Rooting for TOR to fail won't bring back SWG

Liquidzero

I actually think they tried too hard to listen to the fan base.

"I want PvP", "I hate PvP - don't let it influence PvE", "I want story", "I want raids", "the game is from 1 - x", the game starts at level cap"

It goes on and on.

Face it. If you got any game with all the features that you want it is not likely to appeal to everyone. It is like trying to juggle sand.

Nonsense, the IP and potential is enormous, just not properly utilized. SWG was a total success by MMO standards right up until the devs tried to force their vision of fun onto the playerbase who were happy where they were.

According to one of the lead designers, it was losing 10k subscribers per month before NGE hit. If that's a roaring success...

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

According to one of the lead designers, it was losing 10k subscribers per month before NGE hit. If that's a roaring success...

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

Yeah and people can make anything sound like anything should they want to but whats your point? It was still a success in MMO terms and every MMO will suffer from attrition without desired expansions, thats simply lifecycle.

In regards to SWGs CU and NGE, Smedley the guy who thought them up and forced them through said they were "Stupid decisions. Complete and utter fail and I am very sorry", cant get much more succinct than that can you.

Problem is SWTOR doesnt seem to be learning from the mistakes of others, they are not conversing or listening to their customers and push things through because thats their "vision" which is a dangerous approach in the current climate and on a game in the somewhat perilous state SWTOR is (no Im not suggesting its going to vanish, more that its not remotely close to meeting EAs worst expectations and people are getting canned left and right)

Just to clarify, Im not a long time SWG player or even a fan, I can just appreciate the debacle that resulted in egos and arrogance riding roughshod over the consumer and ending in total failure.

Edited by Slurmez

Most of the people that are pining over SWG are probably the same people who were constantly complaining about SWG's many imperfections back in the day.

This. There were so many people in the forums complaining about this and that no matter what they did. Then the announcement was made they were closing the game and then they changed their tune.

a sad fact is , that i had more fun reading some forum posts, than i ever had in the game

sure there was humourous parts, but they were ruined by other things , nearby combat,

or other noise. this is one of the "unfunniest " games ive tried. compared to the movies

humour was almost non present

This. There were so many people in the forums complaining about this and that no matter what they did. Then the announcement was made they were closing the game and then they changed their tune.

I am pretty sure that should one day SWTOR close people would do the same here.

I can't imagine investors kicking in millions and millions of dollars for not one, but two Star Wars MMO's that have failed. Better hope TOR survives, because you will NEVER see another SW MMO after this one.

Not only do i disagree, but every day more news comes out about devs quitting and this game failing (and it is the most epic of fails) makes me smile and laugh.

They shut down SWG for this....FOR THIS. HaHaHAHAH

Also, if you didn't like the SWG CU, standby for this. Because i sense one coming in SWTOR. This is getting good.

The dedication to original vision of SWG is astounding. I can't believe how much work has gone into keeping it alive.

It makes me wnder if people would do the same here. Every time I see someone leave SWTOR it seems they are going to another game that can replace the gaming time they have.

With SWG there is no other alternative but to rebuild it.

Not only would a private-dev team NEVER rebuild this game, but it wouldn't be possible. Simply because SWG was REAL MMO and a sandbox MMO, with a player driven community and open world, open ended content that was made by yourself and its player base. This, SWTOR, is a themepark, that leaves 0 for creative content and uniqueness. It REQUIRES a dev team to constantly create spoon fed content.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Not only do i disagree, but every day more news comes out about devs quitting and this game failing (and it is the most epic of fails) makes me smile and laugh.

They shut down SWG for this....FOR THIS. HaHaHAHAH

Also, if you didn't like the SWG CU, standby for this. Because i sense one coming in SWTOR. This is getting good.

i never played SWG, what did CU do there? simplify combat?

i never played SWG, what did CU do there? simplify combat?

It changed the entire combat system around. Picture combat in SWOTR as it is now: global cooldowns, abilities usage, jumps, stuns knockbacks.....and then picture a combat-upgrade where none of that exists anymore and they move to a new model. Thats basically what the SWG Combat Upgrade was like.

SWG had basically 2 combat upgrades (CU and the NGE). I played SWG for 7+ years and personally like all 3 formats of the game and all its changes.

That said, i sense one coming here in SWTOR. Everyone keeps complaining about stuns, resolve and imbalanced classes. Though, i honestly doubt it will be as DRASTIC as SWG's Combat-Upgrade was.

Edited by SOULCASTER

I can't imagine investors kicking in millions and millions of dollars for not one, but two Star Wars MMO's that have failed. Better hope TOR survives, because you will NEVER see another SW MMO after this one.

Good because I can tell you that as a Star Wars fan I am no longer longing for a SW MMO. It is now clear that they are completely unable to get anything from this IP.

So let them fail. At some point they will realize that their playerbase has and will always have the final word.

SWTOR is curently ''failing'' because it costed way more mony than it made so far.

SOE sold 1m copies by August 2005. Sure, that's only half of SWTOR, but the costs of SWTOR was waaaaay higher than SWG. And don't forget, even tough they lost alot of subscribers after NGE, they still kept the game going for years, taking 15$ a month. And they added a card game that made good money too.

It won't bring back SWG, but it might free up the SW franchise for a new mmo made by a real design studio and not by a hodgepodge of refugees from former failed mmos like WAR, which were then gathered in a new EA studio in Austin and marketed as a Bioware branch (when nothing could be further from the truth).

It won't bring back SWG, but it might free up the SW franchise for a new mmo made by a real design studio and not by a hodgepodge of refugees from former failed mmos like WAR, which were then gathered in a new EA studio in Austin and marketed as a Bioware branch (when nothing could be further from the truth).

LOL and who would invest any mony into IP knowing that it contains of the most hateful, spitiful fans in known universe.

LOL and who would invest any mony into IP knowing that it contains of the most hateful, spitiful fans in known universe.

hey, i recent that,,Vorgons are way more evil than us

first mistake,,too much VO,,to a few story missions yes, but rather spend resources on bigger zones

with more varied mobs, and everyday world,,weather, day/night

second mistake 16 classes not even wow has that with 8 years

and not mirroring the classes makes them very hard to balance in pvp

third mistake a star wars game with a small on rails shooter as the only space part?

one of the most important aspects of the game was wasted right there

fourth mistake game wasnt ready , when they launched it

fifth mistake the launch,,letting players spread over too many servers, they should have controlled that flow

yes they fumbled it big,,sadly,,now let us bury this "thing" so another company can have a chance

i KNOW that there will be an EPIC STAR WARS one day,,in a galaxy far, far, away..

i just hope i live long enough to see it:p