Please change the way guardians hold their lightsaber

gofortheko

Seriously, if I wanted to play baseball I would have bought MLB 2012. There are plenty of better looking stances you can do, even a google search would produce many that are better than what you gave the guardian. I don't want to be sith, but the guardian lookin so foolish is disappointing.

Seriously, if I wanted to play baseball I would have bought MLB 2012. There are plenty of better looking stances you can do, even a google search would produce many that are better than what you gave the guardian. I don't want to be sith, but the guardian lookin so foolish is disappointing.

i would trade you any day for the sith one i LOVE the guardian stance and their animations better but my jugg is allready decently geared and i'm a sith at heart i love my dark side powers lol so i don't play my guardian much

I think your stance should be based on your current saber form. Soresu is a defensive stance, so a Defense Guardian should be holding the blade in front of him to fend off attacks.

But the attack animations are very good IMO. One good thing about vigilance is all the Master Strikes :p

The guardian holds their saber just like Qui-gon and Obi-wan from episode one before their final fight with Darth Maul. It's a classic guard stance that has been used with 2 handed weapons for centuries.

They way they hold their saber is fine. If you want to get anything changed, I would push for a /HOOD command first and foremost.

Guardian stance is arguably the most realistic one in ToR. Granted, the hilt needs to be held a little higher and the knees look a bit weak (still better than dual-wielding stance), but it's OK-ish.

I'm more concerned about how broad and unrealistic the vast majority of the swings are. Not even mentioning front flip+reverse grip stab animation on Shatter\Rupture.

Edited by Helig

I'm basically ok with the stance during a fight.

When the Guardian is running around from place to place with both hands locked desperately on the hilt in an awkward unbalancing ape grip, however, it looks beyond stupid, and don't even get me started on Blade Storm.

Though at least we have Master Strike. I think on the whole Consulars have it worse, and that's saying something. :/

Edited by Quething

The guardian holds their saber just like Qui-gon and Obi-wan from episode one before their final fight with Darth Maul. It's a classic guard stance that has been used with 2 handed weapons for centuries.

They way they hold their saber is fine. If you want to get anything changed, I would push for a /HOOD command first and foremost.

This entire post cannot be emphasized enough. Every sentence

At least we have a unique stance. The Jugg/Sage/Sorc ones look almost the exact same.

Edited by Stncold

The Jugg/Sage/Sorc ones look almost the exact same.

Not the sorc. He wields his lightsaber the blade up, while the Juggernaut and Sage wields it with the blade down.

Even Sages and Juggs doesn't have the exact same stance. Sages put their off-hand front putting the lightsaber behind, while the Jugg faces front putting both hands perfectly at sides.

-----

Said that, the Guardian stance is fine. While looking like baseball stance, it is the more generic stance ever seen for Jedi.

Not the sorc. He wields his lightsaber the blade up, while the Juggernaut and Sage wields it with the blade down.

Even Sages and Juggs doesn't have the exact same stance. Sages put their off-hand front putting the lightsaber behind, while the Jugg faces front putting both hands perfectly at sides.

-----

Said that, the Guardian stance is fine. While looking like baseball stance, it is the more generic stance ever seen for Jedi.

Well yea. Keyword almost.

ok I am fine with the stance, but the run animation if straight retarded.

Actually Guard's run animation is pretty... Knightly. European swordsmen often held swords close to the shoulder when they charged on foot. Granted, this was meant to manage the weapon's weight and thus would not really apply to a lightsaber but hey - could be worse. A lot worse.

Actually Guard's run animation is pretty... Knightly. European swordsmen often held swords close to the shoulder when they charged on foot. Granted, this was meant to manage the weapon's weight and thus would not really apply to a lightsaber but hey - could be worse. A lot worse.

Could be a lot, SHOULD be a lot better. A light saber at most weighs a few pounds, there is no reason to use 2 hands when running. Light saber combat is far closer to fencing than European knight sword fighting, and you'd be hard pressed to find a fencer who would run with two hands holding his or her weapon.

Could be a lot, SHOULD be a lot better. A light saber at most weighs a few pounds, there is no reason to use 2 hands when running. Light saber combat is far closer to fencing than European knight sword fighting, and you'd be hard pressed to find a fencer who would run with two hands holding his or her weapon.

Well, lightsabers do have a gyroscopic effect. They're light but they resist changing alignment.

Besides, only one Form is really close to fencing - it's Makashi, Form II. Guardians specialize in Form V - aggressive, power-based Form, Form I, which draws a lot from Samurai arts (During Force Wars followers of Ashla and Bogan were depicted as carrying Katana-like weapons), and Form III, which is heavily defensive and has the blade moving close to the center of the Jedi's mass, and is suitable for both hard blocks, and gentle deflects\redirects.

So I'd say it wouldn't be *too* far from being truthful.

Edited by Helig

Real European swords weighed at most a few pounds. The super heavy stuff you see talked about all the time is all ceremonial weapons that were very decorated and not used in actual combat.

It doesn't matter how realistic it is if it looks stupid.

I mean, do we complain that gunslingers and mercenaries run around dual-wielding blasters even though dual-wielding guns is possibly the most inane and ineffective way to try to hurt someone in the history of firearms? No. Because it looks bloody freakin awesome, and you feel like a supercool badarse swinging your twin pistols around. The reverse is also true. It doesn't matter how ~authentic~ the Guardian run stance is or isn't, that question isn't even on the table. What matters is that it makes you look like a total goon, and one does not play a Jedi Knight in a video game because one wants to look like a total goon.

Edited by Quething

Few things more satisfying in this game than standing at the end of the voidstar bridge as forces have activated the node and they are racing across...with only a Jedi Guardian and their ignited saber standing between them and the door...ready for action.

Its a great image.

I mean, do we complain that gunslingers and mercenaries run around dual-wielding blasters even though dual-wielding guns is possibly the most inane and ineffective way to try to hurt someone in the history of firearms? No. Because it looks bloody freakin awesome, and you feel like a supercool badarse swinging your twin pistols around. The reverse is also true. It doesn't matter how ~authentic~ the Guardian run stance is or isn't, that question isn't even on the table. What matters is that it makes you look like a total goon, and one does not play a Jedi Knight in a video game because one wants to look like a total goon.

This reminds me of the time I tried to shoot two pistols at the same time. All I'll say is, if somebody was attacking me, they would be safest running towards me in a straight line, lol

Incidentally, the knights "introspection" ability is what Qui-Gon does before facing Maul in episode 1, and the inquisitors "seethe" is what Maul does during that same time :p

Entirely subjective. Personally I'm satisfied with Guardian run animation\stance and I don't share your sentiment that it makes them look like a "total goon". Maybe it does with body type 3, but what doesn't with this build...

• 2 weeks later...
This reminds me of the time I tried to shoot two pistols at the same time. All I'll say is, if somebody was attacking me, they would be safest running towards me in a straight line, lol

Reminds me of the first time I fired a shotgun in real life. How the Scoundrel managed to fire one one handed with his/her weaker hand (since apparently all of the PCs are right handed) is anyone's guess...

Reminds me of the first time I fired a shotgun in real life. How the Scoundrel managed to fire one one handed with his/her weaker hand (since apparently all of the PCs are right handed) is anyone's guess...

they uh... hmn. they work out? they have cybernetics-enforced left hands? the scatter guns are extra light?