This game is suffering from memory leaks, and it needs to be fixed.

Exitusx

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an issue for me as well. Drove me crazy. One day I just opened the launcher, then left it open for 20 minutes. When I returned memory was almost maxed out. So, on my system, the game doesnt even need to be playing - just have the launcher screen up! I have wondered if its due to NVIDIA cards. Finally, I read someone used CleanMem Monitor Pro so I bought it. It is only $4.99 so what the hell. It works perfectly. Every minute the app clears memory / page file and my problems disappeared.

I'm annoyed that I had to do this - I tried every troubleshooting technique, re-installed a million times, etc. Now I don't even think about it, which is nice. :)

The game crashed to desktop every 2-3 hours, since 1.4 and 1.5.

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Drive: C:

Free Space: 282.0 GB

Total Space: 328.3 GB

File System: NTFS

Model: WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B2 ATA Device

Drive: D:

Free Space: 100.7 GB

Total Space: 200.0 GB

Drive: E:

Free Space: 151.0 GB

Total Space: 205.0 GB

Drive: F:

Free Space: 164.3 GB

Total Space: 205.5 GB

Drive: H:

Free Space: 255.4 GB

Total Space: 282.2 GB

Edited by TonyDragonflame

Try turning off ambient collusion in nvidia control panel for swtor,solved my crashes on nvidia card pc.

As to the problem of after playing after 1-2 hours and then lagging real bad on fleet,long load times,then needing to end swtor.exe because it's unresponsive when ending your play session, i had all of those problems.

Even when playing for just 5 minutes, if i would alt-tab to open a browser to google something while playing, the whole pc would become laggy-unresponsive.

My pc at the time was a c2quad 2.4ghz / 4gb ram / radeon hd6950 2gb with win7 ultimate x64. i used gamebooster and memory cleaner,they helped a lot(mem cleaner kept memory usage at 80 percent- 3.2gb.)

Then i got a better cpu cooler,overclocked the cpu to 3ghz, got some better ram ( 8gb ),gpu is the same,win7 i left untouched ,and the difference is huge.

With 4gb ram ,after 2+ hours of playing swtor ram usage would go real close to 4gb the game would just start to be more and more laggy,the fps would drop over time...

Now that i have 8gb ram + overclock of the cpu i can play 5 hours and go to the fleet with just some minor stutters when close to a bunch of other players characters,but the whole pc is smoothly responsive when i alt-tab at any point during 5+ hours to open a browser,no fps drops after long play sessions,don't need to use mem cleaner or gbooster but i still do from time to time out of habit :p

Ram usage never goes above 5.5gb.

Just going from 4gb to 8 made a huge difference on my pc.

Re-installing the game won't help. I've re-installed many times from cd as well as online client download. Even went as far as re-installing Windows itself which still yields the same results...

Tried it anyway just so at least say I tried.

Didn't do a thing.

At this point, I think that even if Bioware wanted to fix the memory issue, they couldn't. They fired all their programmers.

This is likely a good thing for the players because the chances are that they are the ones who screwed it up to begin with. Maybe if we are lucky they will hire new ones who will actually fix the issue.

Drive: C:

Free Space: 282.0 GB

Total Space: 328.3 GB

Drive: D:

Free Space: 100.7 GB

Total Space: 200.0 GB

Drive: E:

Free Space: 151.0 GB

Total Space: 205.0 GB

Drive: F:

Free Space: 164.3 GB

Total Space: 205.5 GB

Drive: H:

Free Space: 255.4 GB

Total Space: 282.2 GB

Saw these specs then I proceeded to brown my trousers.

Then it made me realize that upgrading my computer won't do anything.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Game runs fine on my setup and its outdated. I play windowed 1920x1200 with everything on the "high" setting and cranked to 100. ( Although i don't really know what the difference is on those two bars.)

Edited by wrmrstacrdwower

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Game runs fine on my setup and its outdated. I play windowed 1920x1200 with everything on the "high" setting and cranked to 100. ( Although i don't really know what the difference is on those two bars.)

I don't think anything about this setup is outdated.

How much was this setup may I ask?

Memory leaks have been around since early beta. It will *never* go away. Fact is, BW doesn't have the devs left to even fix SIMPLE bugs, let alone something as daunting as a memory leak.

FFS this game is still single-core DX 9 dude.

Saw these specs then I proceeded to brown my trousers.

Then it made me realize that upgrading my computer won't do anything.

Coming soon to the Cartel Shop, memory leak fix for just 2,400 CC! If you browned your trousers on that system, I'm afraid of what you would do with min, lol. i7-3930K, Dual ASUS GTX680 DCU2, 32 GB Ram, on a fresh install of everything, and the game still runs like dog crap.

Memory leaks have been around since early beta. It will *never* go away. Fact is, BW doesn't have the devs left to even fix SIMPLE bugs, let alone something as daunting as a memory leak.

FFS this game is still single-core DX 9 dude.

The secret world is DX11 and has been having memory leaks since beta. Their forum is full of posts about memory leaks.

Not that this is a reason for Swtor NOT to fix its own problems, but just saying...

The secret world is DX11 and has been having memory leaks since beta. Their forum is full of posts about memory leaks.

Not that this is a reason for Swtor NOT to fix its own problems, but just saying...

I have yet to play an MMO that didnt have some sort of a memory leak, and been playing MMO's for over 10 years now. I play quite a bit of single player games that have memory leaks in them as well, some are very horrendous while others are like swtor where it doesnt effect me on a daily basis.

I have yet to play an MMO that didnt have some sort of a memory leak, and been playing MMO's for over 10 years now. I play quite a bit of single player games that have memory leaks in them as well, some are very horrendous while others are like swtor where it doesnt effect me on a daily basis.

That's not the case for me, unfortunately.

It does affect me on a daily basis, since I can't seem to do more than 2-3 WZs or travel to 2-3 places (or, simply, see a loading screen 2-3 times) without crashing. I've also crashed during WZs (ALWAYS when I'm winning :mad: ) and and FPs but for the most part it's getting past the loading screen that causes most of my crashes.

But, having played TSW for a bit, I know that non-cartoonish MMOs have their issues with memory leaks and I just hope things will get better in time.

What bugs me is that this used to be a problem that seemed to have been fixed with 1.2 and resurfaced with 1.4...

Coming soon to the Cartel Shop, memory leak fix for just 2,400 CC! If you browned your trousers on that system, I'm afraid of what you would do with min, lol. i7-3930K, Dual ASUS GTX680 DCU2, 32 GB Ram, on a fresh install of everything, and the game still runs like dog crap.

But on my computer the game itself runs fine (until it crashes that is). I can run the graphics on high and have very few fps drops, except in the fleet when there are like 200 people all in the trade market. Otherwise it runs fine no matter what I do. It's just when I'm trying to leave the game that it crashes on me, and I will sometimes experience choppiness after an hour or so, but nothing that drastic.

The only real issue I am having is the game crashing my PC by failing to load the desktop after playing for an extended period of time.

BIOWARE FINALLY GOT BACK TO ME ON THIS ISSUE (my ticket)

After several weeks of waiting, customer support finally got back to me. He said he reviewed the info I sent them and they said there found multiple instances of my Kernel32.dll crashing. They explained it has to do with graphics or memory. I was confused by this at first because normally if the issue is caused by kernel32.dll, it would display an error message. Then again, the desktop doesn't usually load upon crashing, so it is possible that I'm just not seeing them.

The things they recommended I do in order were:

1: Run the game in Admin Mode

2: Change or create the pc (not game) profile I play it on, as it may be directly related to a corrupt user account.

3: May be an issue with my own memory (lol), so I should run memory tests.

4: The video card may have a faulty or broken pipe that this game may be trying to access that other games might not, causing crashes. The best way to test it is to run a graphics test utility (if I have one)

He also stressed that there were several linked issues to this involving corrupt user accounts on the Microsoft Discussion forums.

So here is what I am going to do:

1: The game has always been on admin mode, so that got scratched out immediately.

2: I'll try making a new PC profile just in case he is right about the corrupt user profile, although I doubt it will help. I'm still going to try it to at least say I did.

3. He recommended I run this application called memtest86+, so I'll give that a try. I'm dubious as to whether or not this will work, as if it were my memory specifically this game wouldn't be the only one crashing.

4. I already have furmark on my pc, so I doubt that there is anything wrong with my video card or I may have caught it already, but I don't know how to test specific pipes. I'll figure that out myself.

5: This is something I am going to do myself. On the microsoft support website it mentioned that the kernel32.dll may just be faulty in a single program if there is only one system crashing. Since this is the case, it recommends just reinstalling the program. I have already done this and it didn't work, but I also have 2 hard drives, C and D. Most of my games and applications are on Drive C, while SWTOR is the only one on D (besides league of legends). League of Legends matches normally don't last much longer than an hour, most matches being 30 minutes before it puts me back in the client and back to windows. If it did have a similar issue, I wouldn't notice it because the sessions are usually short. I'm going to try reinstalling again, but this time on my C drive to see if that has any results.

Questions for people: Has anyone had an issue like this but had it solved? And does anyone know specifically how to explain the kernel32.dll in lay-man's terms for those that aren't computer experts? And how do I go about testing a specific pipe in my gpu? Thanks.

Edited by Exitusx

OP is right on, I think. I've experienced this same thing in another game that behaves exactly the same with regard to ever increasing usage of RAM and the inevitable crash to desktop or lockup. I have 8GBs and my experience playing is just as OP describes in the first post in thread.

So I changed the user profile I used the game on, and that didn't work.

I made sure it was in admin mode, and that didn't make a difference.

I downloaded a memory test utility that they recommended (memtest86+) and tested my memory, and nothing was found wrong there. I figured it would be pointless because I recently replaced my 2 2g RAM sticks with a pair of 4g RAM sticks by crucial bullistix.

I downloaded a GPU test utility called Furmark to test my video card, and all of the pipes came back fine, and when I stress tested it, it only finally crashed due to overheating (the whole point of stress testing). I even tested it again during gameplay and believe or not the memory the game used up did slowly work its way up.

But just to be safe I even tried reinstalling the game AGAIN but on to a different hard drive just to make sure it wasn't my hard drive acting up, and that didn't work either.

It may just be my operating system entirely. I'm running XP Pro, what is everyone else using?

Quite frankly, I'm out of options here. The game is slowly killing my pc so I'm going to have to stop playing for a while until they decide that releasing new content is not as good as fixing the major amount of bugs that this game has accumulated.

A word for advice for you guys in R&D, don't release new content until you fix all of the problems the last bit of content caused. New content may sound cool and all, but what makes people want to keep playing a good game is that the game doesn't slowly kill their PC like a bad habit. My advice would be to dedicate an entire patch, not update, PATCH to fixing bugs and issues like these. We don't need more content as much as we need the game to work. These aren't just simple isolated incidents, this is a major issue that happening to alot of people for you to assume that the problem is on our end. It isn't exactly a big secret that this game has enough bugs that if they were termites they would have already consumed the entire north side of my house. There is no shame in admitting the game has bugs and several issues, as long as you take initiative to fix them. WoW had to dedicate a patch-sized update to fixing bugs and issues in their Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Guild Wars 2 shortly after its release had to dedicate an entire update to bug fixes. Even though I very much prefer SWTOR over those two games, the difference is that neither of those games are slowly killing my PC, so I don't really have a choice.

Most people had no ctd issues from a memory leak until 1.4. I'm one of them. I could play for 12 hours straight if I wanted to do so at any time between launch and 1.4 with zero problems.

Whatever "performance" enhancements they did in 1.4 broke something for many of us. The swtor.exe processes used to keep themselves trimmed to around 1.7gb max, and now they don't.

Christmas has passed and I got Windows 8. One of the possibilities of the memory leak was that I was using XP Pro and the game didn't like 32-bit. That is just a theory, however. I now have Windows 8 64-bit and I am going to see if that makes a difference. I also got a new Hard Drive as well, so let's see what happens.