Cartel Market should warn if an unlock will do nothing, or not let you buy it.

Heezdedjim

It will allow you to keep buying an unlock item and using it, even when that item will add nothing to the account. I only discovered this after I bought and used the fifth cargo bay unlock, which adds nothing, because five bays is the most you can have (apparently, despite the fact that it looks like there is room for three or four more tabs at the bottom of the cargo bay window in the UI).

If a character is maxed out on a certain unlock, then you should not be able to buy the character version of that unlock, or the market UI should at least warn you that it will add nothing to that character. And if you have maxed something out for all characters (e.g., already bought x8 inventory modules or x4 cargo bay expansions), then the market should either not let you buy more of the account or character unlock item, or it should at least warn you that you have gotten all you're going to get out of that item.

In the case of the cargo bay, there is also nothing in the market that tells you what are the most tabs you can have, unlike the inventory modules, which does state you can have up to 80 slots at most.

Edited by Heezdedjim

That really sucks. I'd submit a ticket on that one.

You have a really valid point in particular for the cargo holds. If you are a subscriber, you are told explicitly on any item where buying it in the first place would be useless -- specifically, for those items that subs get for free but F2Pers have to purchase, there are warnings in the item descriptions. There is no such warning for cargo holds. And in trying to picture that area for the tabs for holds ... yeah, it does look like you could squeeze in maybe 8 or so.

First gripe I've seen that really merits the demerits. Submit a ticket, call BS on this.

Edited by finelinebob

AFAIK, all the unlocks are sellable, so it should ALWAYS let you at least buy it, in case you want to put it up on the GTN, or give it to a friend, or something.

But yeah, it shouldn't actually let you USE it if you won't be able to actually unlock anything by doing so. 'Course, whose surprised? How long did it take them to make it so you didn't waste schematics on stuff you already know? And you still lose missions if you already have it.

Besides, as I said in one thread, when you play the lottery, you can't expect to win every time. The packs are the lottery. Buy something specific if you don't want to play the lottery.

Gambling (and certainly skill-less gambling) is basically legal fraud, so you are right about avoiding it if you have any sense. :csw_yoda:

However this seems to be a more general issue than just the gambling boxes.

It will allow you to keep buying an unlock item and using it, even when that item will add nothing to the account. I only discovered this after I bought and used the fifth cargo bay unlock, which adds nothing, because five bays is the most you can have (apparently, despite the fact that it looks like there is room for three or four more tabs at the bottom of the cargo bay window in the UI)..

This should have been fixed in the 1.5.0a patch instead of nerfing the xp bonus. ( like extra xp was hurting us)

Besides, as I said in one thread, when you play the lottery, you can't expect to win every time. The packs are the lottery. Buy something specific if you don't want to play the lottery.

When it comes to the issue the OP raise -- cargo holds -- this is not a Cartel Pack "gambling" item. It's an Unlock you buy specifically. No RNG to worry about here: just very poor (lack of) description of its hard cap limitations. And since the other things that are useless, wasteful purchases (F2P perks that Subs get for free so DON'T BUY THIS, SUBSCRIBERS appears in the item description), and items such as the inventory row restriction being listed ... you have to ask why the same sort of cap from personal inventory expansion wasn't considered when it came to buying additional cargo holds.

It should have been noticed. Someone in their QA lab should have been given account with unlimited coins, and had as his task to iterate through every item, buying multiple versions of each and discovering what sorts of issues, not just possible bugs but these sorts of squishy problems, come up from multiple purchases of an item. Again, considering something a sub gets automagically, what would happen if a sub tries to buy one? If I do this, will I get a big BZZZZ and a dialog saying that I already have this and so I am blocked from buying it as long as I am a subscriber ... or, does BW actually allow me to spend coin on Items I already have and that give me no bonus for having another dose of it?

But it wasn't noticed. Or, it was noticed and ignored. And, at this time, we have one vocal person calling BS on it out of costly experience. How many other subs out there purchased too many cargo holds and haven't spoken out yet? Probably quite a few.

Cargo Holds are not a lottery item. No RNG to blame here. You pay for it, you get it. Well, until this unmentioned cap of 5 pops up, then its a matter of how fast you catch yourself before you try to unlock #6 (or later) and find the harsh reality of not being able to refund your purchase because you've already claimed the item.

Edited by finelinebob

Wrong thread? Talking about buying (and using) unlocks here, not cartel packs/blackmarket packs or whatever the gambling boxes are called.

Indeed it should - account items I can't use in LOTRO don't even show up in the store.

Yep, which is the best way to do it, I see in the box on the lower right hand in the cartel shop it tells you a subscriber already has acsess to this, but I know allot of folks will not see that or just don't read whats on the page, best way to stop this confusion would be to not even have them show up for subbed players..

Edited by kevlarto

Yep, which is the best way to do it, I see in the box on the lower right hand in the cartel shop it tells you a subscriber already has acsess to this, but I know allot of folks will not see that or just don't read whats on the page, best way to stop this confusion would be to not even have them show up for subbed players..

Except, I might want to buy it with my subbed player to send to a second F2P account that I have....

Except, I might want to buy it with my subbed player to send to a second F2P account that I have....

Yeah... they can't do it the LoTRO way precisely because of this... and freely trading and selling cartel items like unlocks is a good feature of this game. With features, come responsibilities... just like when you aquire a firearm, you need to be responsible and not shoot yourself in the foot with it.

I'm sure they will address the issue of people not being able to take responsibility for buying things they can't use..... that's what patches are for.

In the mean time... OP...check before you buy something like a cargo hold unlock to see if you can use it. Just like checking if you can use an item off the GTN before you buy it. ;)

Edited by Andryah

I'm sure they will address the issue of people not being able to take responsibility for buying things they can't use..... that's what patches are for.

Putting the responsibility for a terrible, ill-thoughtout and confusing system (even if you're very careful) on the customer is just plain daft. :csw_yoda:

It's no one's fault but Bioware EA's, they created it as it is.

I think there needs to be a clearer description about what the item is/does. For example you can buy Companion Customization, I almost bought it thinking it was a new look or something and then after thinking about it realized it probably was only so that F2P guys can change their companion with the options that already exist. Same goes for the HK quest, at first I thought I needed to buy it in order to get to Sector/Section X (whatever it is called) but saw that I already had access when I clicked on the Black Hole Shuttle.

I agree that part of the responsibility falls on the buyer to understand what they are buying but when the item description if vague it is kind of BW's responsability to clarify what items actually do.

I think there needs to be a clearer description about what the item is/does. For example you can buy Companion Customization, I almost bought it thinking it was a new look or something and then after thinking about it realized it probably was only so that F2P guys can change their companion with the options that already exist. Same goes for the HK quest, at first I thought I needed to buy it in order to get to Sector/Section X (whatever it is called) but saw that I already had access when I clicked on the Black Hole Shuttle.

I agree that part of the responsibility falls on the buyer to understand what they are buying but when the item description if vague it is kind of BW's responsability to clarify what items actually do.

It's a good point though with the "authorizations." None of those should even show up in the store for a subscriber, who will get absolutely nothing from them. At the least they should be greyed out. I did not fall for the Section X thing, but I read it five or more times and still don't see anywhere that it says whether or not subscribers need it. In the end I just assumed I didn't, but there is no reason anyone should be wondering about the basic fact of whether or not an item is actually useable for their toon or account.

That really sucks. I'd submit a ticket on that one.

I'm on the third ticket now. In typical fashion, the "customer service" idiots just silently closed the first two without doing anything to address the problem or refund the 1,050 CC I wasted because of this "oversight."

It's true what they say: Ignore your customers long enough, and eventually they'll go away.

Of course, after two weeks of NOT fixing this, NOT acknowledging it, and NOT doing anything with the ticket, their idiot CSRs respond with boilerplate BS about how cartel markets are returnable until transferred to inventory, and they can't offer refunds once an item is claimed.

That's $10 you just stole from a paying customer who has been playing this game since the start, idiots, because it's just too much trouble for you to actually admit your mistake and lift a finger to fix it. Hope you bought something nice with that $10, cause you also just bought yourselves another canceled sub.