Rethink these Restrictions Bioware

KnighteStar

FPs, OPs and WZs are their only gateable content (I'm talking actual content, not fluff), so they're going to be gated. Get used to it.

It's an MMO, the meat of the game is FPs, OPs and WZ's, everything else is just a single players experience. Its extremely horrible when games like CoH, DCU, and Aion, are granting access to their "instances". This isn't an attractive model. I would want players to experience the full game and buy the details (ie. Guild Wars 2) if I were thinking about with a profit margin.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with the limitations. You are not paying for the game, therefore you are a second class citizen. If you want all the bells and whistles dont be a tight ***.

You only get what you paid for.

I would not consider F2P players second class citizens at all. They are merely guests sitting down to a sample buffet. If they want full course meals they have to pay for them - either ala carte as they go, or full price for the freedom to gorge on anything & everything the menu offers whenever they want.

There is nothing wrong with the limitations. You are not paying for the game, therefore you are a second class citizen. If you want all the bells and whistles dont be a tight ***.

You only get what you paid for.

Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight 2 would like to have a word with you.

It's an MMO, the meat of the game is FPs, OPs and WZ's, everything else is just a single players experience. Its extremely horrible when games like CoH, DCU, and Aion, are granting access to their "instances". This isn't an attractive model. I would want players to experience the full game and buy the details (ie. Guild Wars 2) if I were thinking about with a profit margin.

Guild Wars 2 is a completely different model. SWTOR is free to play. Meaning you can download it for free and play for free. GW2 makes its profit already just off the unit price. If SWTOR was able to still make money based on unit price and have a sub model, people who just bought the unit would be far better off. Because they AREN'T free players. They paid for the game.

So, you want to give away all the content for free and just charge for the frills? Yeah, not going to happen.

Ever play LotRO or DDO? They have gated adventure packs, not unlike our FPs and OPs. And they make a bundle selling access to them. That's what this F2P model is based on. And FPs, OPs and WZs are the only things they can gate that don't interfere with the player's story. So, they're going to be gated. Nothing you can do or say will change that, so you might as well get used to it.

:cool:

Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight 2 would like to have a word with you.

LoL, DUST....

Many exemples of how you can make a high profit game, and still allow customer to play for free with no limitations other than the looks and customisation of your hero.

Monthly fee will die and be replace by virtual coins and stores. In 5 years from now me says.

I would not consider F2P players second class citizens at all. They are merely guests sitting down to a sample buffet. If they want full course meals they have to pay for them - either ala carte as they go, or full price for the freedom to gorge on anything & everything the menu offers whenever they want.

The F2P market offers far more than what is in this game. Why eat at a Denny's buffet when you can get a decent full meal elsewhere?

The F2P market and the Pay Trap market are very different and no Pay Trap like SWTOR can touch the success of the better F2P games in either numbers of players playing or the revenue they bring in...and that is due to a Pay Trap being a half-assed effort that is only meant to give a failing game a lifeline to stick around a little longer. And that is what this is, a failing game. Too bad, an actual F2P version of this game could have been around for 4-5 years and made EA far more money. Oh well, at least they didnt anger the few that stuck around and kept paying...at least until the game gets yet another funding cut and recieves next to no updates.

So, you want to give away all the content for free and just charge for the frills? Yeah, not going to happen.

Ever play LotRO or DDO? They have gated adventure packs, not unlike our FPs and OPs. And they make a bundle selling access to them. That's what this F2P model is based on. And FPs, OPs and WZs are the only things they can gate that don't interfere with the player's story. So, they're going to be gated. Nothing you can do or say will change that, so you might as well get used to it.

:

Except this isn't Lotr or DDo, which have a massive MMO fan base, while Star Wars is massive outside of the online world, it fails here, the sub model didn't work, and it just won't work in the long run. It's bait and switch, its deemed as "free to play"-ish, at this point it would be more fun to play Knights of the Old Republic. Or I could just mention TF2 and be done with it, they still make money, and nearly everything is free.

LoL, DUST....

Many exemples of how you can make a high profit game, and still allow customer to play for free with no limitations other than the looks and customisation of your hero.

Monthly fee will die and be replace by virtual coins and stores. In 5 years from now me says.

I try not to mention the giants destroying SWTOR's current model, because then theres zero discussion, instead fanboys screaming "then don't play and or pay". But I agree completely.

The F2P market offers far more than what is in this game. Why eat at a Denny's buffet when you can get a decent full meal elsewhere?

The F2P market and the Pay Trap market are very different and no Pay Trap like SWTOR can touch the success of the better F2P games in either numbers of players playing or the revenue they bring in...and that is due to a Pay Trap being a half-assed effort that is only meant to give a failing game a lifeline to stick around a little longer. And that is what this is, a failing game. Too bad, an actual F2P version of this game could have been around for 4-5 years and made EA far more money. Oh well, at least they didnt anger the few that stuck around and kept paying...at least until the game gets yet another funding cut and recieves next to no updates.

I'm sorry to see that your mind is already made up about the game's future. I'm taking a wait and see approach (actually I take that approach with anything that isn't critical & video games don't rate in that regard.)

I think at the heart of the matter is the Cartel Coin economy. In essence, how rapidly or slowly are they accumulated and through what activities? Subscribers get 500 a month just for subscribing. I'm guessing an equal amount is there to be had by simply playing the game casually. So within a few months F2P players may well have purchased all the bars and inventory slots that a standard subscriber would have. Who knows?

Again that is just a guess because no one knows. And we won't know until it's operated for awhile and Bioware's had a chance to tweak it and peak it. But to come right out the first day and call it a failure can easily be mistaken for water army propaganda.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I'm sorry to see that your mind is already made up about the game's future. I'm taking a wait and see approach

Its mainly due to the fact that there are plenty other F2P's that are not baiting and switching players that are doing incredibly well. Bioware either needs to change all this or fall short. As it stands this is the most infamous case of nickel and dime tactics in an MMO.

I'm sorry to see that your mind is already made up about the game's future. I'm taking a wait and see approach (actually I take that approach with anything that isn't critical & video games don't rate in that regard.)

I think at the heart of the matter is the Cartel Coin economy. In essence, how rapidly or slowly are they accumulated and through what activities? Subscribers get 500 a month just for subscribing. I'm guessing an equal amount is there to be had by simply playing the game casually. So within a few months F2P players may well have purchased all the bars and inventory slots that a standard subscriber would have. Who knows?

Again that is just a guess because no one knows. And we won't know until it's operated for awhile and Bioware's had a chance to tweak it and peak it. But to come right out the first day and call it a failure can easily be mistaken for water army propaganda.

Um more like 500 to like 800 per month, its 100 more per mohtn if you have the key and I might be wrong about the 800, its ether 800 or 700 for the 6 mohtn suber with the key

Its mainly due to the fact that there are plenty other F2P's that are not baiting and switching players that are doing incredibly well. Bioware either needs to change all this or fall short. As it stands this is the most infamous case of nickel and dime tactics in an MMO.

Well, I dont know about that, I think thats arguable, but I do think it wasnt wise to have former players stuck to 2 bars unless they purchase more.

Except this isn't Lotr or DDo, which have a massive MMO fan base, while Star Wars is massive outside of the online world, it fails here, the sub model didn't work, and it just won't work in the long run. It's bait and switch, its deemed as "free to play"-ish, at this point it would be more fun to play Knights of the Old Republic. Or I could just mention TF2 and be done with it, they still make money, and nearly everything is free.

Then why don't you just go play TF2 and be done with it?

:cool:

LOTRO is a better example of that. F2p gets one 15 slot bag and no bank space. Want more? Gotta buy it. Want advanced region access? Gotta buy it. Mounts? Gotta buy them. Walk faster than a snail? Gotta buy a mount - period. Want to do dungeons? Gotta buy them on either an individual per-access basis or as a package. They expire. What doesn't expire are the quest packs and expansions, and those cost about as much as buying the retail DD game updates do.

I too have my own ideas of what a perfect F2P model would look like for this game. But the game isn't a failure because Bioware isn't doing it the way I want them to. I'm not narcissistic enough to think like that.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Not to sound mean, but people took the "wait and see" approach when myself and others called this game becoming F2P in BETA. That didn't end well.

Bioware and EA are just trying to grab as much money as they can, as fast as they can. Unless they fix this F2P model fast, the game will be shut down. 18months top.

I'm sorry to see that your mind is already made up about the game's future. I'm taking a wait and see approach (actually I take that approach with anything that isn't critical & video games don't rate in that regard.

1. I prefer to be proACTIVE about things that I like instead of just sitting back and watching it being killed off far sooner than it should be...but I know I know, the game isnt dieing, there is nothing wrong, it losing so many players is due to those players sucking and it going to a bad F2P model is just Bioware being...NICE.

2. Funny how people love to mention that something isnt important to try to belittle another person yet still somehow always take the time to reply...derp.

1. I prefer to be proACTIVE about things that I like instead of just sitting back and watching it being killed off far sooner than it should be...but I know I know, the game isnt dieing, there is nothing wrong, it losing so many players is due to those players sucking and it going to a bad F2P model is just Bioware being...NICE.

2. Funny how people love to mention that something isnt important to try to belittle another person yet still somehow always take the time to reply...derp.

The game isn't dying, there are plenty of things wrong, players sucking has no bearing on the game itself, and I have a library full of of in-game tickets I've submitted when I find something not working. I too am proactive, though I choose to be proactive directly with the people who are paid to process that information. Spray painting dirty laundry on forum walls does nothing but make the forum look like a collection of territorial gang tags. Edited by GalacticKegger

The game isn't dying, there are plenty of things wrong, players sucking has no bearing on the game itself, and I have a library full of of in-game tickets I've submitted when I find something not working. I too am proactive, though I choose to be proactive directly with the people who are paid to process that information. Spray painting dirty laundry on forum walls does nothing but make forum look like a gang hideout.

The game is dying. Healthy games don't go F2P.

LOL. The game didn't go F2P. It added F2P as an option. If it went F2P then subscribers like myself who are satisfied having full access to everything in the game for 50¢ a day wouldn't be here. Edited by GalacticKegger

Obviously didn't read the post. It didn't GO F2p ... it added F2P as an OPTION. Oi vay.

The blue pill helps right? The game is F2P. It's not just an option. It's F2P. No box cost, and only have to sub if you want perks. The game is F2P. A bad F2P model, but F2P none the less.

Your view is the exact same view a large group of fanboys had during beta. They keep saying the game was fine. The next build will fix it. While the rest of us called it going F2P. Even the devs said that would "never" happen. Their words.

Hummm yeah... Ok if a game goes F2P it usually means that they need more players.

It's doesn't mean a game is dying. Starwars fans would have kept a kicking community here. Since many lost their home in SWG, TOR is now their new place.

SW is still a big *** franchise (The biggest in the world actually). It's unlikely that the game is actually dying.

It did loose a lot of players, but thus is now F2P. By no means is this a sign that the game is dying. MMo's don't need a million+ players to stay alive. Some have been around with just a 100 000 players.

Edited by sarazoul