The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tactics or Assault for low level (sub-40)?

Kurugi

Hi all. Just wondering which tree is more reliable early on before you're able to get all the bells and whistles. I read over on the PT forum that AP (Tactics) isn't really that good until you can get Fire Pulse but I like the sound of Tactics since the changes in 1.4 even though I don't really have a lot of experience with the tree.

Basically will I be shooting myself in the foot if I try to level as Tactics all the way instead of starting off as Assault and switching to Tactics later? I'll also be doing a lot of PvP and am playing on a PvP server, just in case that matters.

Hmm.

What I might do is go Shield spec till I can get Ionic Accelator since that seems to be one of the main talents that makes Assault tick and go Assault till 40 then give Tactics a try. The extra survivability from Shield spec and Ion Cell would probably help more in the lower levels in PvP when I'm still missing a lot of my abiltiies.

Assault is fine from 1-50 really, because of how awesome Plasma Cell is. You can literally do nothing but spam Hammer Shots with Plasma Cell and I promise you will get top 3 DPS in most warzones.

That said, to be the biggest asset to your team, your best bet is probably shield until level 25, then go back to assault to get prototype ionic accelerator (high impact bolt reset), then if you want to play Tactics, switch around 40 (though Assault remains viable the whole time).

Assault is fine from 1-50 really, because of how awesome Plasma Cell is. You can literally do nothing but spam Hammer Shots with Plasma Cell and I promise you will get top 3 DPS in most warzones.

That said, to be the biggest asset to your team, your best bet is probably shield until level 25, then go back to assault to get prototype ionic accelerator (high impact bolt reset), then if you want to play Tactics, switch around 40 (though Assault remains viable the whole time).

So basically what I said in my last post. :p