Nameplates = Stuttering, Shadows = Fine

coruscantdweller

If the Devs don't already know this (though I'm guessing they do), I hope they see this thread.

After running in circles around the Taris Imperial orbital station with various settings and my companion dismissed, I found that enabling shadows on my machine does NOT cause much stuttering; a little, but not nearly enough to ruin my experience.

The moment I target an NPC or summon my companion (thus, cause a nameplate to appear on the screen), I get some hardcore stuttering.

My machine:

Toshiba Satellite S855-S5268

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Intel Core i7-3610QM

AMD Radeon HD 7670M

16 GB of RAM

Native Resolution = 1366x768

(The game suggests I run at the "Very High" graphics preset)

I hope this helps.

Okay, I'll spread my 10 minutes of morning research around. If you suddenly encounter micro stutters ingame, try the following: Select the "Very High" graphics preset, then turn "Shader Complexity" to very low. This will change a few other settings as well. Hit Apply. Are the stutters now gone?

If so, you are experiencing the same phenomena as I did. What helped me was installing this DirectX 9 update, suggested by someone in an old thread on these forums. Quit the game, install the patch, start the game, select the "Very High" template again, hit apply. It did the trick for me, I'm now running smoother than ever with nice new shadows and actually improved fps.

After this procedure, I get an average of 70 fps. My machine's not that special, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same.

For reference, I'm running an i5 2500, 8 GB DDR3 ram, Z68 chipset, some cheapskate chinese brand gtx 260 XT, nVidia driver version 306.23

Edited by tacito

You'll find that nameplates off does help a bit but there is still an unacceptable amount of lost frames etc and the image does still stutter. Sure, turning name plates off helps, but the remaining stutter is still noticable and is causing headaches, eye strain and various problems for MANY people.

This was reported to them on the PUBLIC TEST SERVER and it went live despite everything. The new shadows are OK but they are not worth the game breaking performance they introduced.

People with very good rigs that used to play with everything maxxed and get silky performance no play with everything maxxed minus shadows and nameplates etc and still get ocasionally decent framperates as measured by FPS BUT they get lots of artifacts and lost frames and other issues that make the FPS number a lie.

ROLL BACK TO PRE 1.4 GRAPHICS. The new shadows are really not worth it and you were told this before you updated and you pushed an update through that is going to cause advocate level players to quit.