The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Sith in reality

CthulhuRyleh

I find that the Sith order could not truly prosper. With a system where you kill your master because they are weaker than you will leave many empty spots in their order. In the real world I just could not see them really building themselves up to a point where they are so numerous and a huge threat to none Sith.

I'd like to hear other peoples opinions and ideas on this idea.

What would the Sith be like on the planet earth?

I think their order would die out so quickly they'd be barley a footnote in history.

I've made this point before, and it goes beyond the apprentice destroying master problem. Broadening it out, I don't see how a government like the Empire could ever prosper on the scale we see in the game. They do not pride selflessness or sacrifice or teamwork. Everything is about individual glory. Betrayal is commonplace. Everyone is always conspiring to destroy those above them to add to their own power. And especially when you look at the Sith, these concepts are like their religion. If such a society truly existed, corruption would be so massive nothing would ever get done.

I've made this point before, and it goes beyond the apprentice destroying master problem. Broadening it out, I don't see how a government like the Empire could ever prosper on the scale we see in the game. They do not pride selflessness or sacrifice or teamwork. Everything is about individual glory. Betrayal is commonplace. Everyone is always conspiring to destroy those above them to add to their own power. And especially when you look at the Sith, these concepts are like their religion. If such a society truly existed, corruption would be so massive nothing would ever get done.

So they say, but that didn't stop the USSR from existing hehe, it's surprising how fear and control keeps the most corrupt systems stable, then again no Empire has lasted

I don't think enough humans would go along with the beliefs of the Sith to be honest (And this is coming from a die hard Sith). Sith academy's are very tough on who they let through as well. It seems that they are tough in some stages which can be hard to get anyone through, and then in other stages they let anyone in. Schools of Sith training would be more likely to do well on Earth rather than individuals training individuals.

So they say, but that didn't stop the USSR from existing hehe, it's surprising how fear and control keeps the most corrupt systems stable, then again no Empire has lasted

Your comparison makes no sense. The Soviet Union was a communist state where concepts of self sacrifice and the common good are valued above all else. The Empire is essentially the exact opposite of these ideals. Now, the Soviet Union didn't live up to those ideals, but they certainly preached them.

There is no real world comparison to the type of government we see on the Imperial side of this game, at least not in modern society. Plenty of evil despots, but nothing close to the ideals they preach. You could perhaps compare the Empire to Sparta, but even Sparta prized teamwork as it was essential to the Hoplite phalanx and their way of battle. The problem with the Empire is that they preach too much individualism on top of their concept of strength. Even the strong operate better when they are helping each other. When everyone is in direct competition for power at every level, you'd have virtual anarchy. There is no way you can take over and manage a large Empire when everyone at every level has to worry about their immediate subordinate literally stabbing them in the back at any moment.

A Sith Empire in reality would be some form of combination of the most corrupt era of the Roman Empire with Nazi influences. It makes much more sense if you replace the concept of Roman politicians during that era with the Sith. You have to keep in mind Sith aren't the warrior/fighting force of the Sith Empire. They're the ruling class, not the fighting class. Now they do fight, but that is much more a product of Star Wars lore itself than practicality. They are much more like politicians that enforce their rule through threat of violence than, say, comparing them to a military force.

The actual military of the Empire is rather tightly knit, from my observation. If you do any sort of quest chain on the Imperial Agent concerning your common Imperial persona, they are still scheming and politicking, but -far- more cohesive a fighting force than any Sith.

While I think this is a silly exercise in "what if", it's still entirely plausible a "real" Sith Empire would work -very- well in our society. Simply think of the Sith as politicians instead of warriors. It's an easy image, really - just imagine a politician from one of your country's political parties trying to cooperate with another politician with opposite views of how it should be done. See how cooperative they are. That's how the Sith are.

If you can't make that comparison, then keep in mind that sith have lazorpewpew swords and -magic-. That's how they hold together a Sith Empire. I, personally, wouldn't **** with the magic lasersword person if they came around and told me to do something.

Edited by NomineImperator

Your comparison makes no sense. The Soviet Union was a communist state where concepts of self sacrifice and the common good are valued above all else. The Empire is essentially the exact opposite of these ideals. Now, the Soviet Union didn't live up to those ideals, but they certainly preached them.

There is no real world comparison to the type of government we see on the Imperial side of this game, at least not in modern society. Plenty of evil despots, but nothing close to the ideals they preach. You could perhaps compare the Empire to Sparta, but even Sparta prized teamwork as it was essential to the Hoplite phalanx and their way of battle. The problem with the Empire is that they preach too much individualism on top of their concept of strength. Even the strong operate better when they are helping each other. When everyone is in direct competition for power at every level, you'd have virtual anarchy. There is no way you can take over and manage a large Empire when everyone at every level has to worry about their immediate subordinate literally stabbing them in the back at any moment.

I think it fits very well, the Empire for example does preach duty and sacrifice to the Empire just as the USSR did, they both believe themselves to be more pure than their corrupt democratic counterpart, but suffer from complete internal corruption where different powerbases play against each other and backstab each other for power, the only difference is that the Imperial population doesn't lack as much in quality of life goods, equal good in killing their own though

Edited by SNCommand

I find that the Sith order could not truly prosper. With a system where you kill your master because they are weaker than you will leave many empty spots in their order. In the real world I just could not see them really building themselves up to a point where they are so numerous and a huge threat to none Sith.

I'd like to hear other peoples opinions and ideas on this idea.

What would the Sith be like on the planet earth?

I think their order would die out so quickly they'd be barley a footnote in history.

The sith order is really no different than the Mafia or Biker gang. There is always someone that wants more power or money and is willing to kill to get it.

I think it fits very well, the Empire for example does preach duty and sacrifice to the Empire just as the USSR did, they both believe themselves to be more pure than their corrupt democratic counterpart, but suffer from complete internal corruption where different powerbases play against each other and backstab each other for power, the only difference is that the Imperial population doesn't lack as much in quality of life goods, equal good in killing their own though

You cannot compare the internal struggles for power under the Soviet Union to what we see among the Sith. Yes, modern tyrants are known to purge political opposition, but the Sith do it at every level. Your average bureaucrat in the Soviet Union wasn't constantly in fear that the guy directly under him was going to murder him to move up one rung. That is the Sith religion.

Well even among the Sith there are rules regarding killing each other off. This is evident in the Inq story where Thanaton is constantly complaining that the inq isn't following tradition and the rules set. Of course that doesn't stop Sith from ignoring the rules, but they are punished if caught/unsuccessful. Also remember that the dark council, those who directly serve the emperor, and the emperor himself maintain order through fear/force. But keep in mind that Bane eventually came to the conclusion that an empire full of Sith was destined to fall due to the in fighting and thus established the rule of two.

Well even among the Sith there are rules regarding killing each other off. This is evident in the Inq story where Thanaton is constantly complaining that the inq isn't following tradition and the rules set. Of course that doesn't stop Sith from ignoring the rules, but they are punished if caught/unsuccessful. Also remember that the dark council, those who directly serve the emperor, and the emperor himself maintain order through fear/force. But keep in mind that Bane eventually came to the conclusion that an empire full of Sith was destined to fall due to the in fighting and thus established the rule of two.

The rules only seem to apply at the very top. Thanaton was mad because a Darth was usurped. And even then, he was portrayed as "old school," and the rest of the Dark Council didn't seem to care. At the academy, the rules about killing fellow students are routinely ignored, and that seems to apply at pretty much every level.