Thanks for 1.4.1

ufarax

Holding back a patch for weeks because "some" are having graphics issues, but "many" are not does not really seem like the best approach. Clearly, if they borked everyones graphics performance there is no way it goes live. But when there is a minority of players impacted, yeah.... it must be fixed, but I don't see holding back a patch for issues affecting a minority of players. [And when I say minority of players, that in no way trivializes the impact to them or the importance of Bioware fixing the issues for them, so please don't go a ragin'.]

Many affected players without Crossfire or SLI (which are clearly separate issues) have found running the game in full screen windowed mode fixes the issue until it gets permananently fixed on Biowares side. Same for rolling back drivers for some, and the same for making in game adjustments for others. My point being, there are things players can do on their side of things to improve quality of play for them until Bioware stamps out the issue with a patch.

So BioWare shouldn't care about bugs as long as it only effects a minority of players?

If BioWare cared about their customers they would make sure that the game was runnign properly for everyone before making it live, to do otherwise is just wrong.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know I'm not the only one with the stuttering problem. I'm running a single nvidia gtx 560 ti, with 16 gigs of ram and amd 1100T 6 core processor. Haven't really tried any of the "workarounds" but then my attention has been drawn elsewhere lately. I agree that the standard "it's your computer not ours" canned reply is old.

So in short... Spare me your pity patience BS... EA/Bioware has known since BETA its their poor re-design of a game engine and continual chopping/hacking away at it only making it generally worse the more they go, but hey since its MMOs and they have your sub money they get to get off free saying "its your computer not ours" when we've all clearly identified that even the damn MaximumPC Dream Machines chokes on this busted code...

Perhaps Bioware can prove in a FRAPs video on their setups how smooth/flawless the game runs while taking video of the fairies and unicorns running along side them since they seem to be in some mythical realm outside the normal we all get to reside in.

^^This kind of sums the whole "hero engine debate" pretty well.

How could this happen on a 200 million USD project (or whatever the actual number is) project, is simply beyond me.

Not really sure what stuttering people are having. Mines not stuttering, the only thing mine appears to be doing is tearing some of the textures. On my Commando I'll get perpendicular streaks from firing my Assault Cannon. Almost looks like my shots are splitting and going in two different directions. The other thing which I submitted a bug report for yesterday is that now sometimes my auto fire doesn't shoot at all. The character will do the animation like he's firing yet no shots come out of the gun and no damage to the mob. Sometimes I'll get it three times in a row, yet I can't tell if it happens after anything particular.

How could this happen on a 200 million USD project (or whatever the actual number is) project, is simply beyond me.

Well for starters instead of getting a licence/lease for the game engine they went ahead and purchased it outright as is. So in essence the engine wasn't fully complete yet when they purchased it. Wasn't even optimized yet at the time of the purchase. Since it's not a licence or lease there isn't any sort of way to get updates for updated tools pertaining to the engine. Basically be buying it all over again for updates.

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

So any sort of optimization tweeks or whatever have to be done in-house.

Edited by Raideag

Not really sure what stuttering people are having. Mines not stuttering, the only thing mine appears to be doing is tearing some of the textures. On my Commando I'll get perpendicular streaks from firing my Assault Cannon. Almost looks like my shots are splitting and going in two different directions. The other thing which I submitted a bug report for yesterday is that now sometimes my auto fire doesn't shoot at all. The character will do the animation like he's firing yet no shots come out of the gun and no damage to the mob. Sometimes I'll get it three times in a row, yet I can't tell if it happens after anything particular.

I had no stuttering (although I had other 1.4 bugs) till yesterday on Alderaan.

I can see why people say it is unplayable, it genuinely is. Strangely it's fine again now.

I had no stuttering (although I had other 1.4 bugs) till yesterday on Alderaan.

I can see why people say it is unplayable, it genuinely is. Strangely it's fine again now.

I still can't play the game at the level of resolution that I could BEFORE patch 1.4. It is more playable now but it is still a degraded experience compared to BEFORE patch 1.4. In other news ... Druids are OP in WoW now! :p

Well for starters instead of getting a licence/lease for the game engine they went ahead and purchased it outright as is. So in essence the engine wasn't fully complete yet when they purchased it. Wasn't even optimized yet at the time of the purchase. Since it's not a licence or lease there isn't any sort of way to get updates for updated tools pertaining to the engine. Basically be buying it all over again for updates.

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

So any sort of optimization tweeks or whatever have to be done in-house.

Oh stop with this nonsense. The people that made the Hero Engine had 25 freaking employees, Bioware had 800 and a $200 million budget. Bioware had far superior resources that would never have been matched by the tiny company that wrote it.

Oh stop with this nonsense. The people that made the Hero Engine had 25 freaking employees, Bioware had 800 and a $200 million budget. Bioware had far superior resources that would never have been matched by the tiny company that wrote it.

Agreed but, I think the point that Raideag was trying to make was that now that the SWTOR Hero engine has "diverged" from the Normative Hero Engine baseline, it essentually has become it's own entity. While the Hero Engine proper is advancing in technology. The SWTOR Hero engine is languishing. It may be languishing so much so that there would be no way to use any upgrades from the Hero Engine Proper to "fix" the SWTOR Hero Engine. I have seen this happen in the past with other products. :cool:

An in house engine or a proven reliable engine would have been a better solution from the get go, even the developers stated things they thought would take days took weeks to get working in hero.

It's all hind sight now and really nothing can be done without re-writing the entire game.

I've had my account frozen until they can resolve the issue. I don't lose any playtime or the active account status and I will be refunded for the time I've lost due to the unplayability factor. Bioware has been pretty fair to me and acknowledge there is an issue that they are trying to resolve..most likely in the oct 16th patch.

People can whine or be proactive and call them, save themselves sub money without fear of losing their cartel rewards. Their numbers are under the support tab on the forum. Honestly they're very aware, and are trying to fix the issues. They just aren't very good at communication

I've seen happen before at the amounts of money you're talking about. Consult on a couple of large scale PeopleSoft conversions and you'll realize why Oracle gets regularly sued for millions due to cost overruns and various levels of brokenness during implementation or upgrades.