New to SWTOR

thededman

Just purchased and installed the game and it is updating as I type this

I am sure I am going to want to be some sort of light sabre wielding character, and most likely want to "side" with the rebellion. And since I am new I would be mostly soloing , I would prefer to play something that could do so

Any suggestions?

Are there any non combat/support things to do? (i.e. fishing, mining, weaving etc.)

Anything that a lowbie obtains through leveling/grinding that has a demand/value? (i.e. crystals in FFxi and FFxiv)

If you are going to be playing by yourself then it would help if you played as a tank (jedi knight or sith warrior). Since you want a lightsaber and be part of the rebellion then choose the jedi knight as your class. As for non combat stuff to do, there are your crew skills. Edited by MichaelRamon

I am sure I am going to want to be some sort of light sabre wielding character, and most likely want to "side" with the rebellion. And since I am new I would be mostly soloing , I would prefer to play something that could do so

Any suggestions?

Are there any non combat/support things to do? (i.e. fishing, mining, weaving etc.)

Anything that a lowbie obtains through leveling/grinding that has a demand/value? (i.e. crystals in FFxi and FFxiv)

Ahem, cough... there is no "rebellion" in this game. Personally I prefer to play a healer, the tank companion that we have is pretty good and it makes in easier to solo in my opinion.

Any suggestions?

There is no rebellion to side with. This game takes place during the time of the Old Republic. The Republic is going strong and is at war with the Sith.

No fishing, but there is resource gathering for crafting. The good thing is that your companions will do it for you so you can focus on crafting.

Crew skills. When it comes time to pick your crew skills I highly suggest you choose only gathering skills, Slicing in particular. You're going to need the $$$ as you level, Slicing provides credits, and with other gathering skills you can sell whatever you gather on the GTN to bring in even more credits. Believe me- as satisfying as it is to make your own saber crystals and/or gear, with your first character it's a lot easier to level when you're not broke.

welcome to SWTOR!

if you want a class with a lightsaber you'll have to pick either jedi knight or jedi consular (the rebellion being the establishment in SWTOR, the Republic)

Pretty much all classes can complete the planet missions and their class story without any difficulty (especially if you've player other RPGs).

The jedi knight story is more "epic" (more KOTOR like) while the jedi consular is more "diplomatic" and "community service" oriented.

Jedi knight:

guardian can tank or dps (one saber)

sentinel can only dps (two sabers)

jedi consular:

sage can heal or dps (caster so you won't get to hit things with the lightsaber)

shadow can tank or dps (melee with double-bladed saber)

Edited by Oggthebase

Some of the things you can craft sell pretty nicely, even the low level stuff. From the things a Jedi Knight could make:

- If you pick Artifice, color crystals

- If you pick Synthweaving, augments and augment kits

- If you pick Cybertech, armorings and mods (and I would guess earpieces - my Cybertech character is still a total lowbie).

You will not be swimming in credits, but you should make enough to finance your leveling.

There is no rebellion to side with. This game takes place during the time of the Old Republic. The Republic is going strong and is at war with the Sith.

Actually the rebellion in SWTOR, if you come to think of it, is actually the Sith Empire. The rebellion against the Republic and their order of Jedi has been going on for a couple of hundred years, and has been pretty successful for the most part.

So to the OP, if you really want to join a rebellion, come to the Dark Side and join the might of the Sith. Darkness-specced Assassin or Immortal/Vengence (Hybrid)-specced Juggernaut is what you want to be if you are looking to try tanking (they are Force-users). But you don't have to be a tank to be able to solo stuff in the 1-49 category, you can be a DPS with a healer companion. And at level 50, each role (DPS, tank and healer) will have an important part to play in their group.

For the crew missions, if you pvp a lot, you should pick up either cybertech (for grenades) or biochem (for reusable health/stim packs). Even if you do not pvp often, they will still come in handy during your end-game raids.

Trust me, money will not be an issue once you get to level 50.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.