Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Tank sorc in PvP

UGLYMRJ

Something I want to experiment with at some point but haven't had the chance to yet.

So first the obvious....

All inquisitors wear light armor. From there you can go sorcerer who can either heal.... or DPS.

The other option is to go assassin. From there you can tank or DPS.

We all know sorcs are generally squishy and pretty much get targeted and marked as soon as they even throw out an off heal. Even as a DPS spec'd sorc I get marked constantly.

What if....

One was to spec heals.... and wear full assassin tank gear? :D

You're pretty much guaranteed to get marked especially if you're doing nothing but healing. The results could be pretty awesome and something I plan on doing at some point. The heals would suck but it would be hilarious to watch the frustration of people trying to kill a tanky healer. :D

Something I want to experiment with at some point but haven't had the chance to yet.

So first the obvious....

All inquisitors wear light armor. From there you can go sorcerer who can either heal.... or DPS.

The other option is to go assassin. From there you can tank or DPS.

We all know sorcs are generally squishy and pretty much get targeted and marked as soon as they even throw out an off heal. Even as a DPS spec'd sorc I get marked constantly.

What if....

One was to spec heals.... and wear full assassin tank gear? :D

You're pretty much guaranteed to get marked especially if you're doing nothing but healing. The results could be pretty awesome and something I plan on doing at some point. The heals would suck but it would be hilarious to watch the frustration of people trying to kill a tanky healer. :D

my dps sage is sometimes a tank by accident. I run into area of objective we are fighting for and I pull aggro on every leaper in vicinity plus 2 of their ranged dps also. I try and use cloud mind on them but I dont think it works :)

II don't even think the assassin tank gear is enough for even a tank assassin to bother with. One other problem in this games PvP is tanking means very little.

I think it would add enough survivability on top of the tools that a sorc has to escape to lead to a team basically stacking half a team on you and not even noticing that your heals are really lousy. :D

I just think it would be a funny troll idea for PvP. 4/5 games you're getting focused as a sorc... if guarded AND tank gear AND healing yourself... I think a sorc could damn near tank and kite half a team easily. Pretty much anyone would bite and just focus it near the entire game.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I think it would add enough survivability on top of the tools that a sorc has to escape to lead to a team basically stacking half a team on you and not even noticing that your heals are really lousy. :D

I just think it would be a funny troll idea for PvP. 4/5 games you're getting focused as a sorc... if guarded AND tank gear AND healing yourself... I think a sorc could damn near tank and kite half a team easily. Pretty much anyone would bite and just focus it near the entire game.

I did that on merc. Actually managed to get 4 players to chase me around as our ball carrier walked right on by, as I kept to LOS, stun, mez, root and KB'ed them away I guess you could do that on a sorcerer easier with the bubble and whirlwind if specced into having at an instant cast to keep people occupied, but I don't think you need tank gear or that it would help enough to be worth it..

I did that on merc. Actually managed to get 4 players to chase me around as our ball carrier walked right on by, as I kept to LOS, stun, mez, root and KB'ed them away I guess you could do that on a sorcerer easier with the bubble and whirlwind if specced into having at an instant cast to keep people occupied, but I don't think you need tank gear or that it would help enough to be worth it..

That's why I was thinking of it... especially after 1.4 it's pretty easy to keep a few players occupied already. Would be even easier and funnier if I could survive a decent amount of damage.

Sorc in tank gear ? I don't think it would work.

Maybe you can manage something if you take only an half of the tank gear, the one with Defense rate, the other half with Shield and Absorb rate are useless because you can't use Shields. Mix it with some Power type gear to increase the power of your heals, because it will be your only way to "tank" you'll never have the damage reduction of a tank either.

But as a former PvP-tank, I'll say you that stacking Defense rate will not help you much. It becomes really effictive only when you have a good baseline, and it can only be achieved with talents.

Edited by Altheran

Sorc in tank gear ? I don't think it would work.

Maybe you can if you take only an half of the tank gear, the one with Defense rate, the other half with Shield and Absorb rate are useless because you can't use Shields. Mix it with some Power type gear to increase the power of your heals, because it will be your only way to "tank" you'll never have the damage reduction of a tank either.

I BELIEVE.... still haven't tried it but I think that a sorc would be the one class that doesn't have a tank spec that would still be able to equip a tanks focus because of the assassin...

A merc can't use a shield generator from a PT because it needs to be a ranged offhand, a marauder can't because it needs to be a melee offhand... but correct me if I'm wrong here.... but doesn't a sorc AND assassin BOTH use a focus offhand?

Of course you wouldn't be as tanky... but with the sorcs tools you could tank enough to kite half of the team around for most of the game.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I would say survivability would be better if you made sure you could heal yourself decently and use your utility. Even if you can make use of the tank gear, you are not going to be able to eat the damage. Assassins don't even really eat the damage as much as they do mitigate it with the dark charge, defensive CDs and a couple self heals. Edited by Technohic

A merc can't use a shield generator from a PT because it needs to be a ranged offhand, a marauder can't because it needs to be a melee offhand... but correct me if I'm wrong here.... but doesn't a sorc AND assassin BOTH use a focus offhand?

Focus and Shields are different items. Assassins get the ability to use both, but Sorc only get the ability to use Focus.

You could try stacking Defense and Endurance, but Shield*, Absorption, and Accuracy are all going to be a waste. I don't think that you can get any Enhancements or Mods that don't have at least one of those useless stats on them so you won't be able to build a BiS kit.

* Sorcerers cannot equip off-hand items that can proc shield.

Edited by Darth_Philar

Wouldn't work at all. First, sorcerers can't equip shields, so shield and absorb ratings from the tanking gear set are useless. Second, assassins are able to tank even though they wear light armor because their tank stance gives them a huge armor rating boost, another ability that sorcs don't have. All the tank gear would do for a sorc is increase endurance, but that stat isn't enough to make someone a tank.

Wouldn't work.... can't equip anything other than a melee weapon in offhand.

Just use "defense" pieces since it is the only viable tank stat in PvP. Maras/Sents could use war leader pieces for higher defense, but lose on DPS output. Most of the high DPS output is spec/talent though, so getting some defensive stats would make them a bit more "balanced" in the realm of give & take.

Like Main/DEF mods & SUR/DEF enhancements. Same thing with a Sage healer, but you miss out on POW contribution to healing. When 1.2 dropped I put some BiS Defense ENH in three pieces to help avoid the melee train. It worked fairly well.

Focus and Shields are different items. Assassins get the ability to use both, but Sorc only get the ability to use Focus.

Having not rolled an assassin or tank jug yet I coulda swore that they used a focus offhand for tanking... not a shield.

You could try stacking Defense and Endurance, but Shield*, Absorption, and Accuracy are all going to be a waste. I don't think that you can get any Enhancements or Mods that don't have at least one of those useless stats on them so you won't be able to build a BiS kit.

* Sorcerers cannot equip off-hand items that can proc shield.

I wouldn't want to put BIS kinda effort into it... I was thinking more along the lines of grinding aug'd BM set, something I could get quickly. Thought it would be funny for a trolling good time and something I'd stream for laughs.

And that's too bad... I thought they would be able to use a tank offhand. Would make for some entertaining footage.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I have personally been considering buying 4 columi survivor shells and putting 61 offhand armorings in them for the set bonus (2 percent damage reduction). I run 2pc pvp static bubble bonus and 2 pc pve innervate bonus right now. With that you would be trading reduced cooldowns for reduced damage. Considering I often take 400k+ dmg in the course of an Alderaan or Voidstar a 20k reduction would essentially be one less death.

I think it would be totally worthwhile for a dps sorc but I am not so sure about healers.

I play a TK spec'd sage. My heals suck. But all it takes is one or two to get marked. And yes, they do chase me to all ends of the map trying to lol smash/sweep me. It's actually been quite fun in recruit gear on the way to BM gear, because there's nothing more satisfying than seeing 1/2 a team deal with me instead of the ones actually doing the dps and healing.

When 4 WH/BM marauders/juggies chase me all match, I win, even if I die every 30 seconds. I just succeeded in 2 minutes of crowd control on half a team of baddies every time I respawn. I can't even recall a time when guarding one objective that the raging bulls didn't chase me for 30 seconds before capping something. It's like they all see noob and have to get some.

I suppose if you want to do that with a dps capable sorc in decent gear, you still win, but to a lesser degree, since you might actually kill some of them along the way. They might actually refocus on the objective when they respawn.

I don't think that you can get any Enhancements or Mods that don't have at least one of those useless stats on them so you won't be able to build a BiS kit.

BM War Leader Enhancements= DEF/SURGE/END/EXP

WH Survivor Mods= DEF/MAIN/END/EXP

Think this might be BiS if you go that route....

Edited by L-RANDLE

I play a TK spec'd sage. My heals suck. But all it takes is one or two to get marked. And yes, they do chase me to all ends of the map trying to lol smash/sweep me. It's actually been quite fun in recruit gear on the way to BM gear, because there's nothing more satisfying than seeing 1/2 a team deal with me instead of the ones actually doing the dps and healing.

When 4 WH/BM marauders/juggies chase me all match, I win, even if I die every 30 seconds. I just succeeded in 2 minutes of crowd control on half a team of baddies every time I respawn. I can't even recall a time when guarding one objective that the raging bulls didn't chase me for 30 seconds before capping something. It's like they all see noob and have to get some.

I suppose if you want to do that with a dps capable sorc in decent gear, you still win, but to a lesser degree, since you might actually kill some of them along the way. They might actually refocus on the objective when they respawn.

It is pretty funny how focused people get on sorcs and will spend half of a match chasing them. Part of what sparked this idea is kiting 2-3 people and laughing as they just don't give up and will completely ignore objectives. Would be even better if I could take some decent damage.

But yeah... I've literally kited people from the doors on voidstar out to the bridge to knock em off. Some of the players in this game have some insane tunnel vision.

^ It would be this, and if you pull it off I can't wait the see the comments in WZ gen chat. :rak_01:

It'll prob be a while... I have some grinding to do on my 50's before I work on my sorc. I was just hoping someone had tried something to this effect just to see if it would be worth the time or if it could even work at all.

I think Randle's got the right idea. I'll def post the vid when I get to it.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

It is pretty funny how focused people get on sorcs and will spend half of a match chasing them. Part of what sparked this idea is kiting 2-3 people and laughing as they just don't give up and will completely ignore objectives. Would be even better if I could take some decent damage.

But yeah... I've literally kited people from the doors on voidstar out to the bridge to knock em off. Some of the players in this game have some insane tunnel vision.

Get (or gift throught legacy)7EA BM War Leader Boots for the ENHs and 7EA BM Survivor chest for the MODs. And report back, but understand. You are stacking to win the first roll in the damage calc, having the POW to down/heal through an attacker is gone. You must kite ur arse off and spec all points for increased healing/damage output, and say screw to force management and survivability...

Get (or gift throught legacy)7EA BM War Leader Boots for the ENHs and 7EA BM Survivor chest for the MODs. And report back, but understand. You are stacking to win the first roll in the damage calc, having the POW to down/heal through an attacker is gone. You must kite ur arse off and spec all points for increased healing/damage output, and say screw to force management and survivability...

So basically less survivability and a waste of time?

Way to rain on my parade.... :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.