The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Recruit MK2 good enough for dailies?

Crimson_Grog

Hi everyone,

My powertech is 48 and approaching the time to do dailies. I know the Recruit MK2 gear is for entry pvp, but is it good enough for PvE dailies? Just solo ones, not group.

I don't plan on doing endgame PvE on him yet (working on my other alts first) and I hear you can get this gear for free, so I wouldn't mind using it for a while if it's doable.

Easily.

You can do the dailies in the gear you are wearing now.

Recruit is also good enough for all the hardmode flashpoints (other than Lost island) as long as you know the mechanics (which really aren't all that complex). It is also good enough to do story mode eternity vault and Karraga's Palace, but you need to look up the mechanics of the boss fights as that is the major determination of whether you'll be successful.

I ran all the daily heroics and several HMs with all Mk-1 recruit (though fully augmented for fortitude and power). Recruit mk-2 is even better. In fact, there is no good reason not to go straight from a fresh 50 in mk2 recruit to either columi or BM gear saving up BH comms and ripping out the mods skipping all lesser armors.

Though, if you think you're going to spend any significant amount of time in your recruit, make sure to fully augment it and keep stat increasing stims onhand. If you're smart, never pay more than 32k per mk-6 augment and do not use the expensive 60k+ advanced augments for your recruit gear :-) All in all it shouldn't cost more than 800k to do the whole job (3 days of dailies on Ilum, bel, and the BH).

Though, if you think you're going to spend any significant amount of time in your recruit, make sure to fully augment it and keep stat increasing stims onhand. If you're smart, never pay more than 32k per mk-6 augment and do not use the expensive 60k+ advanced augments for your recruit gear :-) All in all it shouldn't cost more than 800k to do the whole job (3 days of dailies on Ilum, bel, and the BH).

IMO, it's a complete and utter waste to augment recruit gear. It's really low end L50 gear and you can't swap mods in it. Your entire goal on hitting L50 is to replace recruit gear with something better, so why spend a huge amount of credits dumping augments in it? Even if you're not a hardcore player, if you use the groupfinder for HMs and OPs you can replace most of your recruit gear within a couple play sessions.

IMO, it's a complete and utter waste to augment recruit gear. It's really low end L50 gear and you can't swap mods in it. Your entire goal on hitting L50 is to replace recruit gear with something better, so why spend a huge amount of credits dumping augments in it? Even if you're not a hardcore player, if you use the groupfinder for HMs and OPs you can replace most of your recruit gear within a couple play sessions.

I'm my experience, it takes longer than a few play sessions to get columi and atleast a couple weeks of non-hardcore warzones to get BM. The mk-2 recruit is free and to fully augment it cost about 700k. That's about 2 days of running all your dailies. The mk-2 fully augmented is way cheaper than putting together a similar orange armor suit buying 24+ grade mods and enchancements. Plus, the new mk-2 suits are much more PvP competitive than the older mk-1 suits. When fully augmented it makes the grind to BM that much faster and easier.

I can solo all my lvl 50 dailies as well except for PS on Ilum and the 4-man in the BH. It's a decent set all in all (especially when augmented).

I have the old MK-1 Recruit armor, been gone a few months ...

I just loged in and wanted to compare the new MK-2 armor. If you do have the old armor be sure to carefully compare each piece. I was able to put together a very nice PvE suit of gear with minimal Expertise and Accuracy.

I had run through all the solo dalies durning 1.3 with my MK-1 Recruit gear with ease. I even ran several HM FPs and had no problems what-so-ever! I would not want to push it though, as a tank you are the cornerstone of the group and being undergeared will make everyones like harder.

I ended up fully augmenting my recruit MK-1 and MK-2 gear. Granted, it was free as my wife made me all the augments. We are also quite casual, there is NO WAY we could get out of recruit gear within a couple of play sessions. I salute you for being able to do so .. but for some people you are looking at a couple of weeks, or even a month+. I always like to be fully geared for the content I run, and never depend on others to pull me through, so I always take my time and gear up and do the content as I feel comfortable.

I ended up fully augmenting my recruit MK-1 and MK-2 gear. Granted, it was free as my wife made me all the augments. We are also quite casual, there is NO WAY we could get out of recruit gear within a couple of play sessions. I salute you for being able to do so .. but for some people you are looking at a couple of weeks, or even a month+. I always like to be fully geared for the content I run, and never depend on others to pull me through, so I always take my time and gear up and do the content as I feel comfortable.

If it works for you, go for it.

My main point is that the one poster was claiming for only $700k you can augment it. That is a huge waste of resources. Your entire goal is to dump recruit gear whether you're a PVEer or a PVPer. And few people upon hitting L50 have $700k they can spend for a limited bump in effectiveness.

The other issue is with that outlay of resources/credits, what can do you that you couldn't do otherwise? Before augmenting you could easily run the tier 1 storymode operations (EV & KP) and any hardmode flashpoint (except LI). You're still pretty much in the same boat after the augments. You can probably do the Hardmode EV/KP, but you can also do them after a few flashpoints (I did HM EV with like 3 columi pieces and the rest recruit and defeated my boss in plenty of time w/o help).

In general, you can earn at least one piece of gear per flashpoint or operation run. If you run a story mode operation via group finder, you should easily get 2 pieces of gear. Many people run them for the black hole commendations (which you also want as the quest reward), and could care less about the loot drops. This makes it quite easy to gear up as you have little competition for your classes loot .

Then you need to go and augment your new gear for another $700k (or whatever).

Edited by Infalliable

If it works for you, go for it.

My main point is that the one poster was claiming for only $700k you can augment it. That is a huge waste of resources. Your entire goal is to dump recruit gear whether you're a PVEer or a PVPer. And few people upon hitting L50 have $700k they can spend for a limited bump in effectiveness.

I 100% agree with you. I augmented my gear because it was FREE ... When I hit level 50, after training (only the skills I needed) and buying my MK-1 armor (no MK-2 armor at the time) I was down to around 10k credits ... and I do not skimp on doing quests ... I did very nearly 100% completion on all the planets I had visited.

If you can not get the augments for very VERY cheap, or free, I would suggest NOT augmenting your Recruit armor. The bonus to your stats is nice, but not necessary to start running some HM FPs, and 1 or 2 of the entry level OPs, which you will be getting Significantly better gear each and every run for the first few weeks.

I'm my experience, it takes longer than a few play sessions to get columi and atleast a couple weeks of non-hardcore warzones to get BM. The mk-2 recruit is free and to fully augment it cost about 700k. That's about 2 days of running all your dailies. The mk-2 fully augmented is way cheaper than putting together a similar orange armor suit buying 24+ grade mods and enchancements. Plus, the new mk-2 suits are much more PvP competitive than the older mk-1 suits. When fully augmented it makes the grind to BM that much faster and easier.

I can solo all my lvl 50 dailies as well except for PS on Ilum and the 4-man in the BH. It's a decent set all in all (especially when augmented).

I don't really PvP once I hit 50 but I do stockpile some WZ comms before then to give me a couple of BM pieces when I ding. I fill in the rest with Recruit on all my new 50s. Within 2 days of maxing, my 2 latest 50s have gotten 56 mods in all pieces. Some was Columi some was Exotech some was Battlemaster and none of it was sent over from my main. Grand total was about 5 HM FPs through Group Finder, no guild runs, just random PUGs. Less than 5 hours total.

Now maybe I just got lucky with drops but there is no point augmenting Recruit if you plan to PvE, even running 1 HM a day you can get rid of it in a week, maybe 2. If you're grinding dailies and not doing group content it may be worth it but those can be done in your fresh 50 gear anyway so recruit is already over gearing.

I've never finished the BM grind, so again I'm not sure about augmenting recruit for PvP.

We just have a difference in perspective when it comes to the issue. I do not describe 700k as a significant resource when it comes to increasing an important stat like power, aim, or absorb (as a tank) by a factor of 176 pts.

The other issue is with that outlay of resources/credits, what can do you that you couldn't do otherwise? Before augmenting you could easily run the tier 1 storymode operations (EV & KP) and any hardmode flashpoint (except LI). You're still pretty much in the same boat after the augments. You can probably do the Hardmode EV/KP, but you can also do them after a few flashpoints (I did HM EV with like 3 columi pieces and the rest recruit and defeated my boss in plenty of time w/o help).

Augments are not going to bring any suit to a whole new level... But it will increase your survivability and, depending on your augment, increase the speed at which you kill things... If you're going to be in recruit for a while because of lack of game time or lack of a solid and consistent guild, the benefit of the augmented suit will add up over time.

In general, you can earn at least one piece of gear per flashpoint or operation run. If you run a story mode operation via group finder, you should easily get 2 pieces of gear. Many people run them for the black hole commendations (which you also want as the quest reward), and could care less about the loot drops. This makes it quite easy to gear up as you have little competition for your classes loot

Tier I HM FPs drop one unassembled columi piece at the end. You have a 1 in 4 chance of it being something you can even use as the unassembled pieces are class specific. Running HM FPs in PUGs (and especially in OPs) is hit or miss. I've been in grps where EVERYONE is in recruit and others where everyone is way over-geared... some that I can finish within 30 mins or less, while others can take almost an hour or more.

Gearing up without a crew to run you through it can be slow and tedious. Conversely, you can grind out 700k in 2 days.

And to the dude who is like "ah, hehehehe hehehe hehehe, I just have my suit augments cause, hehehehe hehehe hehehe, my wife can make augments for free".....

/smh

It cost 30k to install each of the 11 possible slots. So you have a minimum cost of 330k to augment.... And to make those MK-6 augments you need 10 mk-6 augment components which require:

1) buy off the GTN (not cost efficient)

2) reverse engineering higher lvl junk armor from loot drops

3) the tedious and resource intensive process of making 10 bracers to reverse engineering just so you can have 1 of 4 resource requirements to make ONE mk-6 augment.

If you're going to augment because you, like me, are a player that cannot quickly get out of recruit but doesnt want to be stuck in vanilla recruit for weeks, augmenting your suit off the GTN for around 700k is a sound bet. It will improve your offensive or defensive abilities to a level that is worthwhile.