What's expected of me when I'm asked to "CC a Mob"?

noodles_ar

I've never been a tank myself but yes CC is crowd control and mob is the enemy. As far as I know the best abilities are the ones that cause more aggro so that the mob attacks you. As for which abilities as a scoundrel you use I have no idea but in sure someone will enlighten us :)

CC is "Crowd Control", right?

a "Mob" is a enemy, right?

What ability should I use (Scoundrel) to accomplish this most effectively?

First of all, if there are any living targets/humans/animals/non-droids, you go stealth and put them to sleep (and remember to always always always use sneak before going close enough to tranquilize) this needs to be the first cc done before any none stealth cc is used, as it can't be used in combat, but also does not start combat.

Second thing you do if there are droids, use slice droid.

Edited by Eternalnight

CC is "Crowd Control", right?

a "Mob" is a enemy, right?

What ability should I use (Scoundrel) to accomplish this most effectively?

correct, and correct. CCs are pretty much skills that keep a mob incapacitated for a duration. you usually use them to make fights easier, as you'll have less mobs attacking you all at once.

when people ask you to cc a mob, they usually mean to use a 60 second cc, as there are some ccs that last for shorter amounts of time. scoundrels get two of these: tranquilizer and droid hack. tranquilizer can only be used on organic mobs (humanoids, wild life, etc. doesn't work on droids) and can only be used when you are in stealth and out of combat. that means you should use tranquilizer before the fight begins, or else you can't use it until the next battle. droid hack only works on droids, turrets, etc. and can be used in combat and out of stealth. also has no cool down time, so you can use it again right away if needbe.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: you can only use tranquilizer and droid hack on one enemy at a time per smuggler. ie. one smuggler can only have one mob in a group under traquilizer and one mob in a group under droid hack. so you can't droid hack two droids at once. it doesn't work that way.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: don't use AOE attacks around mobs that are under cc, as that will break the cc and cause them to start fighting.

hope this helps.

Edited by happysister

The scoundrel has two CC abilities. The tranquilizer dart, which, as noted above, works on organic enemies; and Slice Droid which, obviously, works on droids. It takes them out of the fight for a fair duration (I believe it's 60 seconds), and allows you to even the odds in a fight. Be aware that while tranquilizer dart will not break stealth, the use of Slice Droid WILL (this ability has a nice, long range, though so just make sure your standing a bit away from the enemy when you go to use it.

In addition to Happysister's excellent advice, I would suggest choosing a target that is separate from the rest, when the environment layout allows it. If the rest of the mobs are standing close together and one is kind of on the outside, that's your cc target. It's a small thing, but it will help enable your party to use AOE damage without the risk of accidentally catching your cc target in the damage and setting him free.

I've never been a tank myself but yes CC is crowd control and mob is the enemy. As far as I know the best abilities are the ones that cause more aggro so that the mob attacks you. As for which abilities as a scoundrel you use I have no idea but in sure someone will enlighten us :)

Scoundrels do not tank - you are getting CC's confused with taunts. Taunts force mobs to attack the taunter - a bad thing for anyone who is not a tank. Crowd Control takes the target mob out of the fight until the CC is broken (either through damage or timing out) - Whirlwind, the Inquisitor CC, has a fairly obvious visual compared to most CC's.

I think this guys going to make you pay for the rest of his answer he doesn't seem to want to get it all out.

His answer was short and sweet, but complete.

Although, I have found, as a scoundrel, if the tank and dps are somewhat newbish, it's not unusual for the healer to play the role of tank...:mad:

The scoundrel's tranq dart, as well as the shadow's stealth cc (don't know what it's called) both require non-combat to work.

But the main thing I would emphasize is to NOT break cc if you are DPS, though occasionally some tanks (who shall remain nameless :rolleyes:) have been known to drop an aoe without thinking and wake a mob up too early...

Something else not mentioned:

tranquilizer dart can only be used out of combat and cannot be applied once in combat (sometimes I go to tranq a target and I get an anxious tank or DPS who pulls too soon and I can no longer CC with tranq dart)

Slice droid can be used in and out of combat and can be reapplied (sometimes a droid breaks free due to AOE damage or an over zealous tank or DPS wanting to attack too many targets, when this happens I can CC that droid or a completely different one to make damage taken more manageable.)

Something else not mentioned:

tranquilizer dart can only be used out of combat and cannot be applied once in combat (sometimes I go to tranq a target and I get an anxious tank or DPS who pulls too soon and I can no longer CC with tranq dart)

Slice droid can be used in and out of combat and can be reapplied (sometimes a droid breaks free due to AOE damage or an over zealous tank or DPS wanting to attack too many targets, when this happens I can CC that droid or a completely different one to make damage taken more manageable.)

was mentioned, but definitely worth repeating.