Disney says LucasArts to focus on mobile and social gaming going forward

LarenDahe

*bangs head on desk if true* Someone, quickly... we need a time travel machine and a gun. I can stop this.

Seriously though, I know I shouldn't be forcing my views on others, but I hate this mobile gaming bandwagon. Some people want to blame the lack of new IPs solely on the AAA sequels every year but that's not doing it alone. Deep down I just figure we're missing out on the next great thing while they're trying to stock the app store with cheap games.

Although they did say they'll be licensing out as they've done in the past for console games, but 1313 felt like a new direction for LucasArts. Then again, it could suck, so who knows.

In the news of LucasFilms, new movies funded by Disney can't be any worse than George Lucas releasing the original Trilogy every few years with horrible changes... Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...

After all, there's profit to be had. Then again, Joss Whedon and Marvel so it's not like they're completely evil.

What, you hadn't heard of Angry Birds Star Wars? And that's been in the works for ages. Nothing new, everything will be fine.

Angry birds as a race in the star wars universe would be a billion times better than jar jar and the gungans

Yeah but that wasn't LucasArts focusing on it, that was licensing out to the Angry birds folks wasn't it? On the other hand, you've got LucasArts working with the Films section to make 1313. Supposedly what dear leader of Disney said it'll be changing that up to where LucasArts is focusing on social/mobile and licensing out for console games. Which admittedly, in the case of KotoR it works out great, but it just sucks to see them saying they're going to focus on that sort of stuff in house.

I was kind of looking forward to their new direction of doing their own games.

They plan on making Episode 7 in 2015.

Disney expects to more aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule, Iger said in a statement. Following the release of Episode 7 in 2015, "our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

Wonder which era that would focus on.

It was announced a while back that Lucasarts would be more of a publisher than a developer from now on, letting other studios do the development work for their big games. I imagine that they'll have full license agreements like they do with EA, where another company will be publisher for AAA titles, while smaller mobile and social games will be directly done by Lucasarts.

Interestingly enough I find this era of the Star Wars universe (the Old Republic) to be one of the most fascinating.

It's full of potential and depth.... I just imagine there would be too much complication in making movies of this era, but I'd love to see it.