Idea for Expanding Space

Yngwe

I recently typed up the following. Warning - it is long.

I think I have a formula that will: (a) significantly increase cash flow for EA/BW; (b) make players happy and possibly boost subscriptions; and © do both of the above without a massive investment of resources, at least not initially. The idea can be summed up in one word: Space!

Most people would agree that space missions are fairly one-dimensional in TOR right now and far from what everyone wishes they were. On-rails shooters that make for a nice diversion do not make a lot of people want to subscribe to the game or plunk down money in a cash shop. We all know that BW has “big plans” for space, but they have been saying that for a long time with nothing much in the way of news.

Now, how cool would it be if you were sitting in Carrick Station browsing the GTN when a fleet-wide announcement is heard “Sith Interceptors spotted in fleet space. All available pilots are requested at the ready until the threat is fully assessed.” That may sound cheesy, but I don’t get paid to write dialog. Anyway, you run to the Jedi Knight hangar, but instead of your Defender, you board an X-wing. You and thirty other players meet the enemy attack and repel it. You get a reward and head back to the docking bay.

What needs to happen for the above to work? I don’t know. Let me guess – first a new instance needs to be created. Instead of the Black Hole, it needs to be an instance populated with only two things: space and the models for the fleet. We know those exist already, just take Interfleet Transport. The tricky part is likely having multiple player’s ships in one instance. We know they can make space instances with lots of moving parts – see any space mission. We know they have lots of vehicle models. What we don’t know is if BW can easily drop multiple players into one instance.

Then they need to come up with a way to navigate ships off-rails. Ultimately, as long as it is fun, the controls don’t have to be as complex as the X-wing games. Let me control where I go in a simple manner, and then give me something to do.

Assuming all of the above can happen, we have a a fleet-space instance where multiple ships can exist at once. How do we make it fun, and how does BW make money off of it? I am going to borrow from two very different games for the answers to those questions.

First, the fun part. Borrowing from Guild Wars 2, fleet space can have a series of dynamic events that unfold in different sectors. Lore-wise, we can come up with some hooks that explain the increased activity. As a player, you fly around the fleet, and if you see other players converging on something or something catches your eye, you join in. Also, remember the original point, while you are out of your ship on the fleet, you can get a call to arms message to join in an event in space. The other benefit to adding content of this type is BW can start small with a few events and gradually increase. If it becomes popular, more instances can be created and even, just maybe, some pvp.

Finally, how does BW make money off this? Remember the X-wing from the example? That is how. BW can make a ton of money from players by selling ships. This may break some people’s immersion, but how many kids are going to be begging their parents to drop $15 so they can show off their Millenium Falcon to their friends. I have played Super Hero Squad Online with my daughter, and its system of selling heroes would adapt well for this purpose. In brief, some ships are available for currency that is easily earned in-game, other ships are only available for real money. In addition, some ships are only available for subscribers. This system would give everyone, even the truly F2P, some level of choice and customization, but would also provide some strong temptation for people to lay down money.

I don’t know how feasible this is. In the grand scheme of things, however, it seems like a win-win for EA/BW and players. It gives us players more variety in game play and something we have been asking for. For BW, it seems as if the return on investment to make this happen could be huge.

Good to see another pilot. There are many ideas and complaints about the current statte of space content within TOR. Follow the link in my sig for the unofficial space combat thread that has been going on since before launch. I too hope for more meaning with regards to space and welcome any and all ideas to further what should have been a key asset to TOR.

I simply don't see "space" as a winning gamble for Bioware. What we have was what they designed after 5-6 years development, 800 employees and ~$200 million. I have no faith that they'd build a better system with less time, $ and resources.

Well, the idea here is to put something in the game that people have been asking for and that will hold their attention, without a huge outpouring of time and money from Bioware. Putting in full-fledged simulator-style space combat would likely cost a lot in development money and time like you suggest. My idea is to take a bunch of preexisting elements and mash them together to create something new - free-roaming space combat around the fleet. Bioware earns money if this keeps people subscribed, brings them back, or they sell ships in the cash shop.