Character Analysis: Atton Rand

Wolfninjajedi

I know its late(or at least here on the East Coast it is) for this sort of thing, but am wanting to get this character down while I still have what I want to say in my head. Lest i'll forget it, and then it'll become harder to type it all out...anyway here is my next analysis thread on Atton Rand.

=====================

"In the end, she sacrificed herself to keep my secret, to prevent the Sith from knowing about that touch of the Force inside me. She wasted her life to save me. Me."

―Atton

Atton or by his nickname known as "Jaq" was a pilot and one of the lost jedi who helped the Exile fight against what was left of Revan's Empire...or the Sith Triumvirate. Before that though he joined the Republic Military and followed Revan during the mandalorian wars, and when Revan became a dark lord of the sith he defected and was put through intense training into becoming a jedi hunter. However eventually he met with a female jedi, who opened to him revealing that he was Force Sensitive and that he too would someday be converted, and so not wanting to deal with it anymore he fled to Nar Shadda and went into hiding.

Sometime later he was aboard the Peragus mining facility in which he was imprisoned for some security violation and that is where he met the Exile and Kreia who worked together with them to escape the facility, from there they headed to Telos and met with jedi master Atris before leaving on a galaxy spanning journey to stop the sith. Sometime after, Atton told his story to the Exile who forgave him for what he had done and then reawakened the Force within him turning Atton from a scoundrel into a Jedi Sentinel.

Atton was skilled in combat even before becoming a Jedi, being able to handle pistols and a practitoner of Echani combat. He was also contempt in slicing, and was also considered an exceptional pilot and even having some mechanical skills to boot. Atton also had a great mental defense with which to be unoticed by jedi and even some sith that he worked for, and it also gave him some resistance to force powers his defense was so strong that even Kreia had to put effort into probing his mind.

Atton's personality changes around some, he grew to despise the Jedi Order viewing them as hypocrites, cowards who swore loyalty to the Republic but didn't help when the time called for it. He saw Revan as a leader and savior, someone who he would travel to the ends of the galaxy with. He has a laid back attitude, and also having an irrational hatred for droids, saying that they can't be trusted. Having been tricked and betrayed numorous times, Atton is slow to trust anyone yet appreciates when others trust him, and wanting to impress those people so that they don't think badly of him.

As a jedi he learned to balance between using the force and his lightsaber skills, even gaining a natural affinity for certain mind powers such as Force Fear and Force Stun.

All in all Atton Rand is a great character overall, well written, having a very nice balance in personality too. He isn't serious all the time, he can even be a bit funny, but when the time comes he is serious when he needs to be.

He's basically Han Solo as a jedi. I find him an amazing character. Just wish there was a tad more dialog with him like the handmaiden or Visas. I felt he was a tad under used for lines.

The first impression is that of Han Solo, but they are very different, I think. Atton's past is a lot darker than Han Solo's. And he is a lot less relaxed than Han Solo. Han Solo is the cool scoundrel, while Atton only pretends to be the cool scoundrel to hide what he really is.

Everything IHMO, of course.

Tip of the hat to one of my favorite ladies in his last name. I laughed when I saw it and then after 4 play throughs of the game I saw the only video game character ever written that perfectly conformed to her philosophy at every turn.

I actually think he is such a good character, a force sensitive that has a technique to shield his mind from unwanted access. He worked for the sith as a jedi hunter. But quit when he fell for one. Also his Rougish charm is just brilliant.

Also i wish Obisidan had added a developing romance for the female exile to KOTOR II, i really didn't like how her story ended in the Revan book, she deserved better. She deserved this handsome man to love her and not let her go Rescue Revan alone.

Edited by BenjaminminU