PvP vs PvE gear

DarthHuss

Forgive me for sounding like a noob. This is my first (and only) MMO, and i just reached level 50 with my marauder. I got the free recruit gear and was wondering can i use this gear for pve. the pvp gear has all plus stats over the gear i was wearing. Is it a bad thing to use pvp gear for pve? if so why?

Yes you can. Stick to tier 1 content until you start collecting some of the actual pve gear. Won't take you long to get columi.

Tier 1 will be listed in the group finder but Top of my head:

Black talon/esseles

Boarding party/taral v

Foundry/ maelstrom prison

Directive 7

Battle for ilum

False emp

Kaon under siege.

I actually recommend starting them in the above order as the boss fights progressively get harder down to kaon but are all easy with the right group.

You could also to eturnity vault story mode too.

Ps. Sorry for any spelling errors

Yes you can. Stick to tier 1 content until you start collecting some of the actual pve gear. Won't take you long to get columi.

Black talon/esseles

Boarding party/taral v

Directive 7

Battle for ilum

False emp

Kaon under siege.

All but D7 I recommend, you'll get voted off if you start that in recruit gear.

Kicking people out for gear in D7 is stupid considering the boss fight is so mechanic-based (for FP standards) that no amount of gear is going to make it work if the people don't grasp the mechanics (and on the other hand, the fight is so easy once you get them right).

Also, people are spoiled nowadays. I remember running flashpoints back in the days when I was the only semi-Columi geared person in the group, had about 15k hitpoints and was considered overgeared (!) for the hardmodes - sometimes managed to clear HM FPs with a team consisting of mostly 12k-13k characters. Recruit gear is by far enough to beat all HM flashpoints except for Lost Island.

Forgive me for sounding like a noob. This is my first (and only) MMO, and i just reached level 50 with my marauder. I got the free recruit gear and was wondering can i use this gear for pve. the pvp gear has all plus stats over the gear i was wearing. Is it a bad thing to use pvp gear for pve? if so why?

More back on track to the OP, the PvP gear has +Expertise, which is needed to increase your offense/defense in PvP. In PvE, that +Expertise is useless, and you're giving up other stats for that, that instead you should have +(insert your class's core stats). So if you're a Smuggler/Agent, for example, in PvE, if you're wearing PvP gear, you've got a lot of useless +Expertise, when the PvE gear would instead give you (more) +Cunning and +Crit, etc.

For PvE, see the gear vendors around the Columi desk in the station for the various sets available to you that generally will kick the #### out of any Orange gear you have. As said, even Recruit gear is often better than any Orange gear, so is a good starting point to tackle Flashpoints and gather real PvE gear.

More back on track to the OP, the PvP gear has +Expertise, which is needed to increase your offense/defense in PvP. In PvE, that +Expertise is useless, and you're giving up other stats for that, that instead you should have +(insert your class's core stats). So if you're a Smuggler/Agent, for example, in PvE, if you're wearing PvP gear, you've got a lot of useless +Expertise, when the PvE gear would instead give you (more) +Cunning and +Crit, etc.

For PvE, see the gear vendors around the Columi desk in the station for the various sets available to you that generally will kick the #### out of any Orange gear you have. As said, even Recruit gear is often better than any Orange gear, so is a good starting point to tackle Flashpoints and gather real PvE gear.

I agree with this. As a matter of fact, depending on your stat requirements, you may not replace the blue gear until columi level gear starts coming in. I grabbed both tank sets and DPS sets for my shadow consular to run HM FP's. i was sitting in the high 16K health range with respectable mitigation stats (defense, shield, abosrbtion) for a starting tank. DPS stats are similar. The only problem with it is the aforementioned bias...people are just dumb, and they use their uneducated opinions to judge someone in starting PvP gear.

Whats really sad is I'm still using the blue PvP saber for my shadow....it's DPS is higher then anything you get in normal HM FP's. you need to run EC at a bare minimum and get the columi saber to drop to get any better. I'm not even bothering to save up/craft weapons for any of my new 70's...it's a waste of materials and daily comms when you can buy better for less then 20k.

I have a fresh 50 in all recruit gear, are Hard Mode flashpoints the first step in gear progression? I'm afraid I'm not very good at flashpoints due to my subpar graphics card causing lag. Where do dailies fit in? I've only tried them a couple times but the vendors I saw didn't have any armor sets that I noticed. They only had things like Relics that would take me months to farm the commendations for at the rate I play.

Black talon/esseles

Boarding party/taral v

Directive 7

Battle for ilum

False emp

Kaon under siege.

I actually recommend starting them in the above order as the boss fights progressively get harder down to kaon but are all easy with the right group.

You could also to eturnity vault story mode too.

Ps. Sorry for any spelling errors

Thanks for the list.I thinking about trying it.Wouldn't some decent augs help out.

Thanks for the list.I thinking about trying it.Wouldn't some decent augs help out.

Augs always help but aren't needed. They are 30k to insert on gear each plus costs to craft or buy so what I did is waited and aug'd out the gear I would be using for a long while (orange gear).

If you have the creds and the desire then go for it, won't hurt :)

Tier 1 is more about boss mechanics and the group synergy then gear. Tier 2 content and up are where gear really matters in my opinion plus mechanics and group synergy. However, if you are over geared then the boss mechanics become less important as you can power through them, also being over geared will help you carry a group with poor synergy to completion. Again, refering to tier 1 content.

Edited by Shikyo

I have a fresh 50 in all recruit gear, are Hard Mode flashpoints the first step in gear progression? I'm afraid I'm not very good at flashpoints due to my subpar graphics card causing lag. Where do dailies fit in? I've only tried them a couple times but the vendors I saw didn't have any armor sets that I noticed. They only had things like Relics that would take me months to farm the commendations for at the rate I play.

Yes and No. they originally weren't. Normal FP's were the starting point. they dropped tionese comms and had drops that were slight under that. even when the HM's started dropping columi gear, the normals were still a good source for the tionese gear that would allow you to run the HM's.

flash forward to Bio's broken solution for a broken PvP mechanic. with the new entry Blue gear (that actually has purple level stats on them), the normal modes aren't really relevant for gear. They ARE relevant if you don't know how to play your class or how to gear your toon though....and this is important.

ran Kaon Under siege the other day with a scoundrel healer (very good healing class, but not the easiest to heal with). not sure what his gear was, but he was about 2-3k under what I would consider the nominal starting point for HM's (he was at about 13k health...something you surpass even with the entry PvP set. He wasn't familiar with the demand of Hm mode healing at all...it was his first real FP run aside from a few while leveling.

Great guy, but what he really needed were a few (dozen? ) or more low intensity flashpoints to learn the ins- and outs of scoundrel healing, plus some research in specs and such. jumping headfirst into a hard mode without the right gear, without the right training, will net you and your team nasty results very fast. a few HM's like taral V / Black Talon, are very easy to do as HM's, but there is still a gearing/learning curve. but with all that said and if you have all that, then you can grab the blue PvP start stuff and hop right into Hm's with no problems.

The recruit gear is a nice set of gear for a fresh 50. Should be able to run hard mode flashpoints with it to gear up in better PvE gear.

This is as accurate an assessment as you can get or give on this. The Expertise Stat is the only one in that set of gear that is useless in PVE. Make sure all Implants, Relics, etc., are all Level 50 items(Purple or Blue)

A quick tip though: Since most PVP gear is NOT MODIFIABLE, a fresh 50 should keep Orange Pieces(most of these have modification slots) they may currently have for the Chest, Legs, Hands, Gloves and Head. Grab some level 51 mods and upgrade those and also install a Augment slot to max out the gear until you can get some better equipment.

Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.