself alive if he has too many things hitting him so I monitor him and change targets as necessary to keep him focused on me.

Ok for leveling its spec dependant. Carnage and Rage dont shine till around lvl 30 to 32 (dependant on if you got any side tree points) Anni shines right off the bat as best for leveling. Anni works well enough with vette but i liked the solid enough heals of the ship droid till i got Quinn. Carnage and Rage benefit more from Quinn because they dont have BCH (Bleed Crit Heals)

In layman's terms use quinn for Carnage or Rage and use Jaesa or Vette (personal preference is Jaesa [dark side]) for Anni.

If you and you're companion are adequately geared (not necessarily the best gear, but all-around decent) you can do anything non-heroic with any companion. Quinn will reduce down-time, dps-companions will reduce combat time (making them all around slightly faster, though slightly more risky as well). Tank companions are somewhere in between. Personally, Offensive Melee Tanks are my companions of choice. Give them a Focus/Generator, and put them in dps stance (cutting their damage cooldowns by 25%) and they put out decent dps, while still being able to taunt. Unfortunately, Broonmark is your final companion, and also your least interesting one.

Right now, I'm able to do every Heroic 2 on my Sentinel using Kira (I'm on Alderaan), but I have a ton of Presence (from lvl 50 Human character and lots of finished companions) which makes it all (too) easy. She has almost 1000 health on me.

I've used Vette and Jaesa exclusively with my marauders, all the way to 50.

I usually have enough DPS available to push through any serious threat to my life, and don't have to use medpacs or relics very often.

Use the Cloak (of Pain), Luke. Save Saber Ward and Force Camo for serious threats.

Oh, and stay geared. Gear = Life. If you fall behind, go kill/loot a lot of slightly easier stuff until you can afford to upgrade.

Oh, and stay geared. Gear = Life. If you fall behind, go kill/loot a lot of slightly easier stuff until you can afford to upgrade.

This is key.

I used Quinn while leveling, kept him and myself geared, and was able to EASILY take down elites that were 4 levels above me.

Any companion that is geared is viable to be honest, they all have their pro's and cons,some more than others.